Google+ Button Facebook Button Twitter Button



Ads by Yahoo

You are here:


Groves back with a unanimous decision verdict to claim European crown and WBC mandatory position

(Photo credit: Philip Sharkey)‘Saint’ George Groves (20-2, 15 KOs) returned in style on Saturday night. The Hammersmith boxer announced himself back on the world scene with a unanimous decision verdict over the tough Frenchman Christopher Rebrasse (22-3-3, 6 KOs) in a final eliminator for the WBC World Super Middleweight title.

‘’It feels great to be back,’’ said Groves. ‘’Rebrasse was a good opponent, a very tough guy, he took an awful lot of shots and kept coming. I knew it was going to be a hard fight. I felt in good condition but you always have to be cautious against a guy that has never been stopped. I want to entertain, I want to knock people out. I didn’t manage that tonight but I gave it real good go. Things are only going to get better from here. We’re getting ready to take over the world!’’ Continue reading

Groves: I don’t think Anthony Dirrell can stand up to my power

George Groves (20-2, 15 KOs) captured the EBU super middleweight title tonight in beating champion Christopher Rebrasse (22-3-3, 6 KOs) by a 12 round unanimous decision in their WBC super middleweight eliminator fight at Wembley Stadium in London, UK.

Groves is now on a crash course for a title shot against WBC super middleweight champion Anthony Dirrell (27-0-1, 22 KO. Groves thinks that Dirrell would have folded had he been in the ring tonight instead of Rebrasse.

“I knockout a lot of guys and he [Rebrasse] took a lot on the chin tonight,” Groves said after the fight. “Dirrell, I don’t think he’d stand up to that. He’s the champion, I’ll give him that respect. He says he doesn’t want to come to the UK. We [Sauerland] might just make him. He says he doesn’t want to fight me. Well, now he has to. He better do his research because his facts so far are unclear and he’s in for a rude awakening. I want to keep busy, I want to keep the momentum. Hopefully, I’ll be challenging for the title before Christmas.” Continue reading

Star Boxing Signs “The Irish Bomber” Joe Smith Jr.

(September 19th) During an brief intermission at Star Boxing’s “Rockin Fights 15″ at Long Island’s hottest boxing venue Star Boxing President and CEO Joe Deguardia announced the signing of Shirley, Long Island’s promising light heavyweight Joe “The Irish Bomber” Smith Jr.

The 24 year old Irishman coming with an impressive amateur pedigree including two New York Gold Glove and New York City Metro titles can best be described as a boxing reincarnation combination of Philadelphia’s Jack O’Brien and “Irish” Bob Murphy.

Turning pro October 2009 winning his first six inside the distance, Smith’s KO run came to an abrupt stop August 2010 versus Lawrence, Massachusetts slugger Eddie “Thunder” Caminero. Continue reading

Dargan & Mchunu Walk Away With NABF Titles

In the main event of the afternoonn cruiserweights Thabiso “The Rock” Mchunu (17-1, 11 KOs) and Garrett “The Ultimate Warrior” Wilson (13-8-1, 7 KOs) faced off for the NABF Cruiserweight Title.

The ten-round cruiserweight match-up between Mchunu’s southpaw style and Wilson’s wild style made for an exciting fight. Thabiso landed some clean shots and Wilson countered to no avail. The fifth round was slow with Wilson chasing down Mchunu and Wilson finally landing some shots. The ninth round started off with a bang, both fighters were trading big punches. The crowd began chanting for Wilson and the action started to pick up in the final round with both fighters coming out swinging. In the tenth, the referee deducted a point from Mchunu for holding, but it did not matter as Mchunu retained his NABF Cruiserweight Title with a unanimous decision victory (96-93, 99-90 and 98-91). Continue reading

Groves defeats Rebrasse, now WBC mandatory for Dirrell

Using a high volume attack, George Groves (20-2, 15 KOs) beat EBU super middleweight champion Christopher Rebrasse (22-3-3, 6 KOs) by a 12 round unanimous decision on Saturday night to put himself in as the WBC mandatory challenger at the Wembley Arena in London, UK.

Groves is now the mandatory to WBC super middleweight champion Anthony Dirrell. Groves constantly attacked Rebrasse throughout the fight, throwing punch after punch in hopes of scoring a knockout.

When the KO failed to happen, Groves had to slow down some to pace himself because he was burning out badly by the 8th round. It was lucky for him that Rebrasse had zero power for as tired as Groves was, he would have likely been knocked out.

Continue reading

Cletus Seldin blasts out Gil!

Before another packed house on Friday, Sept. 19th, at The Paramount in Huntington, NY, undefeated, fast rising, Jr. Welterweight prospect Cletus “The Hebrew Hammer” Seldin (14-0 11KO’s Long Island, NY), blasted out spoiler Ramesis Gil with a sensational one punch knockout in the 2nd round of a scheduled 10 round Jr. Welterweight bout.

Both fighters came out aggressively in the first round with each scoring hard shots and little to choose between them. The 2nd round began with Seldin stalking Gil (8-9-5 5KO’s Santo Domingo, DR) backing him up. Seldin beat Gil to the punch and landed a thunderous right hand on Gil’s chin. Gil crumpled to the mat and was counted out giving Seldin his 11th KO in 14 fights. Continue reading

Gilbert Defeats Matthews in an Action Packed Fight

Chris Gilbert escaped with an eight round unanimous decision by three scorecards of 76-75 in a close back and forth action packed bout over Steve Matthews. Windsor, Vermont native, Gilbert, improved to 12-1, 9KOs and got back into the win column following a lost in his last outing to Daniel Sostre. Matthews, from Greensboro, North Carolina, fell to 4-1, 2KOs.

Matthews controlled the first round and then Gilbert landed a devastating right hook that knockdown Matthews in the next round. Matthews barely beat the count as the bell rang ending the round. This was the first knockdown he has suffered as a professional. Matthews went after Gilbert in the third round and for the next six rounds, it was great two way action between these two fighters, as they both landed significant punches and the momentum shifted back and forth. Matthews was the more active boxer and landed the crisper punches in the fight while Gilbert connected on the more powerful shots. This was Gilbert`s fourth time fighting at the “Fight to Educate” event. Hopefully both of these junior middleweights can box one another in a rematch in the near future. Continue reading

Rebrasse looking to wreck Groves’ world title hopes

Sometimes losing pays off for certain fighters. That was never more the case with George Groves (19-2, 15 KOs), who will be fighting in the WBC’s super middleweight title eliminator tonight against #3 WBC Christopher Rebrasse (22-2-3, 6 KOs) at the Wembley Arena in London, UK. Groves is coming off of two knockout losses in a row to Carl Froch.

The WBC doesn’t care that Groves has lost his last two fights. They feel that he fought well enough to rank above the likes of Sakio Bika and a number of other quality fighters in the top 15 rankings.

If Groves beats the 28-year-old Rebrasse tonight then he’ll be facing WBC super middleweight champion Anthony Dirrell for his WBC title in either December or early 2015. Rebrasse will be looking to beat Groves tonight and wreck his plans for a world title shot. Continue reading

Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues

NEW YORK(September 18, 2014) – After completing a 12-day, 27,273 mile international media tour, one would think a nice rest would be in order. For Chris Algieri though, that simply hasn’t been the case. Then again, there are not any fighters in the world quite like the undefeated WBO junior welterweight champion and Huntington native, who is set to take on Fighter of the Decade Manny Pacquiao, boxing’s only eight-division world champion, on Saturday, November 22. The Pacquiao vs. Algieri world welterweight championship event will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View®, beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET / 6:00 p.m. PT. Continue reading

The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton

Excerpt from The Sweet Sucker Punch – “A Tribute to Georgie Benton (1933 – 2011)”: It was a balmy spring day in Philly and I was feeling pretty battle ready, so I decided to cruise North Philly and visit ‘Smoking’ Joe Frazier’s Cloverlay Gym on Broad St. I needed unfamiliar sparring to keep my guns sharp. It was about 1pm, a slow time at the gym. There were only a few boxers and a couple of trainers milling around. I remember it well, that nostril-attacking odor of sweaty gloves and pungent hand-wraps when opening the door.

But this smell was spiked with the hint of a familiar, exotically aroma. It was Georgie Benton’s cologne wafting the stale air as he strutted around the floor in his tailor-made outfit and big-brimmed hat angled on his head. Then I heard that unmistakably raspy voice: “Aayy Baby Cakes, ‘what’s happ’nin?” Continue reading

Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank

At just 22 Kiwi Joseph Parker is one of the most exciting heavyweight prospects to come along in some time. Now living and training out of Las Vegas with Kevin Barry, Parker is set to face the very durable Sherman ‘The Tank’ Williams at the Trusts Arena in Auckland New Zealand on October the 16th in what will only be his 11th pro fight. We caught up with Joseph to get his thoughts amongst other things on the fight, how he first got into the sport and the fighters he grew up most admiring.

ESB: Hi Joseph, thanks for making time for us today. What was it that first made you lace up the gloves? Was it your dad that got you in to the sport? How old were you when you started fighting in the amateur ranks and did you have immediate success?

JP: Yeah my dad had an interest in boxing so I came up quite young, probably around the age of about 4 or 5. Then I had my first fight when I was 12 years old. It went well, I got the win and I sort of carried on from there. I did a lot of travelling and represented New Zealand from about 16 onwards.

Continue reading

Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue

MACAO (September 18, 2014) — World champions VASYL LOMACHENKO and JESSIE VARGAS and China’s most iconic athlete, undefeated Top-Five contender ZOU SHIMING, will be featured in exciting battles on the MANNY “Pacman” PACQUIAO vs. CHRIS ALGIERI World Welterweight Championship pay-per-view undercard. Promoted by Top Rank® and Sands China Ltd., in association with MP Promotions, Joe DeGuardia’s Star Boxing, Banner Promotions and Tecate, the Pacquiao-Algieri world welterweight championship event will take place Saturday, November 22, at The Venetian® Macao’s Cotai Arena, and will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View®, beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET / 6:00 p.m. PT. Continue reading

1 2 3 363