Abel Perry hoping to get a big fight
Colorado Springs, CO (August 8, 2012) – Abel “Truth Serum” Perry is sick of opponents pulling out of fights and the 6 ½ months wasted because of it.
With a five bout winning streak intact Perry, 18-5 (9 KO’s), twice was scheduled for a potentially career-changing match against Antonio Margarito, but the “Tijuana Tornado” surprisingly elected to retire. To make matters worse, the retirement took place following an initial postponement due to an injury. After spending time in camp alongside middleweight titlist Gennady Golovkin and stablemate Carson Jones, the Colorado City, CO native signed to fight hard-hitting Emmanuel Steward protégé Tony Harrison August 25 in Michigan.
Shortly after agreeing to face Harrison, Perry’s manager Bobby Dobbs received an offer for unbeaten Alex Perez in New York City. Out of respect, Dobbs turned the Perez fight down because he’d agreed for Perry to fight Harrison.
Although he’s not recognized at the level of Margarito, Harrison, 9-0 (8 KO’s) is very highly regarded and Perry was training hard to hand him his first career defeat. To his total disgust, Harrison decided that he wanted an easier opponent and backed out of the fight.
“This is so frustrating because I signed the contract and was ready to go,” said Perry. “Harrison comes from Emmanuel Steward’s stable so I thought he would’ve taken fight. He is a talented guy from a world class camp but I would be the best opponent he’s ever faced. Maybe he was worried because of my experience.”
Even with the recent letdowns, Perry’s still confident something big will happen in the near future.
“I’m committed to making a name for myself and hope to get back in the ring as soon as possible. I want to step up and take on more tough opponents in meaningful fights. I want to show people in the fight community that I’m worth keeping an eye on.”
Fans can interact with Abel by going to http://www.facebook.com/abelperry or HDboxing.net.
- Michael Jennings: “Matty can’t think past his next fight”
- Price’s ring-return delayed by virus
- Lionell Thompson plans to destroy Ryan Coyne Saturday in Atlantic City
- Local Stars Triumph In WBF Title Fights
- “Malignaggi, Rigondeaux, Sturm, Lara, Porter, and Kirkland” edition of “The Pugilist KOrner’s: Weekend Wrap”
- Robert Stieglitz vs Arthur Abraham III Official: March 1st in Magdeburg
- Video: All Access: Broner vs. Maidana – Full Episode
- Thrill-a-minute slugger James Kirkland is BACK!
- Dazzling Darren Barker fails to weather the Sturm; Post Fight Video Interviews
- Sakio Bika Draws With Anthony Dirrell: Retains WBC 168 lb Strap
- Malignaggi defeats Judah, wants Broner-Maidana winner
- Rigondeaux dominates Agbeko; Macklin defeats Russ; Kirkland stops Tapia
- Malignaggi decisions Judah; Porter defeats Alexander; Lara beats Trout
- Italy 4-1 Germany: Team Deutschland crushed