- Skelton: Joshua could be another Audley Harrison
- Matthew Macklin and Anthony Joshua headline Aug 30 Dublin Show
- UniMás to Air Rigondeaux Title Defense at Venetian Macao, July 19 at 11 PM ET/PT
- Derek Ennis Steps in to Face Caleb Truax on Friday, July 25, At UIC Pavilion in Chicago
- Czar Returns to Sands 8/9 for NBCSN Fight Night
- Gavronski, Tureano Headline ESPN Friday Night Fights and Noche de Combates
Andre Ward will need shoulder surgery, fight with Kelly Pavlik off
By Bill Phanco: WBA/WBC super middleweight champion Andre Ward (26-0, 14 KO’s) will reportedly require shoulder surgery on his right shoulder to fix a problem that occurred in late November while sparring to get ready for his fight with Kelly Pavlik.
It was originally thought that Ward’s injured shoulder would heal with rest, but unfortunately it’s not healing the way they thought it would and he’ll need surgery. Ward’s scheduled fight with Pavlik on February 23rd has been cancelled, and Pavlik’s manager Cameron Dunkin is reportedly looking in another direction. Steve Kim is reporting that Pavlik could face former IBF super middleweight champion Lucian Bute in March, although nothing was said about that from ESPN.
Pavlik should consider this a good thing that his fight with Ward is off, because he really didn’t have much of a chance to win the fight. It would have been bad for him unless he were to come up with a knockout to somehow negate Ward’s superior skills.
The shoulder injury has got to be frustrating for Ward, because he wanted to beat Pavlik in impressive fashion and then to face the winner of the Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler fight next year. Ward can still fight the winner of that fight, but it might have to wait until late 2013.
Injuries that require shoulder surgery often take a lot of rehabilitation before the shoulder is back to full strength. He could be out for a while. What Ward doesn’t need is to come back too quickly and end up re-injuring it and needing more surgery to fix the problem.
According to ESPN, Ward had an MRI done on his injured shoulder and there weren’t any tears, and no tears to his rotator cuff. However, there is a lot of swelling and the shoulder isn’t improving.
- Cameron Hammond outpoints Argentina’s Alfredo Rodolfo Blanco
- Ruslan Chagaev wins “Regular” WBA heavyweight title with majority decision win over Fres Oquendo
- Farenas stops Davis in 8th Dib & Martin win decisions
- Williams, Vincent remain unbeaten through tough battles on undercard of ESPN showcase
- Tori Nelson retains title in Baltimore!
- Younan And Cruz Stay Unbeaten At Foxwoods
- De Alba wins 11th in a row with 5th round stoppage over Batres
- Iron Mike Promotions: “Judgement Day” – Live Tonight on FoxSports1 (8ET/5PT)
- Let’s give Jesús the Space He’s Earned
- Weights From Miami, Florida: Argenis Mendez, 129.8 vs. Rances Bathelemy 130
- Mikey Garcia: Lara could out-box Canelo
- Lara: After Canelo, I want Mayweather
- Brook: I’ll prove I am the real deal against Porter
- Canelo vs Lara Grand Arrival Photos, Videos