- Bermane Stiverne Interview: The WBC Heavyweight Champion Speaks Out
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Floyd Mayweather, Marcos Maidana, Timothy Bradley, and more!
- The Current 20 Most Exciting Boxers – A Statistical Analysis
- Arum wants Pacquiao vs. Mayweather in Macao, China
- Ashley Theophane talks Floyd Mayweather and Mayhem
- Atlas: Mayweather did just enough to win
- Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 Premieres This Saturday on SHOWTIME Immediately Followed By “ALL ACESS: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 Epilogue”
- Lange-Jeter 2 The Rematch set for Nov. 15 at Patriot Center
- POPULAR TWO-TIME NEW YORK GOLDEN GLOVES CHAMPION EARL NEWMAN TO MAKE PRO DEBUT ON OCTOBER 4TH AT FOXWOODS RESORT CASINO, IN MASHANTUCKET, CONN.
- Special Afternoon Edition of Fight Night on Broadcast NBC
- TICKET ALERT!! IMP Presents The Pride of Pittsburgh II, Friday November 14th
- TRAVIS SCOTT HEADLINES WFC 30, PROFESSIONAL BOXING IN BATON ROUGE
Ashie vs Tagoe weigh-in Friday
By Prince Dornu-Leiku - Despite the tragic death of his mum in a ghastly motor accident barely four days before fight night, Asamoah Gyan’s debut as boxing promoter will still come off Saturday night at the Accra Sports Stadium, with the newly appointed Ghana national soccer team captain expected in the country to supervise the ‘Clash of Kings’ bill.
Former IBF Intercontinental and WBO Africa champion at Junior Lightweight, Emmanuel Tagoe (18-1, 8 KOs) and reigning Commonwealth Junior Lightweight champion George Ashie (23-3-1, 16 KOs) clash for the WBA International Lightweight belt in the main event of the 6-bout bill of Gyan’s BabyJet Promotions.
An electric atmosphere is expected beginning with Friday morning’s weigh-in and press conference which will set the stage for the real thing the next day. With both boxers boasting a vociferous fan base, Saturday night’s fight extravaganza at the nation’s number one sports centre could also possibly be the biggest boxing event ever staged in the history of the West African country famous for producing world champions.
Some of Asamoah Gyan’s footballer and musician friends are also expected in tow to lend their full support to the part-time musician with their presence and performances in-between fights.
Tagoe is trained by the legendary Azumah Nelson, former world champion and Hall of Famer of course whilst Ashie’s coach is Godwin Djanie Alloway, the trainer Joshua Clottey claimed would have helped him beat Pacquiao.
The crafty Tagoe, known to his fans as Game Boy has vowed to teach Ashie boxing lessons he will never forget but the soft spoken Ashie , nicknamed Red Tiger, won’t budge declaring to let his fist do the talking in the ring.
“If I win the fight through a majority decision I’ll stop boxing, I’m going to discipline Ashie and win by a unanimous decision. I want to also tell my fans to work hard to get a lot of money to bet because I assure them I will win for them to double their money as a compensation for their loyalty of support to me over the years. I will prove to all Ghanaians that I’m the best in the country,” Tagoe has sworn.
Ashie responded: “Boxing is in the ring, not a matter of big talk so my hands will do the talking for me in the ring. I’m fully fit and prepared enough to deliver so I’m calling on all my fans to come in their numbers and I promise to make them happy.”
Five other fights are also scheduled for the BabyJet Promotions maiden event, all pugilist also set for the weigh-in tomorrow at the D.G. Hathiramani Hall at the Accra Stadium.
For ticket reservations call +233-24-322-6098 or +233-20-811-5825
- Conquest, Sparrow & Wright post wins at Tuesday Night Fights in Philadelphia
- The Calm after the “Mayhem”
- “My Fingers Was Numb!” Mayweather Survives Alleged Nom, Dances to UD in Maidana Rematch
- Cecilia Brækhus unifies division
- Danny McDermott wins WBU junior welterweight championship in GenSan
- Floyd Mayweather Remains Perfect In Rematch With Marcos Maidana on SHOWTIME PPV
- Mickey Bey defeats Miguel Vazquez
- Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues
- The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton
- Return of the Saint: George Groves ready to make a statement on Saturday night
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue
- Coach Kevin Barry discusses the prospects of his exciting young protégé Joseph Parker
- Gerald Washington, a big man looking to do big things