- Team USA’s Queen Underwood and Danyelle Wolf to Compete in Tuesday’s Women’s Continental Championships Action
- Sampson Boxing Signs Prospect Duo from Houston
- WBC: Mayweather-Pacquiao
- FRANK GALARZA REFLECTS ON PAST WEEKEND’S IMPRESSIVE VICTORY
- Date change and undercard announced – Golden Boy Live! at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino
- Abraham: I’m ready to defend my title on Saturday night
Chavez Jr-Martinez to be shown on on Primetime (Channel 498 on Sky)
LONDON (28 Aug 2012) – The highly anticipated world title clash between middleweight stars Sergio Martinez and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr is to be screened live and exclusive in the UK and Ireland on Primetime (Channel 498 on Sky).
The bout will see two of the world’s very best, in their prime fighters, finally face off against each other at the Thomas & Mack Centre in Las Vegas on Saturday September 15th, in a grudge match that is set to have boxing enthusiasts on the edge of their seats.
Chavez Jr, the undefeated and current World Boxing Council (WBC) middleweight champion, will put his title on the line against a boxer recognized as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world.
Both have been vocal in the build up ahead of the fight, with an exchange of verbal tirades, proving there is no love lost between the pair, with Martinez vowing that a knockout is on the cards.
“I’m totally convinced I can knock him out – I don’t see a different ending to this fight,” said the Argentine. “Chavez will hit the canvas, he will be sitting in his corner, or with the doctor or the referee stopping the fight. There’s no other outcome,” he said.
Despite being the reigning world champion, Chavez Jr has long lived in the shadow of his legendary father, the great Julio Cesar Chavez, who is regarded as the best Mexican fighter in history.
Chavez Jr, however, believes the night of September 15th will be the time when he can finally silence his critics and prove that he is a worthy champion in his own right.
“It’s always the same story, they never give me credit. But I’ve been shutting them down with facts, one-by-one, and this is only another step in my career,” he said. “I do respect Martinez, he’s a great fighter, but he’s just the next one. One day I will be the best fighter in the world,” said Chavez Jr.
The night’s action will also see Irish star, Matthew Macklin, go up against the tough Joachim Alcine of Canada.
Macklin is looking to bounce straight back into world title contention following an 11th round stoppage loss earlier this year by the man who tops the bill, Martinez. But he will have to be at his very best when he takes on Alcine, who is coming off an impressive win against middleweight prospect David Lemieux.
In the build up to the September 15th clash, HBO’s 24/7 preview show will be screened on 5USA on Friday 14th and Saturday 15th September. The whole series will also be shown free-to-air on Primetime during fight night.
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs. Sergio Martinez will be shown live on Primetime, Channel 498 on Sky, on Saturday 15th Sept for only £14.95. To order call 0871 200 4444 or go online at www.primetimelive.co.uk.
- Joey Dawejko scores 2nd consecutive 1st round knockout
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- Wizardry: Palacios overcomes layoff to dominate Mendoza!
- Chuy Gutierrez wins first title Saturday in Las Vegas
- Groves back with a unanimous decision verdict to claim European crown and WBC mandatory position
- Dargan & Mchunu Walk Away With NABF Titles
- Groves defeats Rebrasse, now WBC mandatory for Dirrell
- Canelo Alvarez Signs Major Agreement with HBO Sports
- Canelo back at HBO; next fight likely Joshua Clottey on December 6th
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Mayweather Promotions, Alex Ariza, Manny Pacquiao & More!!!
- Rick Glaser talks Mayweather/Maidana
- Tyson Fury Restrained By Tape, Chisora Vows Ko Win
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- The Return of the Saint