Chavez Jr-Martinez to be shown on on Primetime (Channel 498 on Sky)
LONDON (28 Aug 2012) – The highly anticipated world title clash between middleweight stars Sergio Martinez and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr is to be screened live and exclusive in the UK and Ireland on Primetime (Channel 498 on Sky).
The bout will see two of the world’s very best, in their prime fighters, finally face off against each other at the Thomas & Mack Centre in Las Vegas on Saturday September 15th, in a grudge match that is set to have boxing enthusiasts on the edge of their seats.
Chavez Jr, the undefeated and current World Boxing Council (WBC) middleweight champion, will put his title on the line against a boxer recognized as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world.
Both have been vocal in the build up ahead of the fight, with an exchange of verbal tirades, proving there is no love lost between the pair, with Martinez vowing that a knockout is on the cards.
“I’m totally convinced I can knock him out – I don’t see a different ending to this fight,” said the Argentine. “Chavez will hit the canvas, he will be sitting in his corner, or with the doctor or the referee stopping the fight. There’s no other outcome,” he said.
Despite being the reigning world champion, Chavez Jr has long lived in the shadow of his legendary father, the great Julio Cesar Chavez, who is regarded as the best Mexican fighter in history.
Chavez Jr, however, believes the night of September 15th will be the time when he can finally silence his critics and prove that he is a worthy champion in his own right.
“It’s always the same story, they never give me credit. But I’ve been shutting them down with facts, one-by-one, and this is only another step in my career,” he said. “I do respect Martinez, he’s a great fighter, but he’s just the next one. One day I will be the best fighter in the world,” said Chavez Jr.
The night’s action will also see Irish star, Matthew Macklin, go up against the tough Joachim Alcine of Canada.
Macklin is looking to bounce straight back into world title contention following an 11th round stoppage loss earlier this year by the man who tops the bill, Martinez. But he will have to be at his very best when he takes on Alcine, who is coming off an impressive win against middleweight prospect David Lemieux.
In the build up to the September 15th clash, HBO’s 24/7 preview show will be screened on 5USA on Friday 14th and Saturday 15th September. The whole series will also be shown free-to-air on Primetime during fight night.
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs. Sergio Martinez will be shown live on Primetime, Channel 498 on Sky, on Saturday 15th Sept for only £14.95. To order call 0871 200 4444 or go online at www.primetimelive.co.uk.
- Connecticut Boxing Hall of Fame a knockout success
- Chris Mannix: “I’m Told Mayweather-Khan Is a Done Deal”
- TAYLOR TARGETS ETCHES
- Lucas Browne: “I can’t say I’m surprised that David Price has vacated his titles”
- Wlodarczyk vs. Fragomeni 3: Final Quotes
- Free Live Stream Of WBF World Title Fights This Friday
- “It’s about who can handle the pressure best” – Khan can’t wait for Malignaggi vs Judah
- Broadway Boxing: Melson Beats King, Rosa Handles Wilson Easily
- Australian Boxing: Zac Dunn Stops Marlon Alta in Five
- Jeff Lacy Returns With Third Round Stoppage
- Travis Kauffman dismantles Barnett in the first round
- Nothing Spoiled in Quebec: Stevenson and Kovalev are Victorious
- Adonis Stevenson – Fighter Of The Year for 2013?
- Gaelle Amand And Nikki Adler Victorious In WBF World Title Fights