- ESPN: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alex Leapai on April 26 Bermane Stiverne vs. Chris Arreola May 10
- Countdown to "The Moment: Mayweather vs. Maidana"
- Mayweather Is Protecting The Throne
- Tyson Fury joins British Eurosport's studio for Klitschko/Leapai fight
- Alex Leapai-Wladimir Klitschko preview
- Maidana: "I don't care about titles, all I want to do is beat Mayweather"
- Quigley Comes Home – From Hollywood To Liverpool
- Averlant vs. Sahin: WBF World Championship May 7
- WSB: Cuba lead Russia after first semi-final
- Erislandy Lara to Attend 25th Anniversary Billboard Latin Music Conference
- IMAM vs. UGAS Co-Main Added to May 10 USC Galen Center ESPN Event
- Full Undercard for Golden Boy Live! event in Puerto Rico announced
Dionisio Miranda vs. Don George this Friday, August 17th on ESPN2
Colombian Dionisio Miranda (21-7-2, 18 K0s) will step in to face Chicago’s Don “Da Bomb” George (22-2-1, 19 KOs) in the 10-round super middleweight co-main event of the ESPN Friday Night Fights 2012 series finale (10 PM Eastern on ESPN2, ESPN Deportes and ESPN3) presented by Warriors Boxing and Tony Holden Productions, scheduled for Friday, August 17, at the Buffalo Run Casino in Miami, Oklahoma.
George’s original opponent, Adonis Stevenson, has been forced to pull out of their 12-round elimination bout with a hand injury.
The other 10-round co-main event battle between top junior middleweight contender “King” Carlos Molina (19-5-2, 6 KOs) and Miami’s Damian “Devo” Frias (19-4-1, 10 KOs) will go on as scheduled.
Miranda, a veteran who has notable wins over Lujuan Simon and Sebastian Demers, has been on the short end of competitive big fights with Peter Quillen, Roman Karmazin and Renan St Juste. A big puncher who comes to fight, he could create problems for George.
“Adonis Stevenson injured his left hand in sparring last Friday,” said a disappointed Yvon Michel, President of Groupe Yvon Michel, Stevenson’s promoters. “The next day he went to see a doctor who diagnosed a severe bruise and major swelling. Adonis was not able to close his hand and make a fist. Treatments were done in hopes of improvement but there was not enough progress and under the doctor’s advice it was decided to pull Adonis out of his fight.”
According to Michel, Stevenson is now in Montreal receiving treatment. The International Boxing Federation (IBF) super middleweight title eliminator will be rescheduled for early this fall.
“Team Stevenson and GYM are very disappointed for all the inconvenience this situation has created for ESPN and their programming director, Doug Loughrey, to Warriors Boxing and their president, Leon Margules, and to Tony Holden and the Buffalo Run Casino and Resort. Everyone was so cooperative to make this fight happen. And to all our partners in Canada who were diligently working to program and sell this fight on PPV on short notice, and also to Team George who has carefully prepared for this important encounter. We wish him good luck on Friday.”
Warriors Boxing President, Leon Margules, says he’s disappointed by this turn of events, but is confident the event will still generate action worthy of the finale of the outstanding 2012 season of Friday Night Fights.
“Donovan is obviously disappointed by this, but we all know these things happen in boxing. We wish Adonis Stevenson a speedy recovery. But what we still have in this event is a compelling junior middleweight fight between two top-tier guys with reputations for pulling off upsets and we’ve got Donovan George against a Columbian slugger with a difficult style to figure out. So, as sad as we all are about what happened, we still have a good challenge in front of us this Friday and we’ll be ready.”
Tickets are priced from $35.00 to $65.00 and are available at the Buffalo Run Casino Box Office or online at stubwire.com.
- Bernard Hopkins Historic Return to DC
- Adams and Monroe Jr. win and earn spots in Boxcino Middleweight final
- Clayton Defends WBF World Title In Madani Rematch
- Shawn “Showtime” Porter steals the show in DC!
- Page dominates Spearman for UBF All-Americas Title
- Porter Stops Malignaggi; Quillin Beats Konecny
- Bernard Hopkins Outpoints Beibut Shumenov
- Video: Browne vs Bahoeli this Saturday
- Adrien “The Problem” Broner Holds Media Workout—Photos and More!
- Is this Golden Boy/Showtime Tripleheader entertaining matchmaking or mismatches on premium cable?
- Final Presser Quotes – Thurman, Diaz, Matthysse, Molina, Figueroa & More
- Adrien Broner – Washington D.C quotes
- Omar Figueroa Vs. Jerry Belmontes: Two Fighters With A History
- Carl Froch and George Groves will come face-to-face again on May 1 on Sky Sports