Google+ Button Facebook Button Twitter Button



Ads by Yahoo

BJ Flores drills McNnemar in 2. Wants Marco Huck; Perez narrowly beats McDowell



SPRINGFIELD, MO (October 17, 2012)–On Friday night October 6th, Number-one WBO world rated cruiserweight and NABA, NABO and WBC continental Americas champ BJ Flores (28-1-1, 18 KO’s) scored another knockout victory when he stopped once-beaten David McNemar in front of a packed house at the Shrine Mosque in Springfield Missouri.

Flores has now set his sights on highly regarded WBO champion Marco Huck of Germany

“He is the champion and I am WBO #1 challenger. It’s no secret this is a fight I have wanted for a very long time”, said Flores

Over the last fourteen months, Flores has fought four times and looked very good in those outings. Flores has shown good power by knocking out 3 of his last 4 opponents and scoring multiple knockdowns in those fights. Flores says, “I know I needed to get better and improve. In order to be successful in this game you have to stay active and stay busy. Unfortunately this was something that I wasn’t able to accomplish before but now with the hometown crowd and fan base we can do shows in Springfield and keep me active and busy”.

If you look a bit deeper into Flores last 4 fights there is a little more than meets the eye. Nick Iannuzzi (16-2) who was coming off a VERY close and controversial loss to number-three world rated power puncher Lateef Kayode. Flores hurt Iannuzzi badly and knocked him down in the first round and battered him until the referee stopped the contest in the fifth. Flores dominated journeyman Paul Jeanette (12-3) for ten rounds by scores of 100-90 on all three cards. Next up was Hugo Pineda (39-5) who was coming off an eight round decision loss to undefeated Russian prospect Jimmy Kapanov.

Flores dropped Pineda twice and scored a stoppage victory in the sixth round. Next up was McNemar (13-1). Flores dropped McNemar twice and the referee calling it off at 2:14 of the second round. McNemar was coming off a very close loss to undefeated and world rated Ryan Coyne (18-0). This type of opposition can keep Flores sharp and ready for the big opportunity when it comes.

“After Huck KO’s Firat Arslan I want him next. Huck is very tough and very well-conditioned. He is very strong and very confident. He has a great team around him and I respect him as a fighter. But any time he has fought anyone who can box he has had troubles. Steve Cunningham, Denis Lebedev and Ola Afalobi all gave him fits. I have quietly changed my entire boxing style. I have tried to fly under the radar and go back to the drawing board and get better. I have fought 4 times in the last year and feel sharp and ready. I have 3 KO’s against decent opposition. I WANT a step up! NO ONE will expect me to beat him. It will be an absolute shocker!!

There are some really good champions in this division and I know I will have to be at my best if I want to defeat a good champion in his home country. This will bring out the best in me. Sometimes I will go run 5 miles in the middle of the night just to keep me hungry. I work out at all times of the day and put my body through all kinds of torture to make sure I am ready when my moment arrives. Nothing worth having can be easy. I have taken my bumps and bruises and learned a lot in my professional career. I think about it every day and work tirelessly so that I can be prepared when my moment comes”.

For Highlights of Flores 2nd round TKO over McNemar, click:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtr0O5PbVlcon

Perez narrowly beats McDowell to capture junior lightweight crown at Twin River

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (Oct. 18, 2012) – East Hartford, Conn., native Joseph “Chip” Perez captured the vacant New England Junior Lightweight title Thursday night at Twin River Casino, narrowly defeating Chazz McDowell by majority decision.

McDowell (6-3) came out strong, utilizing his slick jab to frustrate Perez (10-1) in the early rounds, but Perez worked his way to the inside and finished strong in the final three rounds of the eight-round main event to earn a 76-76, 77-75, 78-74 win.

The title bout between Perez and McDowell, which was a battle between two Connecticut natives (McDowell was born in Hartford and raised in Yonkers, N.Y.), highlighted a dynamic, nine-fight card presented by Jimmy Burchfield’s Classic Entertainment & Sports.

The co-main event featured an explosive battle between female bantamweights Shelito Vincent (5-0) and Ivana Coleman (0-2), who faced one another for the second time since July. Vincent, the popular, Providence, R.I., native who’s established a steady fan base in both Rhode Island and her hometown of New London, Conn., dominated the rematch much like she did in the first bout, beating Coleman unanimously, 40-36, on all three scorecards.

Fighting for the first time since switching strength coaches, Vincent looked much stronger and faster than she did in the first bout against Coleman three months ago. She landed early and often and kept Coleman, a native of Slidel, La., from developing any rhythm.

Welterweight Jon Smith (1-0) of Cranston, R.I., a three-time New England Golden Gloves champion as an amateur, looked sharp in his professional debut, beating fellow newcomer Dinis Paiva Jr. (0-1) of East Providence, R.I., by unanimous decision, 40-36, 40-36, 39-37. Junior lightweight Toka Kahn-Clary (2-0) of Providence returned to the Ocean State for the first time since his professional debut only to have his bout against Rochester, N.Y., native Jamell Tyson (3-8-2) cut short due to an accidental head-butt in the second round, resulting in a no contest. Both fighters ended up with matching cuts over their eyes.

“The Vermont Bully” Kevin Cobbs (6-0, 2 KO) of Burlington, Vt., kept his perfect record intact in thrilling fashion, finishing determined veteran Alexander Mancera (8-5-1) of Queens, N.Y., with two minutes remaining in the fourth round. Mancera hung in for three rounds, but ultimately ran out of gas in the fourth. Cobbs, who dominated on the inside throughout the fight, finished Mancera with a short right to the temple.

Former reality television star Rich Gingras (12-3, 8 KOs), formerly of The Contender and now training out of Attleboro, Mass., returned to the ring following a five-month layoff and beat Lexington, Ky., light heavyweight Dennis Ogboo (7-6) via technical knockout in the second round. Gingras drove Ogboo into the ropes with a flurry of punches and then knocked his opponent to the canvas with an overhand left to the temple at the 2:32 mark, prompting Ogboo’s corner to throw in the towel.

Woonsocket, R.I., middleweight Joey Gardner (9-5-1) overcame a slow start and narrowly escaped with a 56-59, 57-56, 58-55 split-decision win over tough veteran Philip Burnette (2-6) of Myrtle Beach, S.C. Gardner earned the win – just his second in his last five fights and first since March – despite getting knocked down in the second round.

The highly-anticipated rematch between Providence super middleweight Alex Amparo (5-0, 3 KOs) and Nick Lavin (2-4) of Shelton, Conn., didn’t last as long as the first fight. After beating Lavin by majority decision a year ago, Amparo finished the job Thursday, stopping Lavin 53 seconds into the fourth round. Amparo dominated from start to finish, knocking Lavin to the canvas 30 seconds into the opening round, and then pummeling his opponent with overhand rights throughout the rest of the fight. Referee Joey Lupino stopped it in the fourth when Amparo unloaded with a flurry of unanswered punches after driving Lavin back into the corner.

Coming off a dominant win in July, middleweight Thomas Falowo (8-1, 6 KOs) of Pawtucket, R.I., picked up right where he left off, stopping Michael Walchuk (9-6, 2 KOs) of Ontario, Canada, :40 into the fifth round. Falowo controlled the pace from the opening bell and eventually ended it in the fifth when he drove Walchuck into the ropes with a flurry of lefts and rights. Falowo has now won two consecutive fights by knockout since his first career loss in May.