- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent
- Klitschko working with 15 sparring partners to get ready for Pulev
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri's talent level
- MIKE TYSON PRESENTS BIG TEXAS THROWDOWN!! September 26, Mesquite TX
- Joe Ward: “I’m thankful that AIBA gave me the opportunity to be involved in APB”
- Shoulder injury forces Nicola Adams out of the 2014 Women’s Boxing World Championships in South Korea
- Undefeated lightweight contender Ivan Redkach Now trained by Robert Garcia
- Masternak joins forces with legendary German coach Wegner
- Trout vs Dawson Weigh-In Photos
Golden Boy Promotions & Fantasy Springs Announce Micky Ward & Dicky Eklund As VIP Guests At Saturday, September 29 Telefutura Televised Boxing Event
September 19, 2012 – INDIO, CA -”Irish” Micky Ward, the beloved retired junior welterweight boxer from Lowell, Massachusetts will greet fans along with his half-brother and former trainer Dicky Eklund at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, Calif. prior to the September 29 edition of TeleFutura’s “Solo Boxeo Tecate.” The event co-features former World Champion Julio “The Kidd” Diaz of Coachella facing Puerto Rico’s Hector Sanchez and Andrew “Chango” Cancio squaring off against veteran contender Roger “Speedy” Gonzalez.
Ward, a blue collar athlete who overcame many obstacles in life and prevailed through determination and hard work, is regarded as a working class hero. He was a fan favorite known for his devastating left hook to the body and his ability to withstand punishment while waiting to land his trademark shot.
Ward and Eklund will be on hand to meet fans, sign autographs and take pictures from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. inside the Fantasy Springs Special Events Center. The meet and greet is open to the public with the purchase of a ticket to the September 29 event.
The brothers were the subject of the 2010 movie “The Fighter” which recounted Ward’s climb to fame. Ward was played by actor Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale, who captured an Oscar for his portrayal, played Eklund.
Eklund is a former three-time golden gloves champion with over 190 victories as an amateur. He faced Sugar Ray Leonard in a professional bout televised by HBO in 1978.
Diaz vs. Sanchez and Cancio vs. Gonzalez are presented by Golden Boy Promotions and sponsored by Cerveza Tecate. Doors open at 6:00 p.m. PT on fight night and the first bell rings at 7:00 p.m. PT. The TeleFutura broadcast begins at midnight ET/11:00 p.m. PT.
Tickets, priced at $25, $35 and $45, are on sale now and available for purchase at the Fantasy Springs Box Office, by calling (800) 827-2946 or online at www.fantasyspringsresort.com.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Goosen gives Deontay Wilder a good chance of beating Stiverne
- Mayweather hopes Khan fight will happen in 2015
- Austin Trout in a make or break fight tonight against Daniel Dawson
- Sam Soliman vs. Jermain Taylor to be televised by ESPN2 on October 8th
- Abner Mares signs with Al Haymon
- Lucian Bute in action on 12/6 at Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada
- Hearn wants to schedule Brook-Khan fight for the summer in 2015