HBO Boxing After Dark: Martirosyan vs Lara this Sat.
Two of the hottest divisions take the spotlight when HBO BOXING AFTER DARK: VANES MARTIROSYAN VS. ERISLANDY LARA AND MIKEY GARCIA VS. JONATHAN BARROS is seen SATURDAY, NOV. 10 at 9:45 p.m. (ET/PT) from the Lafite Ballroom at the Wynn Casino in Las Vegas, exclusively on HBO. The team of Bob Papa, Max Kellerman and Roy Jones Jr. will be ringside for the event, which will be available in HDTV, closed-captioned for the hearing-impaired and presented in Spanish on HBO Latino.
Other HBO playdates: Nov. 11 (10:00 a.m.) and 12 (11:45 p.m.)
HBO2 playdate: Nov. 13 (11:00 p.m.)
Undefeated Vanes Martirosyan (32-0, 20 KOs), from Glendale, Cal., goes up against top contender Erislandy Lara (17-1-1, 11 KOs) of Guantanamo, Cuba, now living in Miami, Fla., in a scheduled 12-round super welterweight title elimination bout. A member of the 2004 U.S. Olympic boxing team, Martirosyan scored impressive wins over future champions Austin Trout, Andre Berto and Timothy Bradley as an amateur before launching his unblemished pro career. He’s trained by Hall of Famer Freddie Roach.
Lara, who captured world amateur titles in 2005 and 2006 before defecting from Cuba in 2008, has just one professional loss – to Paul Williams in a hotly debated decision last year – and is determined to prove he is next in line for the title opportunity.
First up for the night, top contender Mikey Garcia (29-0, 25 KOs) of Oxnard, Cal. takes on former featherweight champ Jonathan Barros (34-3-1, 18 KOs), from Mendoza, Argentina, in a scheduled ten-round bout. The undefeated Garcia comes from a boxing family: He’s trained by his older brother Robert, while his father and uncle, both former fighters, are also trainers. Barros was a featherweight titleholder in 2007 but relinquished it in his first defense, and looks to reestablish himself in the highly competitive 126-pound division.
Follow HBO boxing news at hbo.com/boxing, on Facebook at facebook.com/hboboxing and on Twitter at twitter.com/hboboxing.
All HBO boxing events are presented in HDTV. HBO viewers must have access to the HBO HDTV channel to watch HBO programming in high definition.
The executive producer of HBO BOXING AFTER DARK is Rick Bernstein; producer, Dave Harmon; director, Marc Payton.
® HBO BOXING AFTER DARK is a registered service mark of Home Box Office, Inc.
- Three R&R Promotions fighters collect WBC USA titles over the weekend
- Josesito Lopez quotes
- Manny Pacquiao Is Back On April 12, At The MGM Grand, Las Vegas
- Bob Arum: “We’re Willing To Make Anything Happen”
- De La Hoya, Trinidad and Calzaghe all headed into The Hall of Fame – all three greats fully deserving of the honour
- Boxing Hall Of Fame: Class of 2014 Announced in Canastota!
- Granados Hoping to Fight Smarter on December 6. But Things Do Happen
- Australian Boxing: Zac Dunn Stops Marlon Alta in Five
- Jeff Lacy Returns With Third Round Stoppage
- Travis Kauffman dismantles Barnett in the first round
- Nothing Spoiled in Quebec: Stevenson and Kovalev are Victorious
- Adonis Stevenson – Fighter Of The Year for 2013?
- Gaelle Amand And Nikki Adler Victorious In WBF World Title Fights
- Stevenson obliterates Bellew; Kovalev crushes Sillakh