Holm vs Prazak For WBF World Title
Originally slated to challenge then champion Myriam Lamare for the World Boxing Federation World Light Welterweight title, Pound-For-Pound Number-One Holly Holm is now set to take on Australian Diana Prazak for the vacant championship on December 7 at the Route 66 Casino Hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Holm, 31-2-3 (9), the reigning WBF Women’s World Champion at Welterweight, was moving down in weight to make a true super-fight with Lamare, but the Frenchman pulled out citing a shoulder injury, and Prazak, 11-1 (7), willingly stepped in to secure a stern challenge for Holm with the vacant title on the line.
“Lamare sent us X-rays and medical records of her injured shoulder,” explained promoter Lenny Fresquez. “It’s frustrating because we’ve already spent a lot of money promoting Holm vs. Lamare, but we’re fortunate to have a great fighter like Diana Prazak step-up to fight the best Pound-For-Pound women’s fighter in the world, Holly Holm. Diana deserves a lot of credit for accepting that big challenge and I know she’s coming to pull off an upset of Holly.”
Diana Prazak lost her pro debut in 2010, but has since defeated every opponent put in front of her. In 2011 she captured the Australian National title at Light Welterweight, but later that year she moved down to Super Featherweight to win a world title by stopping tough Canadian Lindsay Garbatt.
Prazak successfully defended her world championship this past April with a shutout unanimous decision over Kenyan Fatuma Zarika, and, now trained by the great Lucia Rijker in new hometown Los Angeles, she feels ready to return to Light Welterweight against arguably the best female boxer on the planet:
“I’m a determined fighter. I have fought at 130-135-pounds; however, I walk around at 145. I will feel much stronger at 140 because I don’t have to starve myself. I’m lucky to have the opportunity to work with some great champions, not to mention the rounds I get in with my trainer, Lucia Rijker”, said Prazak.
“If I can get punched by the most dangerous women in the world, I most definitely do not have any concerns about being hit by girls in other weight classes.”
And Prazak is not fazed by the thought of fighting in the backyard of “The Preachers Daughter”, where sold-out crowds of around three-thousand are a regular occurrence, saying:
“I think it’s great that she has such great hometown support. Three-thousand people are great. My dream is for myself and for other women fighters to fight for crowds of 30,000. The bigger the challenge, the bigger the victory, is my mantra.”
“Fire & Ice”, Holly Holm vs. Diana Prazak for the vacant World Boxing Federation Women’s World Light Welterweight title at the Route 66 Casino Hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico on Saturday December 7, will be promoted by Fresquez Productions.
- Clarke Back In Action
- Beard Backs Malinga To Beat Hall For World Crown
- ‘Rocky’ Returns After Two Years Out At Wigan
- Michael Jennings: “Matty can’t think past his next fight”
- Price’s ring-return delayed by virus
- Lionell Thompson plans to destroy Ryan Coyne Saturday in Atlantic City
- Local Stars Triumph In WBF Title Fights
- Thrill-a-minute slugger James Kirkland is BACK!
- Dazzling Darren Barker fails to weather the Sturm; Post Fight Video Interviews
- Sakio Bika Draws With Anthony Dirrell: Retains WBC 168 lb Strap
- Malignaggi defeats Judah, wants Broner-Maidana winner
- Rigondeaux dominates Agbeko; Macklin defeats Russ; Kirkland stops Tapia
- Malignaggi decisions Judah; Porter defeats Alexander; Lara beats Trout
- Italy 4-1 Germany: Team Deutschland crushed