- Mayweather Vs. Maidana: Preview And Prediction
- The Pound-for-Pound Top 10
- Manny Pacquiao: good enough to compete, but should now retire
- Maidana doesn't have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Beibut Shumenov: Preview And Prediction
- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather's Power
- Browne v Bahoeli to be broadcast to Australia and across Asia
- Brandon Adams looks to stay undefeated with win over Gatica
- Frazer Clarke looking to make history in next week’s England Boxing National Finals
- McDonnell lands dream World title fight at Wembley
- Thompson Boxing Promotions Presents “Loaded” card featuring Efrain Esquivias, Giovani Santillan, & Jose Roman
- “The Fight Game With Jim Lampley” Debuts Saturday, April 19 on HBO
If Trout Is Out, Who’s In?
By Eric Roman Sr. – A lot of talk has been made about the possible showdown between Canelo Alvarez and Miguel Cotto, even though the wily veteran lost a unanimous decision to Austin Trout this past weekend. As we all know, Cotto has had an incredible career, a sure fire Hall of Famer, and one of the greatest Puerto Rican fighters of all time, but at this point, much like “Sugar” Shane Mosely back in May, do we really need to see an all time great get battered by this young ferocious lion? Before the Trout fight, I was all for it, I thought it was a no-brainer. Two similar styles, both being boxer-punchers, the “old” versus the “new”, Puerto Rico vs. Mexico, can it get any better? Well, the problem with all that is the fact that Austin Trout made it all go away. He showed us that Miguel Cotto may be a little more past his prime then we thought, let’s face it, he left it all in the ring against Floyd Mayweather back in May, and those type of fights, along with both Margarito brawls, the Pacquiao bout, and a number of others when he was at 140lbs. have taken a lot out of him.
Enter Austin “No Doubt” Trout, a young, undefeated title holder, who has an excellent amateur pedigree, who just beat the aforementioned Puerto Rican Star, has been calling out Saul Alvarez since “The Classy” Jimmy Lennon Jr. spoke the following words into the microphone on Saturday night; And Still! Why wouldn’t this fight be made?
Now Canelo has to stop the new and improved battle-scarred ex-champion as he makes his prominent return to the squared circle… Stop right there! We’re not stupid, stop protecting your fighter from a hungry kid who’s earned the right to get to this position in life. Austin Trout is a proven winner, whether you like his style or not, so aren’t we supposed to reward him? The sport of Boxing has never been one to show us a great set of Morals, but here’s a chance to do whats right. Give the fans a night they desire. Two unbeaten guys with everything on the line, it’s a win/win!
In my opinion, it won’t happen. Canelo is being protected by one too many Golden Boy cronies. I’m sure he’d take the fight if it was presented to him, the kid is great, but signs point to no. So let’s say, they look elsewhere, let’s say the great Cotto retires. Who’s next? For both men. Could it be another 140 pounder moving up for Alvarez? What about Trout? The 154lb division is filled with young talent for him to showcase his ability. A title unification bout against Cornelius K9 Bundrage would make sense, Vanes Martirosyan will be sidelined with an injury for a bit so maybe the names Carlos Molina or James Kirkland make a good fit. If he really wants to show us what he can do, he’ll get in there with a Cuban lefty named Erislandy Lara, can he compete against another left-handed world class opponent. Who knows, maybe he could give a young prospect on the come up a shot, like Cuban-American lefty Joey “Twinkle Fingers” Hernandez, a fight like this, if he can manage to win, would be a great way to display his style against a fighter like Lara. Either way, it’s Alvarez decision to make, he can also face any of the opposition mentioned above, as they all would give Alvarez a run for his money, even Hernandez, who I got to see as an Amateur, and I know at top form can give anybody a problem. But that’s not what we want, is it? At least not yet, so wake up Golden-Boy, we’re not stupid. Make Alvarez-Trout happen.
Follow me on Twitter @ERomanSr
- July Draws with Graves; Vows for better showing in next bout
- Jordan Shimmell wins by TKO on the Golden Boy show in Chicago
- Pacquiao is back as he beats Bradley
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Pacquiao vs Bradley, Canelo vs Lara, and Bob Arum!!
- Video: Manuel Charr outworks Kevin Johnson over ten
- ‘The Master’ Masternak dominates in Denmark
- Andy Lee Wins Denmark Encounter
- Hopkins – Shumenov weigh-in livestream at 1pm ET
- Bernard Hopkins warns Shumenov ‘to get ready for school’
- Video: Crolla vs. Murray weigh-in
- Video: Quigg vs Munyai Weigh-In
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn “Showtime” Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- Showtime Tripleheader gives BHOP a chance to add more legend to his longevity
- ShoBox: The New Generation Final Weights & Quotes For Friday’s Iron Mike Productions Tripleheader