- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Is Canelo capable of taking the baton from Mayweather to become boxing’s next PPV star?
- Maidana throwing 100 punches per round in training for Mayweather
- Maidana, Santa Cruz & Angulo quotes ahead of "Mayhem: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2"
- Golovkin with chance to become Cotto’s WBC mandatory if he beats Rubio
- Kell Brook’s trainer doesn’t want him to take an easy fight on December 6th
- FIGHT FANS READY FOR AUGUST 22 ESPN FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS FROM PECHANGA RESORT & CASINO
- Abraham-Smith: kick-off press conference – quotes
- Kiwitt Back On Home Soil
- Frankie De Alba Headlines on Saturday, October 4 at Valley Forge Casino & Resort
- Undefeated Mexican Future Stars In WBF Title Fights
- STALKER TO FACE JENKINS IN BRITISH TITLE ELIMINATOR ON MAGNIFICENT SEVEN CARD
Independence Day Boxing show to thrill Nigerians Monday
By Prince Dornu-Leiku: The Blue Roof of Lagos TV in the Nigerian economic capital takes centre stage when a boxing bonanza with two national titles at stake comes alive on Monday October 1. There will also be music and comedy featuring some of Nigeria’s top comedians to spice up the occasion.
Nigerian Light Welterweight champion Sunday Ajayi (12-6-1, 5 KOs) makes a defence of his title against unbeaten Sadiq Ahmed (4-0, 2 KOs) whilst young Waidi Usman (2-0, 2 KOs) battles Dare Oywola (2-2, 2KOs) for the vacant Nigeria Featherweight championship in the main events.
Under the auspices of the Nigerian Boxing Board of Control (NBBofC) and promoted by Freels and Threels Entertainment headed by Remi Aboderin who is also Secretary General of NBBofC, a total of seven bouts are lined up to whet Nigerian boxing fans’ appetite and excitement on this most important of days in the country’s history and also push up the quest to bring out the best in professional boxing in the big West African nation.
“Last year we did a world title, now we are promoting a 2 bout title fight and a 5 bout contest match in total 7 bouts. Next year between February to June 2013 we will be promoting a WBC Silver belt title and a WBC International. I am also thinking about contacting the WBO for titles too. Freels and Threels Entertainment will bring out the best of professional boxing and bring boxers from Kenya, Ghana, and South Africa,” wrote Freels and Threels Director for Sports Onyeka Eboma Elum on his Facebook page.
Other supporting bouts are a 6-round Super Middleweight contest between Jude Ilo and Bassy Epenyoung, an 8-round Light Welterweight championship featuring Saheed Olayiwola versus Ahmed Yusuf and Alani Suleman against Isiaka Akinsola in a Middleweight contest, also over 8 rounds.
Completing the line up for Monday Night in Lagos are a 6-round Cruiserweight fight featuring Ademola Faniyi against Rafiu Olanipekun as well as Abolore Olamide versus Thomson Chukwuemeka at Lightweight over 6 rounds.
Tickets for entry are priced at N500 (Five hundred Naira) for regular and N1000 (One thousand Naira) for VIP.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Ricky Burns looking for 3rd division world title at 140 in 2015
- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri’s talent level
- Brandon Rios vs. Ruslan Provodnikov in the works for November
- Alfredo Angulo not worried about September 13th fight against De La Rosa
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent