International Boxing Hall of Fame honors Emanuel Steward
CANASTOTA, NY – OCTOBER 25, 2012 – The International Boxing Hall of Fame announced its flags will fly at half-staff in memory of legendary trainer Emanuel Steward. He passed away today at a Chicago hospital. He was 68.
1996 Hall of Fame Inductee Emanuel Steward
Steward was born July 7, 1944 in West Virginia. He moved to Detroit as a child and began boxing there as an amateur, compiling a 94-3 record and winning the 1963 National Golden Gloves title. He then became a coach at the Kronk Gym and, in 1971, seven of his fighters won Golden Gloves championships. Next he began working with professional fighters and developed world champions such as Thomas “Hitman” Hearns, Hilmer Kenty, Dennnis Andries, Mike McCallum, Jimmy Paul, Duane Thomas and Michael Moorer. He also trained such superstars as Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield, Naseem Hamed, Oscar De La Hoya, Wladimir Klitschko and Miguel Cotto. Steward served as expert commentator for HBO’s World Championship Boxing.
“Without a doubt, Emanuel Steward was one of the most accomplished and respected trainers in the history of boxing. He was a great ambassador for the sport, always promoting boxing wherever he traveled,” said Hall of Fame Executive Director Edward Brophy. “The Hall of Fame joins the worldwide boxing world in mourning the passing of a legend.”
In 1996, Steward was elected into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.
- WEIGHTS FROM TWIN RIVER
- Paulie Malignaggi vs. Zab Judah final press conference quotes
- Gunn and Johnson confirm “Celtic Warrior vs Road Warrior”!
- When enough is not enough
- Stevens – Majewski, Mchunu – Wilson Begin NBCSN Fight 2014 With a Bang
- Diaz vs. Ellison headlining 50 Cent’s Big Apple Boxing show Dec. 20
- Undefeated David Rodriguez ready for redemption at resorts AC
- Broadway Boxing: Melson Beats King, Rosa Handles Wilson Easily
- Australian Boxing: Zac Dunn Stops Marlon Alta in Five
- Jeff Lacy Returns With Third Round Stoppage
- Travis Kauffman dismantles Barnett in the first round
- Nothing Spoiled in Quebec: Stevenson and Kovalev are Victorious
- Adonis Stevenson – Fighter Of The Year for 2013?
- Gaelle Amand And Nikki Adler Victorious In WBF World Title Fights