Jennings vs. Tupou final press conference quotes
PHILADELPHIA – The four principal fighters of Saturday night’s nationally televised NBC Sports Network Fight Night boxing event at Temple University’s Pearson / McGonigle Hall all shared the stage at the final press conference Thursday at the Draught Horse Pub on Temple University’s campus. Heavyweights Bryant Jennings, 15-0, 7 KOs, and Bowie Tupou, 22-2, 16 KOs, and junior lightweights Eric Hunter, 16-2, 9 KOs and Jerry Belmontes, 17-0, 5 KOs met for the first time, and finally got the chance to size each other up. This is what they had to say.
The NBC Sports Network telecast will begin at 10PM EST on Saturday, December 8th. Fight fans will be able to catch a re-air of the show after the Pacquaio – Marquez fight, beginning 1AM Eastern, 10PM Pacific.
“I feel the excitement building. I’m getting edgy. It’s like it’s closing in. This is it. There’s no turning back. It’s about to happen. But the closer I get to the fight, I get more and more focused. The anticipation is just wild. I just can’t wait to step in the ring.”
“I feel good, but it’s cold here! Too cold! I’m just grateful for Vai, Stanley and the Eagles for taking me and showing me the (Art Museum) stairs and the Rocky Statue and everything. It’s great to meet my opponent (Jennings) and see him and get to know him. It’s something that you have to do in boxing. But come Saturday, we’ll see what happens.”
“I get nervous before the fight, but this ain’t nothing new. He can fight, I can fight. Skills vs. skills. That’s what’s going to win. (We’ll match) skill for skill. That’s what wins the fight. Skills win the fight. I don’t see no size difference. All that weight stuff, that don’t win fights. Skill wins fights. And I got the skills.”
“I’m feeling good. I’m just ready to fight. Whatever Eric Hunter brings to the table, I’ll be ready. A couple days before the fight, we’re still concentrating on the game plan, and I’m just excited to get into the ring. When I size him up, I see that I’m the naturally bigger guy. It’s a great feeling to see everything about him. This may be his backyard, but I have a feeling I am going to make some fans here.Eric Hunter is a cocky guy, so I’m out to put him in his place.”
- Michael Jennings: “Matty can’t think past his next fight”
- Price’s ring-return delayed by virus
- Lionell Thompson plans to destroy Ryan Coyne Saturday in Atlantic City
- Local Stars Triumph In WBF Title Fights
- “Malignaggi, Rigondeaux, Sturm, Lara, Porter, and Kirkland” edition of “The Pugilist KOrner’s: Weekend Wrap”
- Robert Stieglitz vs Arthur Abraham III Official: March 1st in Magdeburg
- Video: All Access: Broner vs. Maidana – Full Episode
- Thrill-a-minute slugger James Kirkland is BACK!
- Dazzling Darren Barker fails to weather the Sturm; Post Fight Video Interviews
- Sakio Bika Draws With Anthony Dirrell: Retains WBC 168 lb Strap
- Malignaggi defeats Judah, wants Broner-Maidana winner
- Rigondeaux dominates Agbeko; Macklin defeats Russ; Kirkland stops Tapia
- Malignaggi decisions Judah; Porter defeats Alexander; Lara beats Trout
- Italy 4-1 Germany: Team Deutschland crushed