- Harley Davidson San Diego to hold Thompson Boxing Promotions “Path to Glory SD Style” Aug. 16
- Sergio “Yeyo” Thompson has the opportunity to put himself back in line for a world title shot on Saturday
- Willie Nelson headlines ESPN FNF next Friday
- Brooklyn Brawl returns on Thursday, September 18 to the Millennium Theater
- Olympians and Champions populate APB’s 60kg Lightweight Category
- Amnat Ruenroeng vs McWilliams Arroyo date change; now on for Sept 10
Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez returns to the ring on February 2
GUAYNABO, PUERTO RICO- Former two time world champion Juan Manuel “Juanma” Lopez will return to the ring on February 2, 2013, headlining a DIRECTV “Pay Per View” show to be held at the coliseo Ruben Rodriguez in Bayamon, Puerto Rico, in a PR Best Boxing Promotions (PRBBP) presentation.
Lopez will share the show with world contenders Jose “Chelo” Gonzalez, McWilliams Arroyo, McJoe Arroyo and Jonathan “Bomba” Gonzalez who will fight for regional titles as part of the TV bouts.
“We are going to present a great return for Juanma Lopez, who is going to show he is ready to fight and become word champion again”, Ivan Rivera, PRBBP President said. “But we have four world ranked fighters Chelo Gonzalez, McWilliams Arroyo, McJoe Arroyo and Bomba Gonzalez, in action fighting for regional titles and their important steps for world title chances”.
For Juanma Lopez (31-2, 28 KOs) this is his first fight since March, 2012, when he lost by TKO against Orlando Salido, being suspended for one year for a bad comment against the referee Roberto Ramirez Sr. But the Sports Secretary in Puerto Rico, Henry Neumann, pardoned Lopez and he will fight this February, 2, in Bayamon, in a bout scheduled to 10 rounds in 128 pounds.
“I’m training since August and I feel in good shape for my comeback. I will fight in other division, but the featherweights should know that I’m not out of that division. I’m going to fight in the junior lightweights in my return bout and I’m going to see what happen”, Lopez said. “This will be a good show with my fight and the prospects and contenders Chelo Gonzalez, McWilliams and McJoe Arroyo, and Bomba Gonzalez, this will be great”.
Chelo Gonzalez (21-0, 16 KOs), the #1 WBO ranked in the lightweights, will defend for the fourth time his 135 pounds Latino WBO title against a foe to be named in a fight scheduled to 12 rounds. Gonzalez won his three 2012 fights by TKO over Hevinson Herrera, Joseph Layrea and Oscar Cuero.
Meanwhile, McWilliams Arroyo (13-1, 11 KOs), a former 2008 Olympian and 2009 Amateur World Champion, will defend for the second time his WBO Latino flyweight belt versus a rival to be determined. McWilliams, who is ranked #6 by the WBO in the 112 pounds division, won his four 2012 fights, two of them against veterans Luis “Titi” Maldonado and Ronald Ramos.
His twin brother McJoe Arroyo (11-0, 6 KOs), who is the #9 WBO ranked in the superflyweights, will fight also for the WBO Latino superflyweight against a foe to be named. McJoe, a former 2008 Olympian and 2007 Amateur World Championships bronze medalist, come from his most important win when on September 27, 2012, beat former world champion Jose “Carita” Lopez by a fourth round TKO.
Also, unbeaten prospect Bomba Gonzalez (11-0, 10 KOs), the 2008 Amateur World Youth Championships gold medalist, will defend his WBO Youth flyweight against a rival to be announced. Gonzalez won his four fights in 20012.
More information soon.
Tickets for this show are availables at Ticketcenter (www.tcpr.com) calling 1 787 792-5000. Prices are $20, $40, $60, $100, $125 Ring Side and $250 Red Carpet.
- Damien Hooper beats Casey
- German commission (BDB) changes result: Hammer vs. Mathis a “no contest”
- Carlos Carlson Retains WBC Latino Bantamweight Title at “Locked n Loaded” Ontario, CA
- Dusty Hernandez-Harrison Dominates At Madison Square Garden
- GGG – a modest definition of danger?
- Gennady Golovkin – The Real Deal Destroys Daniel “The Real Deal” Geale
- Bryant Jennings Gets Title Shot With Victory; Geale Loses in Spirited Effort
- Wladimir Klitschko and Kubrat Pulev sell out the O2 Arena in Hamburg, Germany
- Austin Trout: “I’m ready to get back to the top.”
- Live Stream: Kovalev vs. Caparello Final Press Conference
- Flaws of Boxing
- Video: Bundu vs Gavin, Browne vs Rudenko Weigh-In
- Hatton says Browne could fight Tyson Fury…
- Danny Garcia media workout quotes