- Bermane Stiverne Interview: The WBC Heavyweight Champion Speaks Out
- Ashley Theophane talks Floyd Mayweather and Mayhem
- Back at home Chris Algieri's whirlwind continues
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int'l Intrigue
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- The Current 20 Most Exciting Boxers – A Statistical Analysis
Malta: Alexander Zammit Removed; Steve Collins handed presidential boxing role
Over the past week there have been several statements issued by both parties, following a statement issued by Malta Boxing Commission Limited’s Director and Vice President Gianluca Di Caro regarding the relieving of Alex Zammit of his position as President of the Malta Boxing Commission last Friday, for his disregarding of due diligence undertaken for two license applications, as well as the holding of a special general meeting, at which appointments to the commission were made as well as licenses issued, without informing various members of the board, including Mr Di Caro.
Throughout the past week Mr Zammit issued various statements, on the Malta Boxing News website that he owns, as well as distributing them wider to the boxing press, stating that it was Mr Di Caro that was being relieved of his duties as Vice President.
Earlier today Mr Zammit published an e.mail sent to Mr Di Caro last week, in which various accusations are leveled at Mr Di Caro, as such Mr Di Caro has made the following statement.
“As I had said previously I find it highly disappointing that Mr Zammit is continuing to both deny the fact of his legal removal from his honorary position as the President of the Malta Boxing Commission, as well as his attempts to discredit my name and position as Director, with an absurd collection of misleading and false statements.
Since then Mr Zammit has taken it on himself to make two further statements, listing further alleged failings and misdeeds by myself.
I had said in my previous statement that I feel that all that needs to be said has been said, as this matter is purely about Mr Zammit’s removal form his position as President of the MBC for his dereliction of duty by disregarding the due diligence I had undertaken on two license
applications as well as calling the special general meeting, where he made various appointments to key positions within the MBC, as well as license issued, without informing myself and another senior MBC official.
However I feel that I have no option but to respond to certain matters Mr Zammit raised in these statements.
Firstly Malta Boxing Commission Ltd, Mr Zammit published an invoice showing that it was myself that had paid for the company registration. I cannot deny this as I had indeed paid for this, in fact that’s not all I paid for, as it was myself that personally financed the setting up of the Malta Boxing Commission and it has been myself financing it ever since, as until very recently Mr Zammit was unemployed.
The limited company was registered this year, at Mr Zammit’s request and with my reserved agreement, to provide stability for the Malta Boxing´Commission following Mr Zammit receiving several threats of legal action, as well as the possible fall out from the previously mentioned Police investigation.
The company was formed and a bank account arranged, up to this point all payments for everything from office supplies to the MBC Championship Belts, were made from my personal account, as for reasons unbeknown to myself Mr Zammit was unable to arrange a bank account for the MBC.
On the other matters, throughout the existence of the Malta Boxing Commission I have worked tirelessly to bring boxing events to the Islands, however each time negotiations either broke down, or worse still after
sanctioning had been granted the event still failed to go ahead, following Mr Zammit’s meddling in the promoter’s affairs.
Mr Zammit mentions the World Boxing Federation convention, which was due to be held in Malta earlier this year, again this failed to materialise due to Mr Zammit’s incessant meddling.
Fortunately for myself I have copies of all correspondence between myself and Mr Zammit during his tenure, as well as from the promoters who had tried in vane to hold MBC sanctioned events. I also have all copies of the correspondence with the WBF regarding the convention, and it’s ultimate failure to take place.
I feel saddened that I have had to respond publicly on these matters, as I feel these claims by Mr Zammit are nothing but an attempt to discredit my name, as well as cloud the true issue at hand which was his total disregard of the due diligence I had undertaken as well as the calling of a meeting to make appointments, to senior positions within the MBC – as well as issue licenses – without informing myself and other senior MBC officials, which lead to him being relieved of his position.”
Steve Collins handed presidential boxing role
World Champion Steve Collins Appointed President Of The Malta Boxing Commission The Malta Boxing Commission today announced that World Champion Steve ‘Celtic Warrior’ Collins has been appointed as their new President.
Mr Collins takes over the role from Interim President Gianluca Di Caro, who temporarily took the reigns of the Malta Boxing Commission in October, following the removal of former President Alexander Zammit for gross misconduct and negligence.
Following his appointment Mr Collins said, “I am honoured to be the new President of the Malta Boxing Commission. I have always believed that there is potential for Maltese based fighters, national Maltese fighters, who have not had the opportunity to break into the professional ranks. The Malta Boxing Commission isn’t big, but it is an organisation that is determined to do it’s best for the young upcoming fighters on the islands. It’s a professional board of control that’s accepted by boxing sanctioning organisations world wide, which is very important to us, we’re glad about this as this recognition enables us to hold professional boxing events in Malta.
“On a more personal note, besides my involvement with boxing on the Islands, I have family connections here, my brother is involved with one of the professional football teams in Malta, so I am looking forward to spending even more time here in the future.”
Outgoing Interim President Mr Di Caro, who is a founding partner of the Malta Boxing Commission, then spoke briefly on the appointment of the new President. “We, the entire board of the Malta Boxing Commission, are proud to announce that our new President is Mr Steve Collins. Throughout his career Steve has been an exemplary ambassador for the sport, as well as possessing a superlative boxing pedigree. As an amateur he won 26 Irish titles, as a pro he achieved the pinnacle of the sport, World Champion, not just the once but at two weights – Middleweight and Super Middleweight – as well as won both Irish and American National Championship honours.
“Since retiring from the ring in 1997, Steve has remained very much “hands on” within the sport, not just in Malta but also the UK and of course his homeland of Ireland. As such we, the board of the Malta Boxing Commission, are particularly pleased to welcome Steve to the organisation, as we believe that under his leadership we will finally achieve our aim of developing a professional boxing culture within the Republic of Malta.”
In addition the Malta Boxing Commission have strengthened the board further by appointing former Malta Boxing Federation CEO Mr Carmelu Cardona to the role of Vice Chairman and Dr Matthew Brincat, Chairman of the Marsa Race Course, to the role of Head of Legal, as well as ratified all long standing board members roles.
In addition the board members agreed to the amending of the Malta Boxing Commission statutes, in order to prevent any single board member assuming an autocratic and self benefiting role, as with former President Mr Alexander Zammit during his tenure, to ensure that all decisions are made in a truly democratic manner by the appropriate committee, for the benefit of the MBC members and the sport of boxing.
- Fight To Educate Boxing Results
- Conquest, Sparrow & Wright post wins at Tuesday Night Fights in Philadelphia
- The Calm after the “Mayhem”
- “My Fingers Was Numb!” Mayweather Survives Alleged Nom, Dances to UD in Maidana Rematch
- Cecilia Brækhus unifies division
- Danny McDermott wins WBU junior welterweight championship in GenSan
- Floyd Mayweather Remains Perfect In Rematch With Marcos Maidana on SHOWTIME PPV
- Video: George Groves – Christopher Rebrasse Weigh-In
- Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues
- The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue
- Coach Kevin Barry discusses the prospects of his exciting young protégé Joseph Parker
- Gerald Washington, a big man looking to do big things