- "Toe to Toe": Alfredo "El Perro" Angulo vs Saul "Canelo" Alvarez - Keys to Victory, Four to Explore, & Official Prediction
- Deontay Wilder vs. Malik Scott: The road to the heavyweight title
- Weights: Canelo 155, Angulo 154.5
- MGM Grand in Las Vegas selected as official site for Mayweather vs. Maidana mega-fight Saturday, May 3 live on Showtime PPV®
- Stiverne vs. Arreola: Finally a change in the heavyweight scene!
- FULL UNDERCARD ANNOUNCED FOR "TOE TO TOE: CANELO VS. ANGULO"
- Cuba vs. USA in WSB quarter-finals
- Veteran Konecny vows: Against Quillin, I’ll make my American miracle come true!
- Four American Boxers Advance to the Final Round at the 2014 Youth Continental Championships
- Brandon Cook vs Phil Rose on May 3rd
- Mundine in beast mode for Clottey
- Team USA Opens the 2014 Youth Continental Championships With Three Victories in Ecuador
News: Montes vs Ibarra; Holly Holm; Buddy McGirt
On Saturday September 22 in Celaya, Mexico, Promociones Del Pueblo and HG Boxing will present a rematch of one of the best WBF title fights in recent years, as Juan Jose “Goofy” Montes and Oscar “Ceviche” Ibarra clash for the vacant World Boxing Federation World Super Flyweight title.
On the same show WBF Women’s World Flyweight Champion Irma Sanchez will make the fourth defense of her title when she takes on tough American former world champion Carina Moreno in the co-feature.
Montes beat Ibarra on points this past February in what was a complete war between two hungry boxers who were both willing to go through fire to become world champion. Unfortunately Montes was too hungry when celebrating the victory, and was stripped of the title when he failed to make weight before a defense against Victor Zaleta in June.
The fight against Zaleta went ahead and ended in a draw, and Juan Jose Montes, 22-2-1 (14), will now get a chance to become a two-time world champion at only 23 years of age. Ibarra, 27-7 (18), having won several regional titles, will be looking to even the score and pick up his first world championship in the process.
Irma “La Guerita” Sanchez, 24-5-1 (7), is without a doubt one of the most active world champions in the sport. She won the WBF World title in July 2011, and already she is making her fourth defense and her third just this year. In August she put on a boxing display to outscore Sharon Gaines, and now she will be facing another hard-nosed American in Moreno.
Carina Moreno, 22-4 (6), made her professional debut in 2003, and won her first world title less than four years later. She has since captured three additional world championships, at Strawweight and Light Flyweight, making her without comparison the most accomplished challenger Sanchez has fought. Now she will attempt to further build on her resume by becoming world champion in a third weight class.
It is hard to imagine that the Montes – Ibarra rematch will be anything but another excellent fight, and Sanchez vs. Moreno looks very promising on paper. The WBF World championship double-header at the Auditorio Municipal De Celaya is titled “Cuentas Pendientes”, and will be televised live in Mexico by Televisa.
Holly ‘The Preacher’s Daughter’ Holm The True Queen of Boxing
ALBUQUERQUE, NM (September 18, 2012) – The true Queen of Boxing is 12-time, three division world champion Holly “The Preacher’s Daughter” Holm (31-2-3, 9 KOs), who this past June 15th avenged her loss last December 2nd to French knockout artist Ann Sophie Mathis (26-2, 22 KOs) at Route 66 Casino Hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Fan-favorite Holm captured the IBA, WBF and WBAN title belts, as well as the mythical women’s pound-for-pound crown, with her 10-round decision over Mathis, whose 26-fight win streak, dating back to 1995, was snapped.
“Holly overshadows the September 25 fight between (Cecilia) Braekhus and Mathis (in Denmark) because she’s the best woman fighter in the world,” Holm’s promoter Lenny Fresquez said. “She proved it by beating Mathis. They’re fighting for all but one belt that Holly relinquished. You have to beat the best in order to be the best and Holly has done that many, many times. Holly defeated Mathis to regain her pound-for-pound supremacy in women’s boxing. The winner of Braekhus-Mathis may be the Princess, or Duchess of Boxing, but Holly Holm is the true Queen of Boxing. Braekhus and Mathis are fighting to determine the second-best woman boxer in the world today.
“Holly is one of the few female boxers ever to regularly sell-out fights, 3000 fans every show she headlines, something few men boxers do today. Despite being the second-best woman boxer in the world, Mathis was virtually unknown in women’s boxing, outside of France, when she first fought Holly. She gained more media exposure fighting Holly than she had during her entire boxing career. Mathis was the best pound-for-pound women’s boxer in the world for 7-½ months, until Holly beat her in their rematch, earning Holly the coveted No. 1 pound-for-pound title again. We will announce Holly’s next fight on September 25, proving once again that she ducks no legitimate world title challenger.”
During the course of her incredible 10-½ year professional career, Holm is 14-1-1 against other world champions, from the 140 through 154-pound weight classes, including Mathis, Christy Martin, Mary Jo Sanders, Mia St. John, Jane Couch, Chevelle Hallback (twice), Duda Yankovich, Terry Blair (twice), Anne Succurato (twice), Belinda Laracuente and Jaime Clampitt.
Go online to www.FresquezProductions.com.
BUDDY MCGIRT TO APPEAR ON BEYOND RINGSIDE RADIO SHOW
This Sunday, Sept. 23, at 8 p.m. EST/7 CST, former world champion and renowned boxing trainer Buddy McGirt will be appearing on Beyond Ringside Radio. The Beyond Ringside Radio Show is wrestling, boxing and MMA fans number one source for all of the latest news and interviews that pertain to fighting sports.
Beyond Ringside airs live every Saturday at 11 a.m. EST/10 CST and Sunday at 7:30 p.m. EST/6:30 CST.
McGirt will be discussing the recent victory of his fighter Matthew Macklin as well as his involvement with Find A Dream—a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization that reaches out to community children and provides them a healthy channel to find and work towards fulfilling a dream.
Last week McGirt came aboard Find A Dream and joined the nonprofit organization’s all-star cast, including Olympic Gold Medalist and former world champion Ray Mercer, 3-time world champion Bobby Czyz, 4-time world champion Michael Moorer, Don Steele, Hector Camacho Jr., and more.
In 2002 McGirt won the Boxing Writers’ Association of America Trainer of the Year Award.
“I am happy to be part of Find A Dream and help them spread awareness and bring their mission into fruition,” said McGirt. “Boxing can help a lot of people, both boys and girls. It instills inside of them confidence and self-esteem that they can carry over into all aspects of their lives. Even if they don’t pursue becoming a fighter, it can help them with anything in life because of all of the hard work and dedication that they put into it; it gives them a strong sense of self-motivation.”
Join Fast Eddie Layne and Buddy McGirt Sept. 23 by tuning into www.beyondringside.com.
For more information about Beyond Ringside or to listen to archive shows or check the upcoming calendar, visit www.beyondringside.com.
- Canelo vs. Angulo early results
- Rustam Nugaev and Roman Morales Victorious on ESPN Friday Night Fights
- Disappointment For Marston, Prince Reigns Supreme, Sensational Ozgul Bros roll on
- Hardy & Paddock Claim Titles in Bumper Night of Boxing Action
- Acourtier ‘Warzone’ Event Review
- Thompson Boxing Promotions “New Blood” Results: Carlson Wins WBC Latino 118 lb. Title
- DeGale defeats Khatchikian in a surprisingly competitive fight
- Floyd “Money” Mayweather Opening Press Conference Quotes & Photo From Mgm Grand In Las Vegas
- “Toe to Toe: Canelo vs. Angulo” edition of “The Pugilist KOrner”
- Canelo vs. Angulo early results
- TODAY! Pacquiao Arrives in Los Angeles
- Mike Reed’s Stock Rises in Decision Win over Mahasin
- 14,700 tickets sold for Mayweather-Maidana fight today, says Schaefer
- “Toe to Toe”: Alfredo “El Perro” Angulo vs Saul “Canelo” Alvarez – Keys to Victory, Four to Explore, & Official Prediction