- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Canelo vs Angulo, Santa Cruz, Rigondeaux, and Tony Weeks!
- Froch-Groves meet at Wembley press conference ahead of rematch - 60,000 tickets gone in an hour!
- Canelo vs. Angulo: We Didn't Learn Anything New
- Will Miguel Cotto vs. Sergio Martinez Decide Canelo's Next Rival?
- Carl Froch: The Reluctant Warrior
- Hunter: Angulo was coming on strong against Canelo at time of stoppage
- ESPN Thursday Night Fights at ‘The World’s Most Beautiful Race Course’
- Bryant and Santiago set to tangle Friday night at the Hamilton Manor!!
- CANADIAN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP GEORGE CHUVALO SET FOR 2014 HALL OF FAME WEEKEND
- Friday is time to shine for M-1 Global light heavyweight champion Viktor Nemkov
- WARREN WINS SAUNDERS-BLANDAMURA PURSE BIDS
- Bruno Escalante to defend IBA Super Flyweight Title against Victor Ruiz April 5
Pacquiao’s next opponent could be picked this week for December 8th fight
By Rob Smith: Manny Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz is reporting that negotiations are complete with the potential opponent for Pacquiao’s next fight on December 8th in Las Vegas, and the only thing that is needed now is Top Rank promoter Bob Arum’s final decision. It’s going to be either Tim Bradley or Juan Manuel Marquez, two of Pacquiao’s past opponents. The opponent could be announced on Thursday, September 13th. That’s the word that has been floating around.
Koncz told RingTV “We’re done negotiation. We’ll present everything to Bob, and he will decide what he wants to do.”
Interesting. I thought Pacquiao was supposed to be the one that is picking out his next opponent, but Koncz sure is making it seem as if Arum is the ultimate decider in the choosing.
It’s not all that appealing Pacquiao facing the retreads that Arum has offered up to him. Boxing fans want to see Pacquiao fight someone new instead of seeing the same old Top Rank fighters brought in repeatedly for fights against him. At this point it would be more interesting to see Pacquiao fight someone completely new, even if it meant that the fight would likely be a mismatch. Seeing Pacquiao fight Bradley again would be like watching paint dry.
Sure it might be competitive, but who wants to watch Bradley running around the ring for 12 rounds and Pacquiao only fighting hard in the last 20 seconds of every round. Arum would really make a lot of boxing fans happy if he picked out someone that matched Pacquiao’s style better. A good pressure fighter would be an excellent opponent for Pacquiao even if it meant him getting an early knockout. Pacquiao hasn’t knocked out anyone since 2009, so it would be worth it to see him KO someone for a change.
If I was to guess who gets the fight with Pacquiao I’d say it’s probably going to be 39-year-old Marquez. The likely reason why the fight hasn’t been made yet is because Marquez might want a lot of money, more than what they were hoping to give him. Bradley is not a good option because his fight with Pacquiao last June didn’t make a ton of money like Pacquiao’s recent fights. But a fourth fight between Pacquiao and Marquez might not bring in the old numbers that Arum is used to getting, because the match-up has been done too many times already. It’s been played out like a joke that’s been told too many times to the same audience. Arum needs some new material for Pacquiao. He needs to make the Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight already. How long is he going to wait to finally make that fight happen? I’d hate to see Pacquiao and Mayweather having to use a cane to get around the ring when the fight is finally made.
- Canelo stops Angulo in 10th; Santa Cruz defeats Mijares
- Rustam Nugaev and Roman Morales Victorious on ESPN Friday Night Fights
- Disappointment For Marston, Prince Reigns Supreme, Sensational Ozgul Bros roll on
- Hardy & Paddock Claim Titles in Bumper Night of Boxing Action
- Acourtier ‘Warzone’ Event Review
- Thompson Boxing Promotions “New Blood” Results: Carlson Wins WBC Latino 118 lb. Title
- DeGale defeats Khatchikian in a surprisingly competitive fight
- Andre Berto Cleared by Physician for Light Sparring, to Begin Full Contact in Mid-April
- Scouting Report for Saturday’s Adamek-Glazkov Fight on NBCSN Fight Night
- Huck fractures thumb, March 29th show cancelled
- Carl Froch: The Reluctant Warrior
- WBO no.4 rated Maxwell Awuku seeks Mikey Garcia fight
- Canelo vs. Angulo: We Didn’t Learn Anything New
- Will Miguel Cotto vs. Sergio Martinez Decide Canelo’s Next Rival?