- Back at home Chris Algieri's whirlwind continues
- Bermane Stiverne Interview: The WBC Heavyweight Champion Speaks Out
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int'l Intrigue
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Video: George Groves - Christopher Rebrasse Weigh-In
- Ashley Theophane talks Floyd Mayweather and Mayhem
- American heavyweight sensation Jarrell Miller on MSG tonight
- Lightweight Jose Roman Training Camp Notes
- GOLOVKIN/RUBIO Standing Room Only Tickets on Sale Today at 1pm PT!!!
- Wright vs Bujaj on MSG tonight
- Kal Yafai is looking to add a second major title to his collection
- Andy Gatenby seeking sixth straight win
Pound for pound best Lomachenko latest addition to APB
London, Great Britain, 11 August 2012 – The AIBA Professional Boxing (APB) Program has underlined its position at the top of world boxing after signing Ukrainian Olympic Champion Vasyl Lomachenko and teammates AIBA World Champions Oleksandr Usyk and Taras Shelestyuk for the competition, which starts next year.
AIBA is also delighted to announce that fellow top Ukrainian boxers Denys Berinchyk, Oleksandr Gvozdyk and Pavlo Ishchenko, along with Tajik star Anvar Yunusov and Argentine duo Fernando Martinez and Junior Leandro Zarate have also put pen to paper to join the APB Program.
Dr Ching-Kuo Wu, AIBA President and APB Board Chairman said: “These signings are a real message of intent and this is only the beginning. The future of our sport has arrived, Olympic and Professional boxing under one umbrella, united for a better and more prosperous future.”
Considered by many to be the best pound for pound Olympic boxer, 24-year-old Lomachenko is a boxing superstar in the making. Already an Olympic gold medallist after his success in the Featherweight (57kg) category at the 2008 Beijing Games, he is also a two-time AIBA World Champion after triumphing both in Milan in 2009 and in Baku in 2011. The electric orthodox fighter has fine pedigree and will light up the APB competition when it gets underway in the fall of 2013.
Heavyweight (91kg) supremo Oleksandr Usyk is also the current AIBA World Champion at that weight and has both the technique and the poise to become as household name for years to come.
Taras Shelestyuk was also part of the Ukraine squad at the AIBA World Boxing Championships Baku 2011 and was victorious in the Welterweight (69kg) category. At 26, he is one of the rising stars of the Ukrainian team while Denys Berinchyk, 24, took the Light Welterweight (64kg) silver medal in the Azeri capital last year.
Light Heavyweight (81kg) revelation Oleksandr Gvozdyk made a name for himself in last season’s World Series of Boxing where he fought for the Russian Franchise Dynamo Moscow. He went unbeaten in his four fights in that competition, defeating both 2011 WSB Individual Championships finalists in the process.
Anvar Yunusov of Tajikistan was a bronze medallist at the AIBA World Boxing Championships Baku 2011 and was also one of the leading lights for the WSB Dynamo Moscow team; the Bantamweight (56kg) has the skills and the mentality to make a real impact on the sport.
Fernando Martinez and Junior Leandro Zarate of Argentina are young up and coming fighters who are destined to do great things and APB is delighted to also have them on board.
AIBA will launch APB in autumn 2013, a fully professional competition that will still allow boxers to compete in the Olympic Games. APB will revolutionize the world of boxing and establish a blueprint for its development.
Free Live Boxing, August 17 on Boxing Channel
Friday August 17 is another great night of live boxing on the Boxing Channel, free streaming of the NABA Light-Heavyweight Title match between Canadian Nicholson “Beezie” Poulard and Estonian “Anton Sjomkin” at the Holiday Inn Pointe-Claire starting at 7PM EST and promoted by Eye of the Tiger Management.
Poulard comes in from a big win over previously undefeated Lionell Thompson, Poulard is looking to continue to climb up the world rankings in the Light-Heavyweight division and if the Laval native is victorious in this bout he expects to land another major fight in November.
Live Boxing, Friday, August 17
Free Live Boxing, Aug 17
Undefeated Light -weight Ghislain Maduma will be facing Mexican Pedro Navarrete in the co-main event, this will be a good test for Meduma who, in his first 10 round fight, will be up against an experienced fighter and a true warrior.
The live webcast will provide seven bouts in total, and will include the professional debut of the newest member of Eye of the Tiger Management’s team Mian Hussain, who is considered one of the most promising prospects in the world. Other fights include, Chris Plaitis, Baha Laham and Ahmad Cheihko, an explosive fighter who delivers exciting bouts.
Tune in to BoxingChannel.tv on Friday, August 17 and enjoy great live boxing for free!
- Fight To Educate Boxing Results
- Conquest, Sparrow & Wright post wins at Tuesday Night Fights in Philadelphia
- The Calm after the “Mayhem”
- “My Fingers Was Numb!” Mayweather Survives Alleged Nom, Dances to UD in Maidana Rematch
- Cecilia Brækhus unifies division
- Danny McDermott wins WBU junior welterweight championship in GenSan
- Floyd Mayweather Remains Perfect In Rematch With Marcos Maidana on SHOWTIME PPV
- Video: George Groves – Christopher Rebrasse Weigh-In
- Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues
- The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue
- Coach Kevin Barry discusses the prospects of his exciting young protégé Joseph Parker
- Gerald Washington, a big man looking to do big things