Povetkin: I would like to fight Klitschko
World Boxing Association (WBA) Heavyweight Champion Alexander Povetkin, who for the first time in his career was prepared by Kostya Tszyu, presented himself in best form at the fully packed Sporthalle Hamburg, Germany on Saturday. He won against former champion Hasim Rahman (50-8-2, 41 KOs) within two rounds in front of 4.000 spectators.
The start of the fight seemed to be on level terms but very quickly, Povetkin took control. After a well-placed left hook, followed by a barrage of big blows, Rahman started tumbling. Povetkin took full advantage of the situation and continually kept the pressure on his opponent, who was not able to defend himself anymore. Therefore, the referee stopped the bout after one minute and 46 seconds of round two. “Wladimir Klitschko takes on Mariusz Wach from Poland next. The winner has until the end of February to face Alexander inside the ring,” said promoter Kalle Sauerland afterwards.
Povetkin himself is hoping for a Klitschko victory. “I would like to fight Wladimir. A fight between him and myself would be very exciting and interesting to watch,” said the successful WBA Champion.
The second heavyweight highlight of the night saw current European and IBF International Champion Kubrat Pulev take on Alexander Ustinov (27-1, 21 KOs) who resides in Belarus. Pulev won the bout in round eleven against his eight cm taller and over 50 pounds bigger opponent.
Also successful on Saturday night: “Golden” Jack Culcay. The light middleweight, who just turned 27 on Wednesday, presented himself with the biggest gift by winning against Brit Mark Thompson (24-2, 14 KOs) through TKO in round five. Referee Leszek Jankowiak ended the bout after a series of punches with only twelve seconds left on the clock. Culcay´s record now stands at 13 victories out of 13 fights, with nine KOs to his record.
- OSCAR DE LA HOYA ELECTED TO THE INTERNATIONAL BOXING HALL OF FAME
- Adrien Broner and Marcos Maidana media conference call MEDIA
- Three R&R Promotions fighters collect WBC USA titles over the weekend
- Josesito Lopez quotes
- Manny Pacquiao Is Back On April 12, At The MGM Grand, Las Vegas
- Bob Arum: “We’re Willing To Make Anything Happen”
- De La Hoya, Trinidad and Calzaghe all headed into The Hall of Fame – all three greats fully deserving of the honour
- Australian Boxing: Zac Dunn Stops Marlon Alta in Five
- Jeff Lacy Returns With Third Round Stoppage
- Travis Kauffman dismantles Barnett in the first round
- Nothing Spoiled in Quebec: Stevenson and Kovalev are Victorious
- Adonis Stevenson – Fighter Of The Year for 2013?
- Gaelle Amand And Nikki Adler Victorious In WBF World Title Fights
- Stevenson obliterates Bellew; Kovalev crushes Sillakh