Scott Quigg Britain’s Best Young Boxer of the Year
HATTON Promotions fast rising star Scott Quigg has been voted Britain’s Best Young Boxer of the Year by the Boxing Writers’ Club.
Bury’s British super-bantamweight champion will receive the prestigious Geoffrey Simpson award during a glitzy ceremony at London’s Savoy Hotel on Monday October 15.
He is aiming to follow in the footsteps of Naseem Hamed, his promoter Ricky Hatton, Joe Calzaghe, Nigel Benn, Frank Bruno, Barry McGuigan, John Conteh, John H Stracey, Ken Buchanan, Howard Winstone and Terry Downes, who all went on to become world champions after being voted Best Young Boxer.
Quigg is unbeaten in 25 professional fights and currently training for his WBA interim world title rematch against Rendall Munroe at Manchester Arena on Saturday November 24.
His promoter Ricky Hatton who makes his comeback on the bill said: “It was a proud moment for me when the Boxing Writers’ Club voted for me so I know Scott will be honoured.
“He lives and breathes boxing and there is no more deserving winner of the award than Scott, who is one of the world’s finest prospects.
“It is also fantastic for all of us at Hatton Promotions to know that the media rate one of our young boxers so highly.”
Quigg became British champion by stopping veteran Jason Booth in seven rounds last October and climbed off the floor to stop Jamie Arthur in the eighth round of his first title defence four months later.
Quigg’s first fight against Munroe back in June ended on a technical draw when his rival suffered a bad over the right eye after an accidental clash of heads.
Quigg, 23, said: “I am very proud to receive this award from the Boxing Writers Club.
“When I was told I had won the award it took a while to really sink in especially when you look at some of the people who have won the award in the past.
“It just drives me on to be the best I possibly can. It’s my dream to become a world champion.
“To be mentioned in the same breath as Ricky Hatton, Frank Bruno and Nigel Benn is a great Honour. I can’t thank the boxing writers enough.”
- Mike Tyson’s blue-chip welterweight prospect Erickson Lubin is future of boxing
- Will Agbeko Perform Better Than Donaire Against Rigondeaux?
- WBC News
- Livestream: Judah vs Malignaggi Presser & Weigh-In
- Connecticut Boxing Hall of Fame a knockout success
- Chris Mannix: “I’m Told Mayweather-Khan Is a Done Deal”
- Lewis Taylor targets Adam Etches
- Broadway Boxing: Melson Beats King, Rosa Handles Wilson Easily
- Australian Boxing: Zac Dunn Stops Marlon Alta in Five
- Jeff Lacy Returns With Third Round Stoppage
- Travis Kauffman dismantles Barnett in the first round
- Nothing Spoiled in Quebec: Stevenson and Kovalev are Victorious
- Adonis Stevenson – Fighter Of The Year for 2013?
- Gaelle Amand And Nikki Adler Victorious In WBF World Title Fights