- Garcia, Salka, Lamont Peterson & More Conference Call Transcript
- SADAM ALI, ANTHONY PETERSON, MARCUS BROWNE AND SEVERAL HOT PROSPECTS TAKE TO THE RING AUG. 9
- LAMONT PETERSON, ANTHONY PETERSON AND D’MITRIUS BALLARD WASHINGTON D.C. MEDIA WORKOUT QUOTES
- MANUEL “TINO” AVILA RETURNS HOME AGAINST UNBEATEN JUNIOR FEATHERWEIGHT SERGIO FRIAS ON FOX SPORTS 1 AND FOX DEPORTES’ GOLDEN BOY LIVE! SERIES FRIDAY, AUGUST 22
- Rod Salka, Edgar Santana & Jarrod Fletcher Relish Chance To Shock The World On Aug. 9 At Barclays Center
- Harley Davidson San Diego to hold Thompson Boxing Promotions “Path to Glory SD Style” Aug. 16
Teon Kennedy vs. Jerry Belmontes on December 8th
Philadelphia, PA-Former world-title challenger Teon Kennedy, of Philadelphia, and undefeated Jerry Belmontes, of Corpus Christi, meet in a 10-round junior lightweight contest on Saturday evening, Dec. 8, at Pearson/McGonigle Halls on the campus of Temple University. The fight will be part of the NBC Sports Network Fight Night show.
Topping the show will be another Philadelphian, Bryant “By By” Jennings, who defends his USBA heavyweight championship against Bowie Tupou, of Tongo, in a scheduled 12-round contest.
The eight-fight live card begins at 7pm and the NBCSN broadcast will begin at 9PM ET.
“Teon no longer can fight as a super bantamweight,” said promoter J Russell Peltz. “He has had trouble making 122 pounds for more than a year and he feels more comfortable at 130. He wants to make a run at junior lightweight and he picked a formidable foe in Belmontes, who has not lost in 17 pro fights.”
Main Events CEO, Kathy Duva, said “This is a classic “crossroads” situation for both fighters. Belmontes is the new guy, trying to make a name for himself while Kennedy is at an entirely different kind of crossroads in his career as he reinvents himself in a higher weight class.”
Kennedy. 26, has not boxed since June 9 when he was stopped in five rounds in Las Vegas, NV, by Guillermo Rigondeuax, of Cuba, in their scheduled 12-round bout for Rigondeaux’ WBA super bantamweight title.
A pro since 2007, Kennedy has a 17-2-2 record with seven knockouts. He is a former USBA super bantamweight champion and has wins over Jorge Diaz, of New Brunswick, NJ, and over Jose Angel Berranza and Alex Becerra.
Kennedy is happy to be back in Philly, “It’s a great opportunity to fight on this card in Philly, cause I can showcase my skill again on TV…and when I win, it will put me me back where I need to be.”
Belmontes, 23, is 17-0, 5 K0s. Known as the “Corpus Christi Kid”, Belmontes was an amateur superstar in Texas, and has dispatched seventeen straight opponents since turning professional in 2008.
In his last fight on Sept. 8 at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ, Belmontes earned an eight-round unanimous decision over Joselito Collado, of Jamaica, Queens, NY. In May of this year he easily outpointed Ramesis Gil in 8 rounds in Pharr,TX.
Jerry Belmontes – Photo credits: Kamil Krzaczynski
Photo credits: Kamil Krzaczynski
This will be Belmontes’ second fight on the East Coast. Belmontes immediately jumped at the opportunity to take this fight with no concern about being in Kennedy’s backyard, “Hell yeah, I’ll take the fight! Fans are really going to like this one. I have watched all of Kennedy’s fights on TV. I have a lot of confidence I’ll get the ‘W’.”
ABOUT DECEMBER 8TH
Pearson/McGonigle Halls, a 4,500-seat venue at Temple University located at 1800 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19121. It has hosted both professional and amateur boxing in the past, but when NBC Sports Network broadcasts the sixth installment of its “Fight Night” series on Dec. 8, it will be the first professional boxing event held at Pearson/McGonigle Halls in over 19 years.
Eight bouts are planned for the Philadelphia card. The fight is promoted by Main Events, Peltz Boxing, and Goossen-Tutor Promotions in association with BAM Boxing. For ticket information, contact Peltz Boxing at 215-765-0922, www.peltzboxing.com. Tickets also are on sale at www.comcastTIX.com.
2012-2013 NBC SPORTS NETWORK FIGHT NIGHT SCHEDULE
(All times ET and subject to change)
Saturday, December 8 9 p.m. – 11p.m. NBC Sports Network
Saturday, December 22 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. NBC
Saturday, January 19 9 p.m. – 11 p.m. NBC Sports Network
Saturday, February 23 10:30 p.m. – 12:30 a.m. NBC Sports Network
Saturday, March 9 10 p.m. – 12 a.m. NBC Sports Network
Tweet the link to NBC Sports Network Fight Night channel finder: bit.ly/175UuU
Twitter: #FightNight Twitter: @main_events @NBCSN Facebook:facebook.com/MainEventsBoxing facebook.com/NBCSports
- Damien Hooper beats Casey
- German commission (BDB) changes result: Hammer vs. Mathis a “no contest”
- Carlos Carlson Retains WBC Latino Bantamweight Title at “Locked n Loaded” Ontario, CA
- Dusty Hernandez-Harrison Dominates At Madison Square Garden
- GGG – a modest definition of danger?
- Gennady Golovkin – The Real Deal Destroys Daniel “The Real Deal” Geale
- Bryant Jennings Gets Title Shot With Victory; Geale Loses in Spirited Effort
- Kovalev “The Krusher” back on the Boardwalk & Rios vs Chaves potential FOTY
- Broner, Matthysse & Berto Featured Sept. 6 On SHOWTIME In Cincinnati
- Kovalev-Caparello Final Press Conference Quotes
- Wladimir Klitschko and Kubrat Pulev sell out the O2 Arena in Hamburg, Germany
- Austin Trout: “I’m ready to get back to the top.”
- Live Stream: Kovalev vs. Caparello Final Press Conference
- Flaws of Boxing