- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather's Power
- Manny Pacquiao: good enough to compete, but should now retire
- Mayweather Vs. Maidana: Preview And Prediction
- Maidana doesn't have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn "Showtime" Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- The Pound-for-Pound Top 10
- AWE to Air WBA World Championship LIVE this Saturday
- THE HALF-SOLVED “MAYWEATHER VS. PACQUIAO”
- “Payasito”-Tostado in the works for May in Mexico
- A Trio of U.S. Boxers Earn Preliminary Round Victories at the 2014 Youth World Championships
- Chinese Taipei impress in Sofia
- Browne v Bahoeli to be broadcast to Australia and across Asia
Ustinov: “The Klitschko Brothers are the heavyweight kings”
Come September 29 all eyes will be on Hamburg, Germany, as three title fights will top the bill at Alsterdorfer Sporthalle. Light Middleweight Jack Culcay is going to defend his WBA Intercontinental Championship against Mark Thompson and WBA World Heavyweight Champion Alexander Povetkin will be trying to fend off the bid of mandatory challenger and former WBC and IBF Champion Hasim Rahman. But another heavyweight bout could steal the show, when Kubrat Pulev and Alexander Ustinov collide not only for the European and the IBF International Championship but also the number one spot in the IBF rankings. So the winner will come closer to challenge current World Champion Wladimir Klitschko in the not too distant future. In the following interview, the heavyweight colossus Ustinov talks about his chances of beating Pulev and earning this coveted position.
Alexander Ustinov, On September 29, you will challenge Kubrat Pulev for the European and IBF International Heavyweight Championship. How is your preparation going?
Alexander Ustinov: Everything is going well. I am currently in the final moments of my sparring, so on the day of the fight I will be in tip-top shape and ready to win!
What do you expect from Pulev and how are you going to deal with it?
Alexander Ustinov: We are both experienced professionals and know the boxing business pretty good. Kubrat will enter the ring to win just like me! It is going to be a great fight!
You have won 21 of your 27 fights by knockout – Pulev 8 out of 16. Would you say that you are the bigger puncher and that his power is not as much of a concern to you?
Alexander Ustinov: I do not consider myself just as a big puncher. I just do my job inside the ring. However, if there is a possibility to finish the combat in the early rounds – then why not? I will take the chance!
You are currently fighting for K2, the banner of the Klitschko brothers. Have you actually sparred with them and if so, what have you learned by sparring them?
Alexander Ustinov: I have helped Vitali twice to prepare for a fight and it was always a great experience for me. After that, I have realised one very simple but very important thing: If you want to be the best, then you have to deal with the best! I am proud of being able to help Vitali.
The fight against Pulev is not only for the European Championship but also for the number one spot in the IBF world rankings. Therefore, if you should be able to beat Pulev, your next opponent could be Wladimir Klitschko. Are you thinking about that?
Alexander Ustinov: The Klitschko Brothers are currently the heavyweight kings. Everybody wants to face them, but not everybody has the chance to get into the ring with them. Well, if I should get that opportunity I will be very happy.
Tickets for the big event can be purchased online at www.eventim.de and
- July Draws with Graves; Vows for better showing in next bout
- Jordan Shimmell wins by TKO on the Golden Boy show in Chicago
- Pacquiao is back as he beats Bradley
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Pacquiao vs Bradley, Canelo vs Lara, and Bob Arum!!
- Video: Manuel Charr outworks Kevin Johnson over ten
- ‘The Master’ Masternak dominates in Denmark
- Andy Lee Wins Denmark Encounter
- Official Weigh-in Results for Hopkins-Shumenov
- Hopkins – Shumenov weigh-in livestream at 1pm ET
- Bernard Hopkins warns Shumenov ‘to get ready for school’
- Video: Crolla vs. Murray weigh-in
- Video: Quigg vs Munyai Weigh-In
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn “Showtime” Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- Showtime Tripleheader gives BHOP a chance to add more legend to his longevity