- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent
- Klitschko working with 15 sparring partners to get ready for Pulev
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri's talent level
- Shakur Stevenson, Jajaira Gonzalez and Darmani Rock to Kick Off 2014 Youth Olympic Games Competition for Team USA
- 2nd Installment of Tuesday Night Fights to take place on September 16 at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia
- MIKE TYSON PRESENTS BIG TEXAS THROWDOWN!! September 26, Mesquite TX
- Joe Ward: “I’m thankful that AIBA gave me the opportunity to be involved in APB”
- Shoulder injury forces Nicola Adams out of the 2014 Women’s Boxing World Championships in South Korea
- Undefeated lightweight contender Ivan Redkach Now trained by Robert Garcia
Wegner likes Abraham’s chances against Stieglitz on August 25th
Arthur Abraham (34-3, 27 KOs) is reaching for a super-middleweight world championship. After two unsuccessful quests – fights against Carl Froch in November 2010 and Andre Ward in May 2011 – he is now aiming to get it right in his third attempt. In order to get the title, the former middleweight champion who climbed up to number one in the World Boxing Organization (WBO) rankings, has to take out the current WBO Champ Robert Stieglitz (42-2, 23 KOs). Coach Ulli Wegner gave his views on the upcoming fight at the o2 World Berlin, Germany.
Mr. Wegner, once again Arthur Abraham has the opportunity of becoming the Super-Middleweight World champion. This time he will fight it out for the WBO Title on August 25. How do you see his chances?
Ulli Wegner: If Arthur puts his full potential on display I have no doubt that he is going to win. But it’s not possible to predict outcomes of any kind of sport related activity. Under normal circumstances Team Sauerland should have another world champion.
Robert Stieglitz is the defending champion. How strong of an opposition is he?
Ulli Wegner: I have nothing but praise for Robert Stieglitz and his attitude and aggressive style of boxing. He makes the best out of his abilities. But Arthur is a level above Stieglitz. If Stieglitz should win on the night he would be a ‘Super Hero’ in my eyes.
What kind of impression has Arthur Abraham made on you during your training sessions?
Ulli Wegner: We started our preparation in Zinnowitz, Germany and he did really well there. Now during the sparring sessions in Kienbaum, Germany he is slowly getting to his best. That is exactly how it is supposed to be in professional sports.
Abraham will be fighting in his home city of Berlin at the o2 World. Will the fans give him extra motivation?
Ulli Wegner: If that doesn’t give him extra motivation he might as well stop right now. He has never been in such a great position of winning a super-middleweight world championship. He only has to grab this opportunity with both hands.
Tickets can be purchased at www.eventim.de or www.o2world-berlin.de. Alternatively, ticket information can be obtained at www.boxing-online.com or www.sesboxing.de.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Goosen gives Deontay Wilder a good chance of beating Stiverne
- Mayweather hopes Khan fight will happen in 2015
- Austin Trout in a make or break fight tonight against Daniel Dawson
- Sam Soliman vs. Jermain Taylor to be televised by ESPN2 on October 8th
- Abner Mares signs with Al Haymon
- Lucian Bute in action on 12/6 at Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada
- Hearn wants to schedule Brook-Khan fight for the summer in 2015