- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Is Canelo capable of taking the baton from Mayweather to become boxing’s next PPV star?
- Maidana throwing 100 punches per round in training for Mayweather
- Deontay Wilder not worried about Stiverne’s power
- Maidana, Santa Cruz & Angulo quotes ahead of "Mayhem: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2"
- Golovkin with chance to become Cotto’s WBC mandatory if he beats Rubio
- Kiwitt Back On Home Soil
- Frankie De Alba Headlines on Saturday, October 4 at Valley Forge Casino & Resort
- Undefeated Mexican Future Stars In WBF Title Fights
- STALKER TO FACE JENKINS IN BRITISH TITLE ELIMINATOR ON MAGNIFICENT SEVEN CARD
- Heavyweight hopeful Otto Wallin returns on August 30
- Philippine Supreme Court issues temporary restraining order in Manny Pacquiao tax case
Yoan Pablo Hernandez and Troy Ross ready for battle on Saturday
(Picture: Team Sauerland) The moment of truth is just days away. The world will wait and see if Yoan Pablo Hernandez (26-1, 13 KOs) is able to defend his International Boxing Federation (IBF) Cruiserweight Title against Troy Ross (25-2, 16 KOs) from Canada. Coach Ulli Wegner is sure that the only possible outcome is a triumph for his prodigy Hernandez. “Troy Ross is a really strong opponent but on Saturday we will be victorious,” said the 70-year-old. During today’s public workout, Wegner proved that he is always good for a surprise.
Everyone is expecting to see a fight between two southpaws, but if today’s training session is anything to go by, that might not be the case after all. While working with the pads, Hernandez did start in his usual stance but midway through he switched to an orthodox stance, right in front of Ross´ coach Christopher Amos. Could the current champion be fighting as an orthodox boxer on September 15? It would not be the first time. Ulli Wegner: “Pablo was a member of the cast for the movie ‘Max Schmeling’. He had the role of Joe Louis and was acting alongside Henry Maske. For the movie Hernandez switched to orthodox. You will have to wait and see what happens on Saturday.”
Nevertheless, he was just as powerful and put his remarkable hand speed and strength on display and it will be interesting to see which Hernandez steps into the ring in three days time.
Troy Ross´ session was not as spectacular as Hernandez´. The 37-year-old did show the whole variety of his preparations to the representatives of the media and fans. He started with some rope skipping, continued with shadow boxing and then ended his training by hitting the pads.
“Come Saturday the boxing abilities will be the decisive factor. That will make the difference. Boxing is a tough sport. The training is really hard. I have been preparing a lot for this fight. I have no ill feelings towards Hernandez. I just want to prove that my set of skills is better than his. That way I will take the belt home with me”, said the Canadian after his stint.
Also in Bamberg is Dominik Britsch (26-0-1, 9 K.o.´s). For the second time in his career the boxer from Neckarsulm, Germany, who was also part of today’s training session, will step into the ring with the Spaniard Roberto Santos (17-6-2, 9 KOs). Their last fight was in February in Stuttgart, Germany. That bout ended in a draw. Now, both fighters are determined to be victorious and make the vacant EU Title their own. “This is my forth fight here in Bamberg. I won the previous three. I will give it my all to keep my winning streak in this city alive,” said the 24-year-old middleweight.
Tickets for the event in Bamberg can be purchased online at www.eventim.de and www.kartenkiosk-bamberg.de.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Ricky Burns looking for 3rd division world title at 140 in 2015
- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri’s talent level
- Brandon Rios vs. Ruslan Provodnikov in the works for November
- Alfredo Angulo not worried about September 13th fight against De La Rosa
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent
- Frampton will beat Kiko Martinez, says Santa Cruz