- Beamen Ready to Rule!
- Sampson Boxing Reaches Promotional Agreement with Canada’s Tyson Cave
- Joey Dawejko scores 2nd consecutive 1st round knockout
- Heavyweight Prospect LaRon Mitchell Signs w/ Thompson Boxing; Fights this Friday on “Path to Glory”
- “Bad” Chad Dawson returns to Foxwoods resort casino on October 4th
- GOLOVKIN 165, RUBIO 174.5 AT 30-DAY WBC WEIGH IN
2013 AIBA Elite Men’s World Championships Action Moves in to Day Five in Kazakhstan
(COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO.) – Two American boxers returned to the ring for their second preliminary contests while a third United States’ competitor boxed for the first time at the 2013 Elite Men’s World Championships in Almaty, Kazakhstan on Friday. Flyweight Malik Jackson (Washington, D.C.) and light welterweight Jose Alday (Odessa, Texas) each claimed first victories earlier in the week to advance to today’s action while heavyweight Michael Hilton (Trenton, N.J.) debuted on Friday night in Almaty. All three U.S. boxers dropped their preliminary round decisions in Friday’s action.
Jackson faced the toughest test of the day for his United States squad, battling reigning World Champion and top seeded boxer Andrew Selby of Wales. The 2012 Olympian and number one ranked boxer in the world took a 3-0 decision over Jackson in their second round contest, eliminating the American flyweight from the tournament.
In the second American bout of the day, Alday took on the Dominican Republic’s Carlos Adame in light welterweight competition. Alday dropped a 3-0 decision to Adame in the second round contest, ending his World Championships run in Kazakhstan.
Hilton boxed in one of the final bouts of Friday’s action, facing Brazil’s Juan Nogueira in his World Championships debut. The bout was close throughout with the contest going in to the final round up for grabs. Yet, it was Nogueira taking the third round and the victory. Hilton fell by a 3-0 judges’ decision with all three judges giving the decision to his opponent by a one-point margin.
Light flyweight Leroy Davila (New Brunswick, N.J.) and super heavyweight Cam F. Awesome (Lenexa, Kansas) will compete in their long awaited tournament openers on Saturday afternoon. Davila will face North Korea’s Chung Ri with Awesome battling Argentina’s Facundo Ghiglione in tomorrow’s preliminary competition. Lightweight Kenneth Sims, Jr. (Chicago, Ill.) is the third remaining United States competitor, and he will return to action on Sunday evening in a match-up with number two seed Fazliddin Gaibnazarov of Uzbekistan.
Over 450 boxers from 100 nations are competing in the 2013 Elite Men’s World Championships in Almaty, Kazakhstan with preliminary round action running through October 22. Quarterfinal competition will take place on October 23 followed by a rest day for all competitors on October 24. Semifinal round action will be contested on October 25 and the event will conclude with championship round bouts in all 10 weight divisions on October 26.
The Elite Men’s World Championships take place every two years and the 2013 edition is the first since the 2012 Olympic Games in London. Live scoring for the event can be found on the AIBA website at www.aiba.org.
Ed Rivas (San Antonio, Texas), Kenneth Sims, Sr. (Chicago, Ill.), Kevin Benford (Cincinnati, Ohio), Edward “Mike” Murphy (Port Jeff Station, N.Y.), Jose Alday, Sr. (Odessa, Texas), and Todd Harlib (Cape Coral, Fla.) are serving as the staff for the event with Dr. Tony Al-Amin (Philadelphia, Pa.) working as the Team Physician.
114 lbs: Andrew Selby, WAL, dec. Malik Jackson, Washington, D.C./USA, 3-0
141 lbs: Carlos Adame, DOM, dec. Jose Alday, Odessa, Texas/USA, 3-0
201 lbs: Juan Nogueira, BRA, dec. Michael Hilton, Trenton, N.J./USA, 3-0
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- Wizardry: Palacios overcomes layoff to dominate Mendoza!
- Chuy Gutierrez wins first title Saturday in Las Vegas
- Groves back with a unanimous decision verdict to claim European crown and WBC mandatory position
- Dargan & Mchunu Walk Away With NABF Titles
- Groves defeats Rebrasse, now WBC mandatory for Dirrell
- Cletus Seldin blasts out Gil!
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Mayweather Promotions, Alex Ariza, Manny Pacquiao & More!!!
- Rick Glaser talks Mayweather/Maidana
- Tyson Fury Restrained By Tape, Chisora Vows Ko Win
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- The Return of the Saint
- Khan could be next for Mayweather, says Floyd Sr
- Groves asks Froch for fight, and gets turned down