- Mayweather Vs. Maidana: Preview And Prediction
- The Pound-for-Pound Top 10
- Manny Pacquiao: good enough to compete, but should now retire
- Maidana doesn't have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Beibut Shumenov: Preview And Prediction
- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather's Power
- Frazer Clarke looking to make history in next week’s England Boxing National Finals
- McDonnell lands dream World title fight at Wembley
- Thompson Boxing Promotions Presents “Loaded” card featuring Efrain Esquivias, Giovani Santillan, & Jose Roman
- “The Fight Game With Jim Lampley” Debuts Saturday, April 19 on HBO
- WSB: Daniel Asenov is the hero of the day
- AFN To Carry Tomorrow Night’s ShoBox Tripleheader With Sammy Vasquez
Adrien Broner Arrested for Battery
By John G. Thompson: Another black eye for boxing comes not in the ring but in the antics of one of the sport’s most promising young champions. Adrien “The Problem” Broner (26-0, 22 KO’s) spent a little time in jail on Monday after being arrested in Miami Beach, Florida on battery charges. Broner posted his mug shot on Instagram briefly, before removing it. The mug shot showed his booking time (10:13 am) and his bond amount was set at $1,500. So far details of the “battery” have not surfaced. As of now, it appears that Broner posted the bond and was released.
Broner tweeted at about 7:30 EST that evening, “They tried to keep a nigga locked down in MIA.”
At just twenty-three years of age, Broner is the current WBC lightweight champion having moved up from the super featherweight division, where he briefly ruled as the WBO champ. Broner won the WBC belt from Antonio DeMarco in December of 2012 in a dominant performance some view as his “coming out party,” and defended it in his most recent bout this past February, again dominating his opponent en route to a victory by stoppage.
Broner’s television future is a little uncertain as he is currently promoted by Golden Boy Promotions, who have recently parted ways with longtime partner HBO. All of Broner’s most recent fights were broadcast on HBO. According to sources, Broner’s contract with Golden Boy expires in April and there are some rumors of him signing with Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson’s promotional company TMT, which could allow him to continue to fight on HBO. Then again, Broner’s idol Floyd Mayweather Jr. recently started his own promotional company and signed a lucrative deal (understatement) with HBO’s leading competitor Showtime. A partnership with Broner and Mayweather would make a lot of financial sense if Broner would be willing to leave HBO.
According to Boxrec.com, Broner is scheduled to move up in weight again after just two fights at lightweight to face Paulie “The Magic Man” Malignaggi on June 22 for Paulie’s WBA World welterweight title. The fight was set to take place in Malignaggi’s home town of Brooklyn, NY at the Barclay’s Center. The fight would most likely have been aired on HBO, even though Malignaggi is currently a ringside commentator for Showtime, but depending on Broner’s contract negotiations and legal affairs, this could all change quickly.
- July Draws with Graves; Vows for better showing in next bout
- Jordan Shimmell wins by TKO on the Golden Boy show in Chicago
- Pacquiao is back as he beats Bradley
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Pacquiao vs Bradley, Canelo vs Lara, and Bob Arum!!
- Video: Manuel Charr outworks Kevin Johnson over ten
- ‘The Master’ Masternak dominates in Denmark
- Andy Lee Wins Denmark Encounter
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn “Showtime” Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- Showtime Tripleheader gives BHOP a chance to add more legend to his longevity
- ShoBox: The New Generation Final Weights & Quotes For Friday’s Iron Mike Productions Tripleheader
- Final press conference quotes for “History at the capitol: Bernard Hopkins vs. Beibut Shumenov”
- The British Invader: Steed “The Stallion” Woodall
- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather’s Power
- Maidana doesn’t have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money