- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent
- Klitschko working with 15 sparring partners to get ready for Pulev
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri's talent level
- Shakur Stevenson, Jajaira Gonzalez and Darmani Rock to Kick Off 2014 Youth Olympic Games Competition for Team USA
- 2nd Installment of Tuesday Night Fights to take place on September 16 at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia
- MIKE TYSON PRESENTS BIG TEXAS THROWDOWN!! September 26, Mesquite TX
- Joe Ward: “I’m thankful that AIBA gave me the opportunity to be involved in APB”
- Shoulder injury forces Nicola Adams out of the 2014 Women’s Boxing World Championships in South Korea
- Undefeated lightweight contender Ivan Redkach Now trained by Robert Garcia
Amateur Star Iain Weaver To Pro Debut On Apr 27th York Hall Event
2010 Commonwealth Boxing Championships Gold Medalist and European Silver Medalist Iain Weaver has been added to the Dave Murphy promoted ‘Thunder & Lightning’ event, headlined by Dean ‘Irish Lightning’ Byrne versus Jay ‘IOW Assassin’ Morris International Masters Welterweight title clash, at York Hall in Bethnal Green, London on Saturday 27th April.
Weaver, who was a pivotal member of Team GB Podium squad in the build up to the London 2012 Olympic Games, sensationally became the 2009 ABA Champion, with a 19-14 points win over Blain Younis, on his first Senior outing.
The following year Weaver won gold at the Commonwealth Boxing Championships in New Delhi.
On his way to the Gold Medal position, Weaver beat Olympic bronze medalist Bruno Julie, India’s Akhil Kumar and in the final Sri Lanka’s MDK Wanniarachchi.
With the Commonwealth Gold secured next up was the European Championships, which in 2010 were held in Moscow.
Weaver defeated the Spaniard Rodrigues Molina 11-3 in the 1st round, then beat Sweden’s Bashir Hassan-Salad 8-3 in the second and then Frenchman Oualid Belaoura in the quarter finals.
He then went on to beat Ireland’s Tyrone McCullagh in the semi-final to earn the right to face Germany’s Denis Makarov in the final.
The first round was an edgy affair, neither Weaver nor Makarov seemed to want to give anything away. There was more action in the second round, after which Weaver was mightily unlucky to be trailing 3-2.
In the final round, Weaver fought hard in his attempt to overcome the deficit, however the judges continued to score points only for the German. At the end of the contest the scorecard read 7-2, in favour of Makarov.
There was little surprise, that with Commonwealth Boxing Championships Gold and European Silver firmly in his possession, that Weaver was selected, ahead of London 2012 Gold Medalist Luke Campbell, to contest the main Commonwealth Games in 2010, which were again held in Delhi.
In the first round Weaver defeated Vusie Simelane of Swaziland 10-1, to set up a quarter final clash against home town favourite Kumar. Some good old fashioned ‘home cooking’ proved to much for the Englishman to overcome, leaving eventual Gold Medalist Kumar the 11-6 winner in front of the highly vocal home crowd.
After failing to be selected for the London 2012 Olympics Weaver announced his intention to turn professional.
Weaver will be making his debut, against a yet to be named opponent, on the undercard of the Dean ‘Irish Lightning’ Byrne versus Jay ‘IOW Assassin’ Morris International Masters Welterweight Championship clash that headlines Dave Murphy’s Thunderdrome Promotions ‘Thunder & Lightning’ event at York Hall, Bethnal Green in London on the 27th April 2013.
Tickets, priced £65 (Ringside), £35 (Floor) and £30 (Balcony) are available on-line at www.tkoboxoffice.com and www.mariannemarston.com or in person at the TRAD TKO Boxing Gym in Canning Town, London E16 4SA – www.tkoboxinggym.com – or the Ringtone Gym in Euston, London NW1 2PB – www.ringtonehealthandfitness.com – Tel: 07960 850645 or 07557 641597 for further information.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Goosen gives Deontay Wilder a good chance of beating Stiverne
- Mayweather hopes Khan fight will happen in 2015
- Austin Trout in a make or break fight tonight against Daniel Dawson
- Sam Soliman vs. Jermain Taylor to be televised by ESPN2 on October 8th
- Abner Mares signs with Al Haymon
- Lucian Bute in action on 12/6 at Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada
- Hearn wants to schedule Brook-Khan fight for the summer in 2015