- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent
- Klitschko working with 15 sparring partners to get ready for Pulev
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri's talent level
- Shakur Stevenson, Jajaira Gonzalez and Darmani Rock to Kick Off 2014 Youth Olympic Games Competition for Team USA
- 2nd Installment of Tuesday Night Fights to take place on September 16 at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia
- MIKE TYSON PRESENTS BIG TEXAS THROWDOWN!! September 26, Mesquite TX
- Joe Ward: “I’m thankful that AIBA gave me the opportunity to be involved in APB”
- Shoulder injury forces Nicola Adams out of the 2014 Women’s Boxing World Championships in South Korea
- Undefeated lightweight contender Ivan Redkach Now trained by Robert Garcia
Angel McKenzie: This Is The Biggest Fight Of My Life
South London’s Angel McKenzie challenges Germany’s Jennifer Retzke For World Crown On ‘Home Turf’ On October 4th.
Over the past few years former Big Brother star Angel ‘The Entertainer’ McKenzie has had a couple of title shots, unfortunately all were abroad and on very short notice, but now this is about to change, as the Brixton based pugilist is in the last stages of her preparations to challenge Germany’s Jennifer Retzke for the GBC World Light Welterweight crown on the Dave Murphy Acourtier Events Promoted NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS EVENT, At York Hall in Bethnal Green, London on Friday the 4th October.
As previously stated previously, Angel is not new to challenging for titles, the first being in February 2011, when she faced Lucia Morelli for the vacant WIBF Lightweight title, in Germany.
Just five months later Angel travelled to Spain, to challenge Mikaela Lauren for the WPBF crown.
Then in October 2012, she once again made the trek to Germany, this time to challenge Marie Riederer for the vacant WIBF Light Welterweight title.
In each case Angel went the distance, losing by points decision, something that Angel herself put down to her taking the fights at short notice, as well as possibly a little home advantage for her opponents.
However this time around things are likely to be very different, for a start Angel will have had ten weeks preparation for this fight, as well as the benefits of a new coach, Dean Knight and of course fighting for a title in her home city for the first time.
Following a sparring session with British Light Welterweight Champion Darren Hamilton and long time friend Super Bantamweight Marianne Marston, at the TRAD TKO Gym in Canning Town, Angel spoke briefly on this golden opportunity.
“I’m very pleased to fight for a World title here in London, it’s great news.
I’m very excited and I really want to win it, I really want to bring the title to the United Kingdom.
I love boxing, I’ve traveled all around the world, I really like fighting in England and think that we deserve a title here.
We just had the Olympics here and people here are still waiting for some big sporting event victory and I’m sure I’m going to give it to them.
I’m training really, really hard, I have a very good new coach, Dean Knight, he has me in very good shape.
I like discovering myself, I’m discovering new power, everyday I learn something new, I’m still learning. I’ve been boxing all my life, yet still everyday I learn something new, I really like it.
To prepare I’ve been sparring with a lot of girls at Miguel’s Gym and Knight’s Gym, today I’m at the TRAD TKO and have been sparring Darren (British Light Welterweight Champion Darren Hamilton) and Marianne (Super Bantamweight Marianne Marston).
This is the biggest fight of my life, so I have been getting a lot of very good sparring, I have to keep sharp and keep practicing.
I was supposed to fight Jennifer two years ago, but it was cancelled because the British Boxing Board of Control wouldn’t give permission for me to fight her.
Then I was supposed to fight her a year or so ago but it didn’t go through, again because of the British Boxing Board of Control.
I think this will be the toughest fight for Jennifer so far, I looked at her record and she hasn’t fought any of the girls I fought, I’ve fought the top girls like Myriam Lamare, Anne Sophie Mathis, Jessica Balogun, Delfine Persoon, Lucia Morelli, Mikaela Lauren, all the top girls, so I’m very proud of my record and deserve a shot at the title.
This really is my chance, it’s a challenge but gives me the chance to show everything I did before, by fighting all the top girls, will pay off.
To my fans, I love you all, come and watch me on October 4th.”
Jennifer Retzke versus Angel McKenzie World title clash co-headlines the Dave Murphy Acourtier Events promoted ‘NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS’ event, at York Hall in Bethnal Green, London on Friday, 4th October 2013
Tickets, priced £35 (Standard Seated) and £60 (Ringside) are available by calling Steve’s coach Barry Smith on 07407 499714 or on-line at www.acourtier.com – or in person from the TRAD TKO Boxing Gym in Canning town – www.tkoboxinggym.com – For further information call – 07960 850645, 07809 499896 or 07557 641597
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Goosen gives Deontay Wilder a good chance of beating Stiverne
- Mayweather hopes Khan fight will happen in 2015
- Austin Trout in a make or break fight tonight against Daniel Dawson
- Sam Soliman vs. Jermain Taylor to be televised by ESPN2 on October 8th
- Abner Mares signs with Al Haymon
- Lucian Bute in action on 12/6 at Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada
- Hearn wants to schedule Brook-Khan fight for the summer in 2015