- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Is Canelo capable of taking the baton from Mayweather to become boxing’s next PPV star?
- Maidana throwing 100 punches per round in training for Mayweather
- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Golovkin with chance to become Cotto’s WBC mandatory if he beats Rubio
- Kell Brook’s trainer doesn’t want him to take an easy fight on December 6th
- Howard Davis Jr. “Donovan, you don’t stand a chance against Dyah”
- MAYWEATHER PROMOTIONS CONFIRMED FOR INAUGURAL BOX FAN EXPO TO TAKE PLACE SEPT. 13 IN LAS VEGAS
- FIGHT FANS READY FOR AUGUST 22 ESPN FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS FROM PECHANGA RESORT & CASINO
- Abraham-Smith: kick-off press conference – quotes
- Kiwitt Back On Home Soil
- Frankie De Alba Headlines on Saturday, October 4 at Valley Forge Casino & Resort
Anthony Ogogo quotes
LONDON (January 16, 2013) – Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer hosted a press conference today at The Mayfair Hotel in London, England to officially announce the signing of 2012 British Olympic Bronze Medalist Anthony Ogogo to an exclusive promotional agreement. Media packed the room where Schaefer, Ogogo and Ogogo’s manager/agent Dean Baker (Head of Boxing at Wasserman Media Group) spoke about Anthony turning professional and his immediate and long-term future in the sport.
Anthony Ogogo, 2012 British Olympic Bronze Medalist
“I’m thrilled about turning professional. I can’t wait to get started. I knew Richard Schaefer was the guy that was going to help make my dreams come true. When we first met, we got along so well and I knew he shared my ambition to succeed.
“I want to be a superstar. I want to become the best British middleweight fighter of all time. I want to be knighted one day. I want to be ‘Sir Anthony.’ I know I have massive aspirations of what I want to be in my life and when I told Richard Schaefer, he said ‘OK, let’s do it.’
“I have already overcome a lot in my career with my shoulder injury and rehabilitation 18 months ago. Then my mom became seriously ill and I left to go to her side. I was in so much pain before the Olympics, but I did what I had to do. I was determined to win in spite of it all.
“I believe in my talents and in the people sitting with me here today and I know I’ll become the best British middleweight of all time.
“By signing with Golden Boy Promotions, it opens so many doors. I will have opportunities to fight all over the world on big cards, on big networks and train with top athletes. I look forward to going to train with guys like Golden Boy’s Middleweight World Champion Peter Quillin and sparring in Los Angeles and all over the world, but I will keep my main headquarters in England.
“I don’t think all of this will seem real until I’m walking up the steps to the ring on fight night. I know I have what it takes to succeed as a professional fighter. I’m athletic, I have fast hands, good foot work and my strength of character is different than other people. I went through a lot personally during the Olympics, but I was able to move past my personal problems and still win the Bronze Medal for the United Kingdom. It is that unique ability inside me that I know will help me as a professional fighter.”
Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions:
“I feel like we have something very special with Anthony Ogogo. He is already a star in the United Kingdom and we are going to make him a crossover superstar in the United States too.
“He’s a very special talent, well-spoken, clean cut, charismatic and a great fighter. If you have the right talent and charisma like Anthony has, the sky is the limit.
“Our goal is to have him fight regularly in the United Kingdom and in the United States. We want him to fight four times in each country, eight times a year.
“We want to take him from his first fight to a world championship and make him the best in boxing. Our goal is to make him a world champion like we have with Adrien Broner and Abner Mares.”
“We are hoping he can make his professional debut at the end of April or beginning of May, but we’re not sure if it will be in the United Kingdom or United States.
Dean Baker, Ogogo’s Manager/Agent, Head of Wasserman Media Group:
“We want to thank Richard Schaefer, Oscar De La Hoya and Golden Boy Promotions for sharing our vision for Anthony and his future. We are all on board to make him a crossover superstar and are excited about his future.
“I’ve known Anthony for a long time and he is one of the most charismatic, charming and talented guys I’ve ever met.”
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Ricky Burns looking for 3rd division world title at 140 in 2015
- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri’s talent level
- Brandon Rios vs. Ruslan Provodnikov in the works for November
- Alfredo Angulo not worried about September 13th fight against De La Rosa
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent