- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Is Canelo capable of taking the baton from Mayweather to become boxing’s next PPV star?
- Maidana throwing 100 punches per round in training for Mayweather
- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Golovkin with chance to become Cotto’s WBC mandatory if he beats Rubio
- Kell Brook’s trainer doesn’t want him to take an easy fight on December 6th
- Howard Davis Jr. “Donovan, you don’t stand a chance against Dyah”
- MAYWEATHER PROMOTIONS CONFIRMED FOR INAUGURAL BOX FAN EXPO TO TAKE PLACE SEPT. 13 IN LAS VEGAS
- FIGHT FANS READY FOR AUGUST 22 ESPN FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS FROM PECHANGA RESORT & CASINO
- Abraham-Smith: kick-off press conference – quotes
- Kiwitt Back On Home Soil
- Frankie De Alba Headlines on Saturday, October 4 at Valley Forge Casino & Resort
Anwar Returns On Elland Road ‘Yorkshire’s Finest’ Show
Light-welter Adil Anwar is looking forward to getting back in the proverbial saddle in his home city of Leeds on September 27, after falling short in the biggest fight of his career in his last outing. After racking up 19 wins against just one defeat, Adil secured a British title tilt against champion Darren Hamilton back in July, but was outworked over 12 rounds.
Now back on the title trail, the ‘Platinum Kid’ is delighted to be part of VIP Promotions’ ‘Yorkshire’s Finest’ show at Elland Road which features some of the county’s top boxing talent including local man Josh Warrington defending his English title, as well as Dewsbury’s former British king Gary Sykes and Hull’s recent Commonwealth title challenger Tommy Coyle.
“I’ve not fought in Leeds for a long time now with my last few fights being in Liverpool. So to be back in the city is exciting for myself and my supporters,” stated the 26-year-old. “It’s a big show with some really good fighters on so I’m looking forward to it. You’ve got top Yorkshire talent appearing like former British champ Gary Sykes, English champ Josh Warrington and Tommy Coyle who put in an exciting performance in his last fight, so it’s going to be a brilliant night.
“I’m also really pleased to be fighting so quickly after my British title loss. My manager Mark [Bateson] said ‘let’s get you a comeback fight straight away, get you back in action and keep that spirit going’ and he’s got this fight sorted straight away. So it’ll be good to get back in the ring.”
After the disappointment of not succeeding in his British title opportunity, Adil is determined to learn from the experience and work his way back into championship contention; hopefully starting with a win on his home patch at Elland Road. Acknowledging he was second best against the underrated Hamilton, the Yorkshireman remains positive about the future and adamant he will have a major belt around his waist soon.
“Looking back I don’t want to make any excuses, he beat me fair and square on the night. He was hungrier and more determined to keep that belt and take it back to London. It’s not knocked me or set me back where I’m thinking I’ll never get a shot again though. I will work hard again and I will fight for the British title again and hopefully this time win it. Losing has only made me more hungry and determined to succeed.”
“When you look at the quality fighters we’ve got on this show it really should be on TV,” explained Mark Bateson, who is co-promoting the show alongside VIP Promotions. “We’re expecting a huge crowd though and it’s great for those who can’t make it that they can watch it live on VIPBOXING.TV. This will be a really top night for Yorkshire boxing and it’s been a pleasure to work with Steve Wood on the show.”
‘Yorkshire’s Finest’ will take place at Elland Road on September 27 and will be headlined by Josh Warrington defending his English featherweight title against Ian Bailey. The undercard will feature Dewsbury’s former British super-featherweight champion, Gary Sykes; Leeds’ recent British light-welterweight title challenger, Adil Anwar; and Hull’s Tommy Coyle, who was involved in a terrific Commonwealth lightweight title challenge in July. Also appearing will be Leeds’ China Clarke; Bradford’s Nate Joseph, and York’s Harry Matthews.
Tickets, priced at £30 (General), £50 (Ringside), and £70 (VIP Ringside Table) are available from all boxers or at www.vipbe.co.uk.
The show will also be streamed live and free at www.vipboxing.tv
Keep updated on VIP Promotions’ news by visiting www.vipboxing.com or follow on Twitter @vipboxing and Facebook.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Ricky Burns looking for 3rd division world title at 140 in 2015
- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri’s talent level
- Brandon Rios vs. Ruslan Provodnikov in the works for November
- Alfredo Angulo not worried about September 13th fight against De La Rosa
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent