- Mayweather Vs. Maidana: Preview And Prediction
- The Pound-for-Pound Top 10
- Manny Pacquiao: good enough to compete, but should now retire
- Maidana doesn't have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Beibut Shumenov: Preview And Prediction
- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather's Power
- Browne v Bahoeli to be broadcast to Australia and across Asia
- Brandon Adams looks to stay undefeated with win over Gatica
- Frazer Clarke looking to make history in next week’s England Boxing National Finals
- McDonnell lands dream World title fight at Wembley
- Thompson Boxing Promotions Presents “Loaded” card featuring Efrain Esquivias, Giovani Santillan, & Jose Roman
- “The Fight Game With Jim Lampley” Debuts Saturday, April 19 on HBO
Argie Bargey – Malignaggi-Chaves Negotiations Fail, Scuppering Abu Dhabi Flagship Event
Showtime Sports Events (SSE) today announced that all negotiations for WBA Welterweight World Champion Paulie Malignaggi to defend his crown against interim Champion, Argentina’s Diego Chaves, at their inaugural event at Zayed Sports City, in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates on May 18th have been terminated.
The Showtime team first entered negotiations with Malignaggi on the 23rd January, with the intention that Brooklyn, USA based Malignaggi facing WBF Welterweight King, Tijuana, Mexico’s Humberto Soto, however the following day the WBA ordered Malignaggi to face mandatory challenger Chaves.
After some nifty negotiations by Malignaggi’s lawyer, Steven Bash, the SSE team agreed to a switch of opponent and immediately made a substantial offer to Diego Chaves’ management.
However, whilst Malignaggi was firmly on board in January, it was not until the 14th February, some three days after the deadline set by SSE for acceptance of the offer, that the Argentinian’s promoter, Osvaldo Rivero, actually began negotiations.
With the clock ticking, SSE’s matchmaker, Olaf Schroeder, and lawyer, Tony Wyatt, set to work in an attempt to secure Chaves’ signature.
With no further correspondence being received from Mr. Rivero by February 21st, just a few short days before both the WBA and proposed PPV provider’s deadline of February 24th, Showtime Sports Events Managing Director, Gianluca Di Caro intervened, by personally writing to Mr. Rivero.
Neither Mr. Rivero or the Argentinian’s camp responded, leaving no viable option but for SSE to terminate all discussions, regarding Chaves, and focus on other options available.
With the news breaking earlier today, that the WBA have now called for purse bids on March 11th for Malignaggi-Chaves, these options seem rather limited.
Even so, Showtime Sports Events promoter, Johnny Eames, remains relatively sanguine about the whole affair, saying,
“As much as we tried to get the Malignaggi-Chaves fight on, it seems this is now a non-starter.
It’s a month since we had Paulie Malignaggi agree to the fight, but for some reason Chaves’ people have decided they don’t want the fight on our show, even though the offer we made is much higher than Chaves has had for his previous fights.
It’s so disappointing, Chaves is the #1 contender to challenge for Paulie Malignaggi’s WBA title.
The WBA were happy for us to put it on, Golden Boy were happy for us to put it on, but it seems someone, probably not Chaves but someone in his camp, was holding out for more money because it’s in Abu Dhabi.
Either that or they had no intention of signing and were holding out for the WBA to order purse bids, so they can have the fight on home turf.
Either way, so it goes, they didn’t sign by yesterday and now we’re going to have to look elsewhere, hopefully though with Paulie Malignaggi still top of the bill, possibly against WBF World Champion Humberto Soto.
If it doesn’t work out that way, so be it and we’ll put Paulie on another of our shows later in the year, because he has been so easy to deal with and we don’t want him losing out on the big purse we offered him.”
Follow Showtime Sports Events Limited www.showtimesportsevents.com – Twitter: @ShowtimeBoxing – Facebook: ShowtimeSportsEvents
- July Draws with Graves; Vows for better showing in next bout
- Jordan Shimmell wins by TKO on the Golden Boy show in Chicago
- Pacquiao is back as he beats Bradley
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Pacquiao vs Bradley, Canelo vs Lara, and Bob Arum!!
- Video: Manuel Charr outworks Kevin Johnson over ten
- ‘The Master’ Masternak dominates in Denmark
- Andy Lee Wins Denmark Encounter
- Official Weigh-in Results for Hopkins-Shumenov
- Hopkins – Shumenov weigh-in livestream at 1pm ET
- Bernard Hopkins warns Shumenov ‘to get ready for school’
- Video: Crolla vs. Murray weigh-in
- Video: Quigg vs Munyai Weigh-In
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn “Showtime” Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- Showtime Tripleheader gives BHOP a chance to add more legend to his longevity