- Maidana: First I’m going to give Mayweather a beating, and then I’m going to KO him
- Anthony Joshua sparring with Wladimir to get him ready for Kubrat Pulev fight
- Maidana, Santa Cruz & Angulo quotes ahead of "Mayhem: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2"
- Maidana doubts Mayweather can improve from previous fight
- Roach: Algieri isn’t in Pacquiao’s class
- Golovkin vs. Rubio, October 18 at StubHub Center
- GOLDEN BOY PROMOTIONS, FOX SPORTS 1 AND FOX DEPORTES CELEBRATE THE ONE-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE GOLDEN BOY LIVE! SERIES
- WBO VISITS BOXING GYMS IN PUERTO RICO TO HAND OUT PREPAID CARDS TO STUDENT-BOXERS
- How World Champion Sindy Amador Developed her Love for the Sweet Science
- Joey Dawejko headlines on Friday, September 19 at Harrahs Philadelphia
- NEW TRAINER CONFIDENT IN MIKE JONES RETURN THIS SATURDAY
- Brook receives Lord Mayor’s welcome home on Friday
Bellew: Adonis Stevenson won’t last long as champion if I can help it
Now that Adonis Stevenson (21-1, 18 KO’s) has the WBC light heavyweight title after obliterating Chad Dawson in one round, Britain’s Tony Bellew, the #1 WBC 175 lb. contender, has come out of the woodwork and he wants his shot at Stevenson’s new WBC title and he likes his chances in beating the 35-year-old.
Bellew said to Sky Sports “He’s [Stevenson] the one I’d have preferred to face…it’s not going to last long…Adonis Stevenson is wild and gives you opportunities. So I don’t think he’s going to be a long-standing champion, especially if I’ve got anything to do with it.”
This is hilarious and a clear example of a pipe dream on Bellew’s part. I wish I could give him a chance at beating Stevenson, I really do, but I can’t help picturing Bellew walking out in the 1st round and getting pasted on the canvas with the first left hand that Stevenson throws. Bellew is so utterly hittable that it’s not even funny.
He’s just begging to be hit in grill with the way that he fight in such a straight up position. I honestly can’t see Bellew lasting more than a few rounds at best. He’ll have to play it safe if he doesn’t get knocked out immediately, and I’m not sure that would even work against a puncher like Stevenson.
Stevenson wants bigger game than Bellew. He said he wants to fight Andre Ward and/or Bernard Hopkins next. I’d like to see those fights much more than seeing Stevenson annihilate Bellew in one round. We already saw Stevenson destroy Dawson last Saturday. I want to see Stevenson against some good fighters that have a chance. Ward would be perfect against Stevenson.
However, there’s been no word at all from Ward since last Saturday night. He had to have heard Stevenson say he wants to fight him. I wonder what his thoughts about that fight? I rate Stevenson vs. Ward as a MUCH better fight than Ward vs. Carl Froch or Stevenson vs. Bellew. At least Stevenson has the power and speed to give Ward a lot of problems in theory.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Maidana throwing 100 punches per round in training for Mayweather
- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Kell Brook’s trainer doesn’t want him to take an easy fight on December 6th
- Is Canelo capable of taking the baton from Mayweather to become boxing’s next PPV star?
- Deontay Wilder not worried about Stiverne’s power
- Shannon Briggs vs. Cory Phelps this Saturday in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Hearn hinting Khan may need to be B-side against Brook