- Mayweather Vs. Maidana: Preview And Prediction
- The Pound-for-Pound Top 10
- Manny Pacquiao: good enough to compete, but should now retire
- Maidana doesn't have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Beibut Shumenov: Preview And Prediction
- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather's Power
- Browne v Bahoeli to be broadcast to Australia and across Asia
- Brandon Adams looks to stay undefeated with win over Gatica
- Frazer Clarke looking to make history in next week’s England Boxing National Finals
- McDonnell lands dream World title fight at Wembley
- Thompson Boxing Promotions Presents “Loaded” card featuring Efrain Esquivias, Giovani Santillan, & Jose Roman
- “The Fight Game With Jim Lampley” Debuts Saturday, April 19 on HBO
Bobby Hitz: I Will Not Shut Up, Fres Oquendo Deserves WBA Title Shot
Chicago Promoter Bobby Hitz refuses to take “no” for an answer regarding Fres Oquendo’s WBA heavyweight title shot against the Russian WBA Heavyweight Champion Alexander Povetkin.
“Yesterday, we put out a press release telling the truth, and today they are calling, begging us to tell a lie. But I’m not afraid to tell the world what is really going on,” said Hitz. “We were offered a heavyweight title fight against Povetkin a couple of weeks ago and we accepted Povetkin’s lowball offer because we know that Fres can knockout Povetkin. And it is absolutely true that Povetkin’s handlers informed us that they were going in a different direction, because after studying Fres they realized that Fres was too fast, too slick and too big a risk for Povetkin. Povetkin’s handlers told us themselves that they want an ‘easy’ opponent which is why they are now considering the unknown Polish fighter Andrzej Wawrzyk who has fought nobody.”
“After we put out our release, I got a call from a major boxing website saying that they were concerned that Povetkin’s promoter, Sauerland, would take action against them so they would not run the story. But truth is an absolute defense, so they can say or deny all they want, but here in the U.S., we have freedom of the press and I intend to exercise my God-given right,” Hitz continued.
“Today, I got a call from one of my associates that Povetkin’s handlers had called, begging me to shut up, that no decision had been made yet,” said Hitz.
“Well I am not shutting up because a decision was already made. We were offered the fight, we accepted the fight, we had Fres sign a bout agreement for the fight and now they are chickening out because they realize they made a mistake in choosing Fres and have admitted to us they want an ‘easy’ opponent.”
“I’m told that Roy Jones, Jr. is very popular and highly respected in Russia,” Hitz continued. “Well Roy Jones and I are the co-promoters of Oquendo, and we both guarantee that Povetkin vs. Oquendo will be a great fight. So we are calling upon all the boxing fans in Russia to rise up and stop this injustice and make Povetkin and his handlers live up to their word so they get a real fight, not a Polish joke.”
- July Draws with Graves; Vows for better showing in next bout
- Jordan Shimmell wins by TKO on the Golden Boy show in Chicago
- Pacquiao is back as he beats Bradley
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Pacquiao vs Bradley, Canelo vs Lara, and Bob Arum!!
- Video: Manuel Charr outworks Kevin Johnson over ten
- ‘The Master’ Masternak dominates in Denmark
- Andy Lee Wins Denmark Encounter
- Official Weigh-in Results for Hopkins-Shumenov
- Hopkins – Shumenov weigh-in livestream at 1pm ET
- Bernard Hopkins warns Shumenov ‘to get ready for school’
- Video: Crolla vs. Murray weigh-in
- Video: Quigg vs Munyai Weigh-In
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn “Showtime” Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- Showtime Tripleheader gives BHOP a chance to add more legend to his longevity