British Lionhearts take a lead to Mexico but face an uphill struggle to qualify for the semi-finals of the World Series of Boxing
THE BRITISH LIONHEARTS will face a strong Mexico Guerreros line-up when the two teams meet in the second leg of their World Series of Boxing quarter-final this Friday (29 March 2013) in Mexico City.
Despite leading 4-1 from the first leg, the Lionhearts face a stiff test to reach the semi-finals as the match will be held at an altitude of 2,420 metres (7,940ft) against a Mexican team featuring three of the top-ranked boxers in the competition.
Middleweight, Marvin Cabrera, and bantamweight, Elias Emigdio, are ranked second in their respective weight categories in this season of World Series Boxing and Gerardo Bisbal is the number three ranked heavyweight.
The Lionhearts team features 2010 Commonwealth Games Champion, Sean McGoldrick, who has three wins from four away bouts in the World Series Boxing and fellow GB Boxing squad member, lightweight, Sam Maxwell. They will compete alongside international selections Kaupo Arro at middleweight, light-heavyweight, Babacar Kamara, and heavyweight, Uaine Fa.
“The team has been in Mexico City for over a week now in a bid to acclimatize however there is no doubt that boxing at nearly 8,000 feet is going to make this an extremely tough assignment for the Lionhearts,” explained Matt Archibald, General Manager of the British Lionhearts.
“The boxers that competed in the home leg did very well to give the team a good lead but as we have seen throughout the competition, the away matches are very tough in the World Series of Boxing so there is still a long way to go in this tie.”
The permutations for the second leg mean the Guerreros will progress to the semi-finals if they win 5-0. A 4-1 victory for the Mexico team will lead to a box-off at light heavyweight. Any other score will see the Lionhearts progress into the semis.
The match can be watched live at http://www.youtube.com/user/WorldSeriesBoxing from 03.00 in the morning on Saturday 30 March 2013.
- Group A, Week 3: Will the Thunder ground the Eagles?
- Malingaggi vs. Judah & Trout vs. Lara: Four highly skilled fighters two 50-50 fights
- Liam Cullen Interview
- Enzo Maccarinelli faces Courtney Fry on Saturday
- Malignaggi eyes Broner rematch as he takes on ‘explosive’ Judah in intense ‘derby
- Rigondeaux vs. Agbeko & Tapia vs. Kirkland: Return of the 122 King and a classic prospect versus vet matchup
- “The Prince and the Pauper” are threatened by loss of identity
- Ivan Pereyra Wins WBF Intercontinental Title In Mexico
- Boyd Melson dominates King in Gotham City!
- Broadway Boxing: Melson Beats King, Rosa Handles Wilson Easily
- Australian Boxing: Zac Dunn Stops Marlon Alta in Five
- Jeff Lacy Returns With Third Round Stoppage
- Travis Kauffman dismantles Barnett in the first round
- Nothing Spoiled in Quebec: Stevenson and Kovalev are Victorious