- Canelo stops Angulo in 10th; Santa Cruz defeats Mijares
- "Toe to Toe": Alfredo "El Perro" Angulo vs Saul "Canelo" Alvarez - Keys to Victory, Four to Explore, & Official Prediction
- Canelo Alvarez Impresses In Controversial TKO Victory Over Alfredo Angulo, Saturday on SHOWTIME PPV
- Hunter: Angulo was coming on strong against Canelo at time of stoppage
- Floyd "Money" Mayweather Opening Press Conference Quotes & Photo From Mgm Grand In Las Vegas
- Canelo with huge advantage over Angulo in punch stats
- Cotto vs. Martinez: Saturday, June 7 Presented Live by HBO Pay-Per-View
- Zhang Zhilei Quotables
- ZHANG ZHILEI Bio – Chinese Olympic Silver Medalist Signs with Duva’s Dynasty Boxing
- Chicago Phenoms Kenneth Sims Jr. and Eduardo Martinez Speak on Making Their Pro Debuts
- Fight Report – Martin steals the show as Turner and McIntyre Add Further Titles
- M-1 Global light heavyweight title fight Friday headlines M-1 Challenge 46
Brook – Senchenko Tops Four Fight Card This Saturday
This Saturday afternoon a very important Welterweight bout will take place as IBF number-one ranked Kell Brook (30-0, 20 KO’s) will take on number-eight ranked and former WBA Welterweight champion, Vyacheslav Senchenko (34-1, 23 KO’s)
The 12 round elimination bout will top a terrific four bout card that will be televised on AWE and www.awetv.com beginning at 3pm eastern / 12 noon pacific.
The fight card will take place at the Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield, England.
Also appearing on the telecast will be the 2nd professional outing of 2012 Olympic gold medal winner in heavyweight Anthony Joshua (1-0, 1 KO) as well as a very important WBO Jr. Middleweight
elimination bout between number-four ranked Brian Rose (24-1, 7 KO’s) and number-five Javier Maciel (27-2, 20 KO’s)
The card will begin with a 10 round IBF Youth Jr. Middleweight bout between a pair of undefeated fighters in Adam Etches (12-0, 10 KO’s) and Alexandre Mendes (10-0, 9 KO’s)
“This is a stacked card from top to bottom”, said AWE CEO Charles Herring.
“Brook and Senchenko is a very important fight. Brook was supposed to fight for the world title on three different occasions as now he is taking a huge risk in fighting a former world champion as well as a man who just knocked out the biggest hero in British boxing. Fans will also get a treat in seeing Anthony Joshua who many are predicting great things for in the future plus Rose and Maciel is a fight with huge implications.”
“These are the type of events we are looking to bring to AWE and this promises to be a great afternoon of boxing.”
Brook, who will be fighting in front of his hometown fans has a record of 30-0 with 20 knockouts. The 27 year old was scheduled to fight Devon Alexander on three different occasions in the last ten months had to have his world title dreams put on temporarily hold as injuries to both men forced the postponement of the fight.
When he was ready to return, Brook was back in July with a 8th round stoppage over contender Carson Jones.
“I’m fit and healthy now, loving life and loving boxing”, said Brook.
Senchenko will pose a huge challenge from Brook as the man from Ukraine is coming off the shocking knockout over Ricky Hatton last November.
Bigger and better are certainly two words to describe Senchenko. The former WBO king is back in England after spoiling Ricky Hatton’s comeback fight in November with a 9th round stoppage in Manchester. His devilish body shot ended the career of the Manchester legend and Brook expects the Ukranian to bring the best out of him on Saturday.
“I want to do a demolition job on him, put on a great performance and really have fun in my hometown”, said Brook.
“He has been over here to promote the fight and that shows he is confident and coming to win ans get a 2nd shot at a world title. He has a good amateur background and he has a swagger. It’s a whole different story getting in there with me.“
“I have been in contact with Ricky Hatton and he has told me his thoughts on how to approach the fight. I need to make a statement and its going to be an epic night.“
The carrot dangled for the man who does the business is a world title shot.
“He is a world class fighter who only loss is because of a cut. He proved he deserved to be at the top. We didn’t need this fight. I am number-one by the IBF and I wanted to take it.”
“I had a feeling I would get more fights in England after the Hatton fight”, said Senchenko.
“Everything in this fight is different for this fight. The styles, the aspirations. Kell is a very good opponent.“
“If I beat him, I am worthy of a world title shot. I needed the big non title fights before going for a world title again and that’s exactly what this fight is.“
“I have prepared for Kell in the same manner as I did for Ricky. I have known about him for many years and he’s been in with with good fighters but I am the best he has faced.“
“After losing my title, I have 2 KO wins and I am still a lively contender.“
Says Ricky Hatton, “Senchenko is a lot tougher than he looks. He is a tall boxer-type but he is not a skillful boxer. Kell is a really good boxer and Paulie showed he can be outboxed.”
On the undercard, Joshua will be looking for his second pro win after thrilling the crowd in London when he destroyed Emanuele Leo in one round earlier this month.
“You only have one pro debut and I ended it in spectacular fashion.”, said Joshua.
Joshua’s rise to Olympic gold was rapid and he knows he has plenty of work to get acclimated to the pro game.
“I was straight back in the gym learning because this game is tough. I want to improve and give it my best. Every time I step in the ring its like the Olympic final.”
His opponent Paul Butlin has been in with world title challengers Dereck Chisora and Albert Sosnowski and has been a pro for 11 years.
Rose now faces his toughest foe to date in Maciel.
“I have never been in with anybody as good a record as Javier Maciel”, said Rose
“We both deserve the shot. It’s a 50/50 fight but its in my own backyard. I will be taking a lot of fans and I am sure Kell Brook’s fans will be behind me. I don’t think he has boxed anyone of the caliber of me.
Maciel of Argentina has just 32 bouts and turned pro in 2007. He fought Dmitry Pirog for the WBO Middleweight title and came up shot and a win over Rose will earn him his second title opportunity. Maciel trained in Las Vegas under the tutelage of Miguel Diaz and has been sparring with Mike Jones and Carlos De Leon Jr.
“I have seen videos of Rose. He is a good boxer and compact. It’s going to be a difficult fight but I
will bring it to him and win.”
“This weight is better for me.“
The network is currently available nationally on Verizon FiOS TV channel 169 and 669 in HD, AT&T U-Verse TV channels 470 and 1470 in HD, along with over 100 cable systems across the country and worldwide. The new website for AWE is www.AWEtv.com.
- Canelo stops Angulo in 10th; Santa Cruz defeats Mijares
- Rustam Nugaev and Roman Morales Victorious on ESPN Friday Night Fights
- Disappointment For Marston, Prince Reigns Supreme, Sensational Ozgul Bros roll on
- Hardy & Paddock Claim Titles in Bumper Night of Boxing Action
- Acourtier ‘Warzone’ Event Review
- Thompson Boxing Promotions “New Blood” Results: Carlson Wins WBC Latino 118 lb. Title
- DeGale defeats Khatchikian in a surprisingly competitive fight
- Cotto vs. Martinez Puerto Rico Press Conference
- Randy Petalcorin: “I’m here to win a world title”
- Froch-Groves meet at Wembley press conference ahead of rematch – 60,000 tickets gone in an hour!
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Canelo vs Angulo, Santa Cruz, Rigondeaux, and Tony Weeks!
- Danny Garcia and Mauricio Herrera media conference call transcript
- Manny Pacquiao Arrives at LAX / USA
- “Canelo Alvarez, Alfredo Angulo, Floyd Mayweather Jr, and Marcos Maidana” edition of “The Pugilist KOrner’s: Weekend Wrap”