- SADAM ALI, ANTHONY PETERSON, MARCUS BROWNE AND SEVERAL HOT PROSPECTS TAKE TO THE RING AUG. 9
- LAMONT PETERSON, ANTHONY PETERSON AND D’MITRIUS BALLARD WASHINGTON D.C. MEDIA WORKOUT QUOTES
- MANUEL “TINO” AVILA RETURNS HOME AGAINST UNBEATEN JUNIOR FEATHERWEIGHT SERGIO FRIAS ON FOX SPORTS 1 AND FOX DEPORTES’ GOLDEN BOY LIVE! SERIES FRIDAY, AUGUST 22
- Rod Salka, Edgar Santana & Jarrod Fletcher Relish Chance To Shock The World On Aug. 9 At Barclays Center
- Harley Davidson San Diego to hold Thompson Boxing Promotions “Path to Glory SD Style” Aug. 16
- Sergio “Yeyo” Thompson has the opportunity to put himself back in line for a world title shot on Saturday
Cam F. Awesome Advances in 2013 Elite Men’s World Championships Action
(COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO.) – Team USA’s smallest and largest athletes both took the ring for their opening bouts of 2013 Elite Men’s World Championships action on Saturday in Almaty, Kazakhstan and the pair went one and one on the day. Super heavyweight Cam F. Awesome (Lenexa, Kansas) is the lone member of the United States’ squad to have competed in World Championships action prior to the 2013 event, and he used that experienced to his benefit in his tournament opener on Saturday. Light flyweight Leroy Davila (New Brunswick, N.J.) didn’t have the same success as Awesome in his first World Championships bout on Saturday afternoon.
Awesome was the final U.S. boxer to compete in his first bout of the tournament in Almaty, facing off with Argentina’s Facundo Ghiglione in super heavyweight action. The vegan breast cancer advocate made sure his opening bout was a successful one, winning a unanimous decision victory over Ghiglione in their preliminary round match-up. The victory moves him on to a Tuesday match-up with number one seed Magomedrasul Medzhidov of Azerbaijan.
Davila battled North Korea’s Chung Ri in his World Championships debut earlier in the afternoon session. Ri took a 3-0 decision over Davila in the light flyweight contest, eliminating him from the tournament.
Lightweight Kenneth Sims, Jr. (Chicago, Ill.) will take the ring for his second round contest on Sunday evening in a showdown with number two seed Fazliddin Gaibnazarov of Uzbekistan.
Over 450 boxers from 100 nations are competing in the 2013 Elite Men’s World Championships in Almaty, Kazakhstan with preliminary round action running through October 22. Quarterfinal competition will take place on October 23 followed by a rest day for all competitors on October 24. Semifinal round action will be contested on October 25 and the event will conclude with championship round bouts in all 10 weight divisions on October 26.
The Elite Men’s World Championships take place every two years and the 2013 edition is the first since the 2012 Olympic Games in London. Live scoring for the event can be found on the AIBA website at www.aiba.org.
Ed Rivas (San Antonio, Texas), Kenneth Sims, Sr. (Chicago, Ill.), Kevin Benford (Cincinnati, Ohio), Edward “Mike” Murphy (Port Jeff Station, N.Y.), Jose Alday, Sr. (Odessa, Texas), and Todd Harlib (Cape Coral, Fla.) are serving as the staff for the event with Dr. Tony Al-Amin (Philadelphia, Pa.) working as the Team Physician.
108 lbs: Chung Ri, PRK, dec. Leroy Davila, New Brunswick, N.J./USA, 3-0
201+ lbs: Cam F. Awesome, Lenexa, Kansas/USA dec. Facundo Ghiglione, ARG, 3-0
USA Boxing, as the national governing body for Olympic-style boxing, is the United States’ member organization of the International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) and a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC).
- Damien Hooper beats Casey
- German commission (BDB) changes result: Hammer vs. Mathis a “no contest”
- Carlos Carlson Retains WBC Latino Bantamweight Title at “Locked n Loaded” Ontario, CA
- Dusty Hernandez-Harrison Dominates At Madison Square Garden
- GGG – a modest definition of danger?
- Gennady Golovkin – The Real Deal Destroys Daniel “The Real Deal” Geale
- Bryant Jennings Gets Title Shot With Victory; Geale Loses in Spirited Effort
- Kovalev-Caparello Final Press Conference Quotes
- Wladimir Klitschko and Kubrat Pulev sell out the O2 Arena in Hamburg, Germany
- Austin Trout: “I’m ready to get back to the top.”
- Live Stream: Kovalev vs. Caparello Final Press Conference
- Flaws of Boxing
- Video: Bundu vs Gavin, Browne vs Rudenko Weigh-In
- Hatton says Browne could fight Tyson Fury…