- ESPN: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alex Leapai on April 26 Bermane Stiverne vs. Chris Arreola May 10
- Countdown to "The Moment: Mayweather vs. Maidana"
- Mayweather Is Protecting The Throne
- Tyson Fury joins British Eurosport's studio for Klitschko/Leapai fight
- Alex Leapai-Wladimir Klitschko preview
- Maidana: "I don't care about titles, all I want to do is beat Mayweather"
- Quigley Comes Home – From Hollywood To Liverpool
- Averlant vs. Sahin: WBF World Championship May 7
- WSB: Cuba lead Russia after first semi-final
- Erislandy Lara to Attend 25th Anniversary Billboard Latin Music Conference
- IMAM vs. UGAS Co-Main Added to May 10 USC Galen Center ESPN Event
- Full Undercard for Golden Boy Live! event in Puerto Rico announced
Canelo to fight on May 4th, possible opponents Angulo, Kirkland or Trout
By Jeff Sorby: It was confirmed by Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer on Tuesday that WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo”Alvarez will be fighting on the same card as Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 4th at the MGM Grand, but not against Mayweather. According to the LA Times, Canelo will face one of the following fighters: Alfredo Angulo, James Kirkland or Austin Trout.
Schaefer isn’t mentioning who the leading candidate is for the fight but the fact that Angulo and Kirkland are both Golden Boy fighters would seem to suggest that one of those two will ultimately get the fight with Canelo. Schaefer hasn’t seemed all that interested in a Trout-Canelo fight when asked about it in the media. He feels that Trout hasn’t done enough yet for the fight, although if Angulo or Kirkland is selected, you have to wonder exactly they’ve done in their careers to get the fight.
If Trout doesn’t get the fight with Canelo then you have to figure that Angulo will be the one that gets selected because he’s Mexican and the fight is taking place on Cinco de Mayo, the Mexican holiday. It makes more sense for two Mexican fighters to be facing each other than Canelo fighting Kirkland. I think Golden Boy will be thinking about these kinds of things because they want to make sure that they can get a lot of Mexican fans to purchase the pay per view card.
Trout is obviously a much better fighter than Angulo but he’s also more dangerous for Canelo, and Golden Boy probably will do what they have to do in order to keep Canelo winning long enough for him to get a big money fight with Mayweather.
With Canelo fighting on May 4th, it’s possible that Golden Boy was able to get an agreement from Mayweather to fight Canelo in September. There’s talk that Canelo wasn’t going to agree to fight on the Mayweather undercard on May 4th unless he was given a guaranteed fight with Mayweather in September.
- Bernard Hopkins Historic Return to DC
- Adams and Monroe Jr. win and earn spots in Boxcino Middleweight final
- Clayton Defends WBF World Title In Madani Rematch
- Shawn “Showtime” Porter steals the show in DC!
- Page dominates Spearman for UBF All-Americas Title
- Porter Stops Malignaggi; Quillin Beats Konecny
- Bernard Hopkins Outpoints Beibut Shumenov
- Video: Browne vs Bahoeli this Saturday
- Adrien “The Problem” Broner Holds Media Workout—Photos and More!
- Is this Golden Boy/Showtime Tripleheader entertaining matchmaking or mismatches on premium cable?
- Final Presser Quotes – Thurman, Diaz, Matthysse, Molina, Figueroa & More
- Adrien Broner – Washington D.C quotes
- Omar Figueroa Vs. Jerry Belmontes: Two Fighters With A History
- Carl Froch and George Groves will come face-to-face again on May 1 on Sky Sports