- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Is Canelo capable of taking the baton from Mayweather to become boxing’s next PPV star?
- Maidana throwing 100 punches per round in training for Mayweather
- Deontay Wilder not worried about Stiverne’s power
- Maidana, Santa Cruz & Angulo quotes ahead of "Mayhem: Mayweather vs. Maidana 2"
- Golovkin with chance to become Cotto’s WBC mandatory if he beats Rubio
- Kiwitt Back On Home Soil
- Frankie De Alba Headlines on Saturday, October 4 at Valley Forge Casino & Resort
- Undefeated Mexican Future Stars In WBF Title Fights
- STALKER TO FACE JENKINS IN BRITISH TITLE ELIMINATOR ON MAGNIFICENT SEVEN CARD
- Heavyweight hopeful Otto Wallin returns on August 30
- Philippine Supreme Court issues temporary restraining order in Manny Pacquiao tax case
Canelo to fight on May 4th, possible opponents Angulo, Kirkland or Trout
By Jeff Sorby: It was confirmed by Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer on Tuesday that WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo”Alvarez will be fighting on the same card as Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 4th at the MGM Grand, but not against Mayweather. According to the LA Times, Canelo will face one of the following fighters: Alfredo Angulo, James Kirkland or Austin Trout.
Schaefer isn’t mentioning who the leading candidate is for the fight but the fact that Angulo and Kirkland are both Golden Boy fighters would seem to suggest that one of those two will ultimately get the fight with Canelo. Schaefer hasn’t seemed all that interested in a Trout-Canelo fight when asked about it in the media. He feels that Trout hasn’t done enough yet for the fight, although if Angulo or Kirkland is selected, you have to wonder exactly they’ve done in their careers to get the fight.
If Trout doesn’t get the fight with Canelo then you have to figure that Angulo will be the one that gets selected because he’s Mexican and the fight is taking place on Cinco de Mayo, the Mexican holiday. It makes more sense for two Mexican fighters to be facing each other than Canelo fighting Kirkland. I think Golden Boy will be thinking about these kinds of things because they want to make sure that they can get a lot of Mexican fans to purchase the pay per view card.
Trout is obviously a much better fighter than Angulo but he’s also more dangerous for Canelo, and Golden Boy probably will do what they have to do in order to keep Canelo winning long enough for him to get a big money fight with Mayweather.
With Canelo fighting on May 4th, it’s possible that Golden Boy was able to get an agreement from Mayweather to fight Canelo in September. There’s talk that Canelo wasn’t going to agree to fight on the Mayweather undercard on May 4th unless he was given a guaranteed fight with Mayweather in September.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Ricky Burns looking for 3rd division world title at 140 in 2015
- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri’s talent level
- Brandon Rios vs. Ruslan Provodnikov in the works for November
- Alfredo Angulo not worried about September 13th fight against De La Rosa
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent