- Mayweather Vs. Maidana: Preview And Prediction
- The Pound-for-Pound Top 10
- Manny Pacquiao: good enough to compete, but should now retire
- Maidana doesn't have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Beibut Shumenov: Preview And Prediction
- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather's Power
- Browne v Bahoeli to be broadcast to Australia and across Asia
- Brandon Adams looks to stay undefeated with win over Gatica
- Frazer Clarke looking to make history in next week’s England Boxing National Finals
- McDonnell lands dream World title fight at Wembley
- Thompson Boxing Promotions Presents “Loaded” card featuring Efrain Esquivias, Giovani Santillan, & Jose Roman
- “The Fight Game With Jim Lampley” Debuts Saturday, April 19 on HBO
Bobby Gunn vs. Glen Johnson for WBU Cruiserweight World Championship Dec 18th
(Atlanta, Georgia, USA) (4 December 2013)- Don “Moose” Lewis, President of the World Boxing Union, Inc., known as “the WBU”, proudly announces that on the evening of Wednesday, 18th December 2013 at the fabulous Sands Casino in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, two (2) former world champions – Glen ‘Road Warrior’ Johnson and Bobby ‘Celtic Warrior’ Gunn – face off for the vacant WBU Cruiserweight World title.
The late change of opponent for Bobby Gunn, who was originally due to face Roy Jones Jr., came about after Jones Jr. announced yesterday that instead he was going to fight Zine Eddine Benmakhlouf in Russia on the 21st December.
In light of the incredibly unprofessional actions by Jones Jr’s team, and of course Glen Johnson’s willingness to step in at such late notice to save the show, Mr. Lewis made the following statement.
“What a bizarre escapade, we have all not only witnessed but participated in over the last thirty (30) days regarding this title fight.
Bobby Gunn versus Roy Jones has been the talk of the holiday season both here in the USA, as well in Europe where our UK office has been bombarded with requests for press credentials.
We all looked forward to this matchup, yet the paperwork could not get completed from the Jones camp.
I could not understand it, that is until I received correspondence from the law firm Delahunt Solicitors in Dublin, Ireland informing me that Irish boxer Steve Collins had an arrangement to fight Roy Jones for the WBU World title!
I immediately investigated and to my surprise both Mr. Collins and Mr. Jones had indeed agreed to fight for a group calling themselves ‘WBU V’ for the title with the understanding that it was the legitimately recognized WBU here in the states!
Thus Mr. Collins’s legal counsel is moving to protect Mr. Collins position and interests regarding the harm caused by action of Mr. Jones.
On the positive side, not only do we not have to be concerned about legal action stopping the fight but Mr. Collins and his legal counsel have requested through Mr. Gianluca Di Caro, Managing Director of our WBU-Europe to fight the winner of the Gunn-Jones Jr. world recognized WBU Cruiserweight World Championship and such request has been granted.
Now to our surprise, Mr. Jones announces less than twenty-four (24) hours after withdrawing from the fight with Mr. Gunn that he is now again going to fight in Russia for the rogue WBU V against Frenchman Zine Eddine Benmakhlouf.
Of course, that may change since there are two (2) weeks before the event. Anyway, in this business it is sometimes better to be lucky than talented.
This sums up our feeling of the former world Glen “the Road Warrior” Johnson stepping up once again with limited notice to fight Mr. Gunn.
Imagine, we now have the three (3) time world champion and the man who KOed Roy Jones, Jr. replacing Jones himself!
What a great night for both “Warriors” this will be and a sure candidate for worldwide “Fight of the Year”.
I thank the Sands Casino for their patience in working this matter out and I can think of no better Christmas present than to be watching this historic event with so much at stake.”
Bobby ‘Celtic Warrior’ Gunn versus Glen ‘Road Warrior’ Johnson, for the vacant World Boxing Union (WBU) World Cruiserweight title, will take place at the Sands Casino in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, on Wednesday 18th December 2013.
- July Draws with Graves; Vows for better showing in next bout
- Jordan Shimmell wins by TKO on the Golden Boy show in Chicago
- Pacquiao is back as he beats Bradley
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Pacquiao vs Bradley, Canelo vs Lara, and Bob Arum!!
- Video: Manuel Charr outworks Kevin Johnson over ten
- ‘The Master’ Masternak dominates in Denmark
- Andy Lee Wins Denmark Encounter
- Official Weigh-in Results for Hopkins-Shumenov
- Hopkins – Shumenov weigh-in livestream at 1pm ET
- Bernard Hopkins warns Shumenov ‘to get ready for school’
- Video: Crolla vs. Murray weigh-in
- Video: Quigg vs Munyai Weigh-In
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn “Showtime” Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- Showtime Tripleheader gives BHOP a chance to add more legend to his longevity