Solis, Aydin Press Conference, Ruslan Chagaev added to Berlin card
Ruslan Chagaev added to big Eurosport card this Friday at Universal Hall
Cuban 2004 Olympic gold medalist and former world heavyweight championship contender Odlanier Solis (18-1, 12 KOs) and former WBC Silver welterweight champion Selcuk Aydin (23-2, 17 KOs) held a press conference in Berlin, Germany, talking about their upcoming bouts at “Universal Hall” this Friday (March 22nd).
“It feels good to be back in Germany”, said Solis. “I started my pro career over here and still have lots of friends in Berlin. In my last fight in Germany I suffered a bad injury when challenging Vitali Klitschko. But now me knee is well again. I am ready to go and want to prove that I am the best heavyweight fighter in the world.” Asked when he thinks he would be ready for another shot at the world title, the Cuban defector just smiled and said: “Ask the Klitschkos. I’m ready when they are.” Solis will face unbeaten Norwegian tough guy Leif Larsen (17-0, 14 KOs).
In the co-feature Turkish knockout artist Selcuk Aydin takes on Italian veteran Giuseppe Lauri (53-11, 31 KOs). Just like Solis Aydin is returning to Germany where he gave his pro debut over six years ago. It is his first fight after losing two in a row in the United States to Robert Guerrero and Jesus Soto Karass. “It was a close fight against Guerrero which I could have won if it hadn’t been in his backyard. But that’s the business. Now he is fighting Floyd Mayweather and I am back in Berlin. I want to fight my way back to the top and I will prove on Friday that these two losses didn’t break me.”
Promoter Ahmet Oner is excited to present such an excellent card in Germany. “Solis and Aydin are world class fighters. They are in good match-ups as well. This is an excellent card for Eurosport. Not a lot of promoters can bring elite fighters like this to Europe. It’s a restart for both of them. They have to show that they belong to the top. I’m looking forward to a great show.”
The card got even better when former world heavyweight champion Ruslan Chagaev (30-2-1, 19 KOs) was added at the press conference. The 34-year-old contender from Uzbekistan takes on US journeyman Mike Sheppard (20-14-1, 9 KOs).
The show will be broadcasted live on Eurosport starting at 9pm German time on Friday night.
- Michael Jennings: “Matty can’t think past his next fight”
- Price’s ring-return delayed by virus
- Lionell Thompson plans to destroy Ryan Coyne Saturday in Atlantic City
- Local Stars Triumph In WBF Title Fights
- “Malignaggi, Rigondeaux, Sturm, Lara, Porter, and Kirkland” edition of “The Pugilist KOrner’s: Weekend Wrap”
- Robert Stieglitz vs Arthur Abraham III Official: March 1st in Magdeburg
- Video: All Access: Broner vs. Maidana – Full Episode
- Thrill-a-minute slugger James Kirkland is BACK!
- Dazzling Darren Barker fails to weather the Sturm; Post Fight Video Interviews
- Sakio Bika Draws With Anthony Dirrell: Retains WBC 168 lb Strap
- Malignaggi defeats Judah, wants Broner-Maidana winner
- Rigondeaux dominates Agbeko; Macklin defeats Russ; Kirkland stops Tapia
- Malignaggi decisions Judah; Porter defeats Alexander; Lara beats Trout
- Italy 4-1 Germany: Team Deutschland crushed