- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Canelo vs Angulo, Santa Cruz, Rigondeaux, and Tony Weeks!
- Froch-Groves meet at Wembley press conference ahead of rematch - 60,000 tickets gone in an hour!
- Canelo vs. Angulo: We Didn't Learn Anything New
- Will Miguel Cotto vs. Sergio Martinez Decide Canelo's Next Rival?
- Carl Froch: The Reluctant Warrior
- Hunter: Angulo was coming on strong against Canelo at time of stoppage
- ESPN Thursday Night Fights at ‘The World’s Most Beautiful Race Course’
- Bryant and Santiago set to tangle Friday night at the Hamilton Manor!!
- CANADIAN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP GEORGE CHUVALO SET FOR 2014 HALL OF FAME WEEKEND
- Friday is time to shine for M-1 Global light heavyweight champion Viktor Nemkov
- WARREN WINS SAUNDERS-BLANDAMURA PURSE BIDS
- Bruno Escalante to defend IBA Super Flyweight Title against Victor Ruiz April 5
Day 1: Canelo-Trout Fight Week — Media Workouts, Exclusive Gallery and Quotes
The state of Texas is once again on the boxing spotlight: Saul Alvarez VS Austin Trout fight week has finally arrived in San Antonio, TX!
Although the fighters have been in the city for a few days already, the events that are open to the public and the media officially started this Wednesday 04/17/13. Day 1 featured public workouts from the main fighters on the card: Abner Cotto, Jermall Charlo, Raul Martinez, Austin Trout, Omar Figueroa, Jr. and Saul Alvarez. Even though the activities were taking place during a cloudy afternoon with no sunshine at all and vague mists of rain, the weather did not stop the fans from coming out and showing their support and excitement!
The fighters showcased some of their workout drills, routines and shadowboxing right in front of the historic Alamo monument in downtown San Antonio, TX. WBA Welterweight Champion Paulie “Magic Man” Malignaggi was at hand to lead the event along with Jesse James Leija, a fantastic live band and mariachi group. I had the privilege to capture quotes and visuals from the event.
“Let’s stick together and unite as one. Everybody put your prayers together.” (referring to the tragedies of the Boston Marathon a few days ago)
“Saturday we’re going to have a great fight. You’re going to see nothing but the best we are. It’s what ya’ll deserve. Thank you guys again!”
“I prepared myself very well because I know I have a big responsibility with you all to continue bringing victories.”
“Believe me. I prepared very well to leave that night with my hand raised high. I hope you all enjoy that victory together with me. Thank you all. See you Saturday.”
Jesse James Leija
“Chavez, Jr. brought in 15,000 fans for his past fight here in San Antonio. Canelo is bringing in over 30,000.”
Abner Cotto was the first to take the ring followed by Houston, TX local star Jermall Charlo and then Raul Martinez.
The crowd showed increased enthusiasm when Austin Trout partook in shadowboxing as well as mitt work with his head trainer. However, the excitement was topped by the crowd’s reaction when Canelo made his appearance. No surprise there as San Antonio is definitely be a pro-Canelo town with its diverse Latin American population. Even though Alvarez did not partake in any workout activities, he did address the crowd and was available for interviews.
Day 2 of fight week will continue on Thursday. Exclusive coverage of the final press conference will be provided. More to come!
- Canelo stops Angulo in 10th; Santa Cruz defeats Mijares
- Rustam Nugaev and Roman Morales Victorious on ESPN Friday Night Fights
- Disappointment For Marston, Prince Reigns Supreme, Sensational Ozgul Bros roll on
- Hardy & Paddock Claim Titles in Bumper Night of Boxing Action
- Acourtier ‘Warzone’ Event Review
- Thompson Boxing Promotions “New Blood” Results: Carlson Wins WBC Latino 118 lb. Title
- DeGale defeats Khatchikian in a surprisingly competitive fight
- Andre Berto Cleared by Physician for Light Sparring, to Begin Full Contact in Mid-April
- Scouting Report for Saturday’s Adamek-Glazkov Fight on NBCSN Fight Night
- Huck fractures thumb, March 29th show cancelled
- Carl Froch: The Reluctant Warrior
- WBO no.4 rated Maxwell Awuku seeks Mikey Garcia fight
- Canelo vs. Angulo: We Didn’t Learn Anything New
- Will Miguel Cotto vs. Sergio Martinez Decide Canelo’s Next Rival?