- Lennox Clarke Spars Callum Smith
- Beamen Ready to Rule!
- Sampson Boxing Reaches Promotional Agreement with Canada’s Tyson Cave
- Joey Dawejko scores 2nd consecutive 1st round knockout
- Heavyweight Prospect LaRon Mitchell Signs w/ Thompson Boxing; Fights this Friday on “Path to Glory”
- “Bad” Chad Dawson returns to Foxwoods resort casino on October 4th
Dmitriy Salita attends 50th Anniversary celebration of Dr. King’s “Dream” speech
On Tuesday, January 22nd, many performers and community leaders gathered at the Gem Theater in Detroit, Michigan, to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King’s iconic “I Have a Dream” speech. The special celebration consisted of a concert and special award ceremony that was highlighted by keynote speaker and civil rights activist Dr. Clarence B. Jones.
Because of boxing’s unique role in the American Civil Rights movement, the sport was appropriately represented by Welterweight contender Dmitriy Salita and trainer Javan “Sugar” Hill.
The Ukrainian born pugilist commented on the singular event and how Dr. King’s vision impacted the current climate of American society.
“It was a true honor to attend such an historic event with my trainer and friend Javan “Sugar” Hill,” expounded Dmitriy Salita. “It was a great occasion for the city of Detroit, celebrating their role in shaping the eventual ‘March on Washington’ of August, 1963. It was a very special gathering.”
Dr. King’s speech at the ‘Great March on Detroit’ in June of 1963 was a major component and precursor for the world renowned ‘I Have a Dream’ speech take took place just two months later in Washington D.C. Half a century ago, the great civil rights leader stood before a wave of 25,000 people at Cobo Hall in Detroit, Michigan and delivered his time honored message of civil unity.
“It was a real privilege to meet Dr. Clarence B. Jones, who directly worked with Dr. Martin Luther King in developing the eventual ‘I Have a Dream’ speech. It has been a very special and gratifying experience to be a part of the Detroit community for the past three years. I have developed an immense respect and sincere affection for the great people of Detroit.”
“Speaking as an immigrant and minority in American society, I believe that Dr. King’s powerful vision has been largely fulfilled. The fact that I can proudly walk the streets of this country wearing a Yakima, while feeling genuinely accepted is a testament to this.”
“The civil rights movement that was championed by Dr. King is a vision for all citizens of every ethnic, spiritual, and social background to embrace, and it’s very important for every member of society to reflect on the importance of Dr. King’s role in shaping the current social climate in America.”
Mr. Salita is currently training in Detroit, Michigan, in preparation for his February 9th bout with Hector Camacho Jr, which is slated to take place in Brooklyn, New York, at Barclays Center. The talented boxer/puncher has been working meticulously with trainer “Sugar” Hill and many of the gifted fighters who have previously trained at the world renowned Kronk Gym.
“I am very thankful to be a part of this great event in Brooklyn, and am also grateful for this opportunity to further my dream of becoming a world champion. I know that Hector Camacho Jr. will be focused and prepared for this crucial fight, so it is imperative that I give this entire training camp my best effort.”
“I will be ready for the best version of Hector Camacho Jr on fight night. I must be successful on February 9th”
The Dmitriy Salita vs. Hector Camacho Jr., “Battle of the Boroughs” special attraction, will be one of eight incredible fights on the February 9th bout sheet at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
The talent enriched fight card will be headlined by “Danny Garcia vs. Zab Judah”, a 12-round title bout for Garcia’s Unified Junior Welterweight World Championship, and is presented by Golden Boy Promotions.
The SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING telecast begins live at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast). Preliminary fights will air live on SHOWTIME EXTREME®.
Tickets, priced at $206, $106, and $56, are on sale now and are available for purchase at WWW.DSALITA.COM , or by calling 646-481-5558.
20% Group Discount is available for 10 tickets or more.
email@example.com or 646-481-5558
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- Wizardry: Palacios overcomes layoff to dominate Mendoza!
- Chuy Gutierrez wins first title Saturday in Las Vegas
- Groves back with a unanimous decision verdict to claim European crown and WBC mandatory position
- Dargan & Mchunu Walk Away With NABF Titles
- Groves defeats Rebrasse, now WBC mandatory for Dirrell
- Cletus Seldin blasts out Gil!
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Mayweather Promotions, Alex Ariza, Manny Pacquiao & More!!!
- Rick Glaser talks Mayweather/Maidana
- Tyson Fury Restrained By Tape, Chisora Vows Ko Win
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- The Return of the Saint
- Khan could be next for Mayweather, says Floyd Sr
- Groves asks Froch for fight, and gets turned down