- Back at home Chris Algieri's whirlwind continues
- Bermane Stiverne Interview: The WBC Heavyweight Champion Speaks Out
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int'l Intrigue
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Video: George Groves - Christopher Rebrasse Weigh-In
- The Current 20 Most Exciting Boxers – A Statistical Analysis
- American heavyweight sensation Jarrell Miller on MSG tonight
- Lightweight Jose Roman Training Camp Notes
- GOLOVKIN/RUBIO Standing Room Only Tickets on Sale Today at 1pm PT!!!
- Wright vs Bujaj on MSG tonight
- Kal Yafai is looking to add a second major title to his collection
- Andy Gatenby seeking sixth straight win
Elvir Muriqi to take on Paul Vasquez on March 15th in Whippany, New Jersey
WHIPPANY, NEW JERSEY (February 26, 2013)—On Friday night, March 15th Light Heavyweight contender Elvir “The Kosovo Kid” Muriqi returns to the ring when he takes on Paul Vazquez in a scheduled eight round bout at the Birchwood Manor in Whippany, New Jersey.
That bout plus a full undercard is promoted by Vito Mielnicki’s GH3 Promotions and Greg Cohen Promotions.
The thirty-three year old Muriqi has a record of 39-5 with 24 knockouts and is looking to make another run to the top of the Heavyweight rankings.
The native of New York City won 30 of his first 31 bouts with his lone blemish being a controversial disqualification defeat. In that streak Muriqi had quality wins over Joseph Harris, Sammy Ahmad, James Crawford and Tony Menefee. After dropping two of three, Muriqi went on a three fight winning streak that set up a showdown with former undisputed Light Heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver.
Muriqi fought a valiant fight for which some ringsiders thought he may have pulled off the upset. In the end it was Tarver who took the majority decision in their Showtime televised bout on June 9, 2007.
Muriqi rebounded with a 4th round stoppage over Jameel Wilson which set him up for an IBF elimination bout against former world champion Clinton Woods.
Once again Muriqi put on a great performance before dropping a unanimous decision in front of Woods hometown crowd in England.
Muriqi is currently riding a four fight winning streak with wins over Daniel Judah and his most recent win over Chris Grays on December 10, 2011.
Vazquez, 34 years old of Martinez, California has a respectable record of 9-2-1 with three knockouts. He has won three in a row with the latest being a third round stoppage over Brett Urban on May 19, 2011. Vazquez also has a draw with former world title challenger Pat Lawlor.
In the six round co-feature, John Thompson (10-0, 3 KO’s) will take on Calvin Odom in a Jr. Middleweight bout.
Thompson) of Newark, NJ has been stepping up the competition with each fight. The twenty-three year old has quality wins over Jermond Bourgeois (TKO 2), John Mackey (UD) and his last bout when he scored a six round unanimous decision over Elie Augustama on December 1st at Madison Square Garden as part of the Austin Trout – Miguel Cotto championship fight card.
Odom of Inglewood, CA has a record of 15-13 with 11 wins by knockout. Odom has faced top competition and has defeated the likes of undefeated Juan Gil, Jose Luis Zertuche, and Srrgio Rios and has also faced Grady Brewer (twice), Roberto Garcia, former world title challenger Marco Antonio Rubio, Sebastian Valdez, Jose Antonio Ojeda, Walter Wright, Luciano Perez, Charles Hatley, Wale Omotoso, Tony Harrison and his last bout he dropped an eight round decision to Joe Greene on January 10th
In what figure to be a six round Heavyweight slugfest, it will be the battle of New Jersey when Patrick Farrell (8-1-1, 4 KO’s) of Jersey City takes on John Lennox (10-2, 5 KO’s) of Carteret.
In four round bouts, Danny Gonzalez (1-0) of Queens, NY will square off with Carlos Nieves (0-1) of New York in a Jr. Welterweight bout.
In a four round Jr. Lightweight bout, Glenford Nickey (1-0-1) of New York, NY battles Anolan Rigal (1-3-1, 1 KO) of Johnson City, NY
Anthony “Juice”Young (6-0, 2 KO’s) of Atlantic City will fight an opponent to be named in a Welterweight bout.
In a heavyweight bout, Tyrell Wright (1-0) Bayonne, NJ takes on Lamont Capers (1-1) of Hawley, PA
Popular Vinny O’Brien (3-2, 2 KO’s) of East Hanover, NJ returns to the ring when he takes on Anthony Smith (1-1) of Brooklyn in a Jr. Welterweight bout
Rounding out the card will be the pro debut of Ricky Edwards boxing Moses Molina (1-3, 1 KO) of Bridgeton, NJ in a Lightweight bout.
THERE WILL BE A PRESS CONFERENCE ON FRIDAY MARCH 8TH AT THE MARIOTT IN WHIPPANY AT 11 AM
Tickets are priced at $150 (VIP Ringside—which includes a cocktail hour and tickets in the 1st two rows); $100 Ringside and $50 for General Admission and can be purchased by going online at www.gh3promotions.com; www.eliteheatgym.com or calling Elite Heat Gym at 862-772-2532
The Birchwood Manor is located at
111 N Jefferson Rd Whippany, NJ 07981
- Fight To Educate Boxing Results
- Conquest, Sparrow & Wright post wins at Tuesday Night Fights in Philadelphia
- The Calm after the “Mayhem”
- “My Fingers Was Numb!” Mayweather Survives Alleged Nom, Dances to UD in Maidana Rematch
- Cecilia Brækhus unifies division
- Danny McDermott wins WBU junior welterweight championship in GenSan
- Floyd Mayweather Remains Perfect In Rematch With Marcos Maidana on SHOWTIME PPV
- Video: George Groves – Christopher Rebrasse Weigh-In
- Back at home Chris Algieri’s whirlwind continues
- The Sweet Sucker Punch: Georgie Benton
- Interview: Explosive Joseph Parker meets a Tank
- Pacquiao-Algieri PPV Undercard Packs Plenty of Int’l Intrigue
- Coach Kevin Barry discusses the prospects of his exciting young protégé Joseph Parker
- Gerald Washington, a big man looking to do big things