- Derek Ennis Steps in to Face Caleb Truax on Friday, July 25, At UIC Pavilion in Chicago
- Czar Returns to Sands 8/9 for NBCSN Fight Night
- Gavronski, Tureano Headline ESPN Friday Night Fights and Noche de Combates
- Matchroom Boxing Fight Pass launches in August
- Elton Dharry to headline against Antwan Robertson Friday, August 1
- Dierry Jean eyes Terence Crawford At lightweight or junior welterweight
Boyd Melson dominates King in Gotham City!
Boyd “Rainmaker” Melson hit durable Alabaman Gundrick “Sho Gun” King with everything but the kitchen sink during their eight round all-southpaw main event Wednesday evening at BB King Blues Club in New York City.
Melson, who had the support of a standing room only crowd at a place he’s accustomed to helping sell out, was in total control from the opening bell. The beloved 2003 West Point grad found a home early and often for right hooks, straight left hands and hard body punches, making King visibly uncomfortable. The 5’5 King, a former D1 college football player, was wobbled on a few occasions but displayed excellent toughness and made it obvious he wasn’t going away. Ultimately, Melson’s consistent offensive attack and his ability to step outside of the pocket after firing shots at King powered him to an impressive victory.
All three judges scored the middleweight bout 80-72 in favor of Melson.
“I haven’t fought a southpaw since my second pro fight and he was very short so I had to work hard to hit him with combinations,” said Melson, who improved to 13-1-1 with 4 knockouts. “I wasn’t discouraged (that a knockout probably wasn’t coming) and I kept trying to get him out of there but he was very tough physically. My rhythm was good especially during the last few rounds since I was connecting then moving out of the way.”
His next bout will likely take place at BB King against fellow fan favorite Mike Ruiz, with information to follow shortly.
Following the victory, Melson contined his pledge to help cure chronic Spinal Cord Injuries by donating 100% of his purse to Justadollarplease.org in support of America’s first trial of its kind.
- Cameron Hammond outpoints Argentina’s Alfredo Rodolfo Blanco
- Ruslan Chagaev wins “Regular” WBA heavyweight title with majority decision win over Fres Oquendo
- Farenas stops Davis in 8th Dib & Martin win decisions
- Williams, Vincent remain unbeaten through tough battles on undercard of ESPN showcase
- Tori Nelson retains title in Baltimore!
- Younan And Cruz Stay Unbeaten At Foxwoods
- De Alba wins 11th in a row with 5th round stoppage over Batres
- Mikey Garcia: Lara could out-box Canelo
- Lara: After Canelo, I want Mayweather
- Brook: I’ll prove I am the real deal against Porter
- Canelo vs Lara Grand Arrival Photos, Videos
- Arum makes offer to Algieri to face Pacquiao next on 11/22 in Macao
- Pugilist KOrner Radio: Don Chargin, Peter Quillin, Steve Smoger, Austin Trout, Brian Viloria, Vanes Martirosyan, and Mike Stafford
- A Tale of Two Anthony’s: Upcoming fights featuring 2012 Olympians Anthony Joshua and Ogogo