- Austin Trout looking to turn his career around against Daniel Dawson
- Is Canelo capable of taking the baton from Mayweather to become boxing’s next PPV star?
- Maidana throwing 100 punches per round in training for Mayweather
- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Golovkin with chance to become Cotto’s WBC mandatory if he beats Rubio
- Kell Brook’s trainer doesn’t want him to take an easy fight on December 6th
- Weights from “New Blood” in Corona, CA
- Howard Davis Jr. “Donovan, you don’t stand a chance against Dyah”
- MAYWEATHER PROMOTIONS CONFIRMED FOR INAUGURAL BOX FAN EXPO TO TAKE PLACE SEPT. 13 IN LAS VEGAS
- FIGHT FANS READY FOR AUGUST 22 ESPN FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS FROM PECHANGA RESORT & CASINO
- Abraham-Smith: kick-off press conference – quotes
- Kiwitt Back On Home Soil
First-quarter stock rose for Acquinity Sports
Photo by Rey Sanchez — DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. (April 4, 2013) – The first-quarter of 2013 closed with Acquinity Sports pitching a perfect game, as its fighters won all four fights they participated in, highlighted by International Boxing Federation (IBF) super featherweight titlist Argenis “The Thunderstorm” Mendez (21-2, 11 KOs) becoming the second-year promotional company’s first world champion
Mendez, a 2004 Dominican Republic Olympian now living in Miami, dropped defending champion Juan Carlos Salgado in the opening round of their March 9 title fight Costa Mesa, California on HBO Latino, finishing him off in the fourth. Mendez is No. 3 in The Ring Magazine ratings.
Acquinity sports had Juan Manual Lopez or Yuriorkis Gamboa in its sites as Mendez’ next opponent.
Last weekend on ESPN Friday Night Fights, Cuban light heavyweight Umberto “The Don” Savigne (11-1, 8 KOs) added the World Boxing Organization (WBO) Latino title to his growing display case, pounding previously undefeated Brazilian slugger Jackson Junior (14-0, 13 KOs) until the fight ended in the fourth due to the three-knockdown rule.
Savigne, rated No. 4 by the World Boxing Association (WBA), also dropped Jackson in the second round of their fight at Turning Stone Casino (Verona, NY). The hard-hitting 175-pounder from Cuba, who also lives in Miami, is rated No. 10 by the World Boxing Council (WBC).
Another dangerous Cuban, 2008 Olympic silver medalist Yudel Jhonson (13-1, 8 KOs), kicked-off 2013 for Acquinity Sports, rebounding from his only loss as a professional to register a win by eight-round decision over Dashon Johnson on January 12 in Sunrise, Florida. Jhonson is rated No. 15 by the WBA.
Undefeated Cuban bantamweight Alexei Collado (16-0, 15 KOs), who lives in Cork, Ireland, needed less than one round to stop veteran Juan Jose Beltran on Mar. 15 in Kissimmee, Florida.
“”Our success is a total team effort,” noted Henry Rivalta, Acquinity Sports vice president of boxing operations, “from our CEO, Gary Jonas, to our trainers, Herman Caidedo and Micky Ward, and all our fighters who put in the hard work, day in and day out. I am very happy to see what we’ve done this past quarter. I couldn’t be happier to work with such a good group of individuals.”
The Acquinity Sports beat figures to continue during the next few months as two-division world champion, WBA No. 5 Joan “Little Tyson” Guzman (33-1-1, 20 KOs), is scheduled to take on Vincente “El Loco” Mosquera (32-2-1, 17 KOs), on May 30 or 31, likely in the Dominican Republic, for the Interim WBA super lightweight title.
Go online to www.AquinitySports.com for additional information about Mendez or his stable-mates. Follow Acquinity Sports on Twitter @AcquinitySports, or friend is at Facebook.com/AcquinitySports.
- Results from “Path to Glory SD Style” San Diego, CA
- Anthony Barnes takes out Darryl Fields with a first round KO
- Brook Upsets Porter to take home the title
- Figueroa stops Estrada in an exciting fight
- Dirrell wins rematch with Bika, takes home the belt
- Brook defeats Porter; Dirrell and Bika look poor; Figueroa toughs it out
- Deontay Wilder stops Gavern, wants Klitschko after Stiverne fight
- Pacquiao to train 7 weeks for Algieri fight
- Ricky Burns looking for 3rd division world title at 140 in 2015
- Broner: Khan and Brook can’t beat me
- Robert Garcia impressed with Algieri’s talent level
- Brandon Rios vs. Ruslan Provodnikov in the works for November
- Alfredo Angulo not worried about September 13th fight against De La Rosa
- Cotto working on selecting his December 13th opponent