- Lennox Clarke Spars Callum Smith
- Beamen Ready to Rule!
- Sampson Boxing Reaches Promotional Agreement with Canada’s Tyson Cave
- Joey Dawejko scores 2nd consecutive 1st round knockout
- Heavyweight Prospect LaRon Mitchell Signs w/ Thompson Boxing; Fights this Friday on “Path to Glory”
- “Bad” Chad Dawson returns to Foxwoods resort casino on October 4th
Frank Warren and GLL Announce Six Fight Boxing Deal at Copper Box Arena
Leading boxing promoter Frank Warren has today (10th June 2013) announced a major multi-fight agreement for the Copper Box Arena with venue operator GLL, the UK’s largest Social Enterprise. The deal will guarantee that world class boxing will be at the heart of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park sports offering and re-enforces East London as the spiritual home of boxing in the UK. It comes less than one month before the North of the Park re-opens to the general public for the first time since the 2012 Games.
The 7,000 seat Copper Box Arena was known as the “box that rocks” during the London Olympics and looks set to become one of the leading indoor sporting venues in the country. The agreement will see some of the best boxers and exciting fights hosted at venue and will offer up to 42,000 Londoners the chance to enjoy the sport first hand.
Headlining the first event on Saturday 21st September will be the highly anticipated British Middleweight Title showdown between the unbeaten champion Billy Joe Saunders from Hatfield and the undefeated challenger John Ryder from Islington. Further title fights and full undercard will be announced shortly.
Commenting on the announcement, Frank Warren said: “This is a superb setting for boxing. The Copper Box is what all the investment in the Olympics was about – legacy and giving London a fantastic arena. I’m looking forward to bringing the big fights to this venue.”
Boris Johnson, Mayor of London, said: “This is a knockout deal for the Copper Box Arena adding to the stellar line up of elite sport set to take place at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. Last year saw spectacular boxing performances from Team GB, so it is welcome news that world class bouts are returning to east London which is underlining once again the benefits we are seeing from the 2012 Games.”
Phil Lane, Head of Sport at GLL said: “We are delighted to be working with Frank Warren Promotions and to have secured a deal which will bring World Class boxing to the Copper Box. Agreements such as these clearly demonstrate that the Olympic Legacy is alive and well and that Londoners will see the benefits of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
“GLL is a strong supporter of boxing at all levels. Through our GLL Sport Foundation we provide financial and practical backing to Olympic medallists Anthony Joshua and Nicola Adams and sponsor Repton Boxing Club, one of the oldest and most successful boys clubs in London.”
Dennis Hone, Chief Executive, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park said: “Boxing belongs in East London and Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park will provide a powerful backdrop for the sport’s heavy hitters. This hugely exciting announcement builds on what we’ve already achieved and shows the Park’s true potential as a fantastic visitor destination that will leave a lasting legacy in east London.”
Ticket prices will range from £40 to £120 and will be available for sale from 10am on Tuesday 11th June 2013 at www.eventim.co.uk
The Copper Box Arena in Hackney Wick is the first of the permanent legacy venues to open on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (27th July 2013) and the deal for boxing has been warmly welcomed by the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) who oversee all Park activity. Boxing has been a strong Olympic sport for Great Britain and according to the latest Sport England survey is one of the fastest growing participation sports in the UK.
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- Wizardry: Palacios overcomes layoff to dominate Mendoza!
- Chuy Gutierrez wins first title Saturday in Las Vegas
- Groves back with a unanimous decision verdict to claim European crown and WBC mandatory position
- Dargan & Mchunu Walk Away With NABF Titles
- Groves defeats Rebrasse, now WBC mandatory for Dirrell
- Cletus Seldin blasts out Gil!
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Mayweather Promotions, Alex Ariza, Manny Pacquiao & More!!!
- Rick Glaser talks Mayweather/Maidana
- Tyson Fury Restrained By Tape, Chisora Vows Ko Win
- Salido defeats Kokietgym in war
- The Return of the Saint
- Khan could be next for Mayweather, says Floyd Sr
- Groves asks Froch for fight, and gets turned down