- Carl Froch: The Reluctant Warrior
- Canelo vs. Angulo: We Didn't Learn Anything New
- Will Miguel Cotto vs. Sergio Martinez Decide Canelo's Next Rival?
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Canelo vs Angulo, Santa Cruz, Rigondeaux, and Tony Weeks!
- The Pugilist KOrner: Ann Wolfe, Kermit Cintron, Sugar Hill, Karim Mayfield, Gary Russell Jr, and more
- Froch-Groves meet at Wembley press conference ahead of rematch - 60,000 tickets gone in an hour!
- Scouting Report for Saturday’s Chilemba-Grachev Fight on NBCSN Fight Night
- “San Diego Fights: Border War” Set for Friday, April 4th!
- Gulfstream Promotions card featuring Brandon Quarles This Saturday night in Springfield, VA.
- NBCSN Fight Night Only Place to Catch Adamek-Glazkov – Tickets Sold Out!
- Ceylan to fight Urena at the Nordic Fight Night in Esbjerg
- M-1 Challenge 46 Fact Sheet for Friday in Russia
Ganaway vs. Vallecillo – March 23rd
Every trainer within the sport of boxing aspires to cultivate a world champion. For legendary fight coach, Jose Angel Lopez of San Antonio, Texas, one just hasn’t been enough.
It’s been almost 23 years since the beloved Alamo City boxing mentor originally won championship gold with the incomparable Robert “El Pikin” Quiroga. The late great fighter captured the IBF Super Flyweight title by defeating Juan Polo Perez in the United Kingdom on April 21st, 1990, bringing the city of San Antonio its first world championship in the sport of boxing.
On Saturday, March 23rd, 2013, the world renowned general of Angel’s Boxing Club will begin another quest for a major world title.
Live at the Sunset Station in Downtown San Antonio, Joe Lopez’s latest protégé, Rashad “The One” Ganaway (13-3-1, 9 KOs), will take another step towards boxing immortality when he faces the always tough Tony Ayala Sr. apprentice, Justo Vallecillo (6-14, 3 KOs), in the main event of the evening.
Mr. Lopez believes Rashad Ganaway has what it takes to become a title holder in the competitive 135 pound weight division.
“I think Rashad has the athletic gifts to be San Antonio’s next world champion,” insists Joe Angel Lopez. “He has the speed, skill, and discipline to go very far in the sport. And we’re currently working hard to develop the ‘killer instinct’ every prizefighter needs to gain a world title.”
“Robert Quiroga possessed that special kind of hunger, and that’s what I’m cultivating in Rashad as well. It’s what separates champions from contenders at the elite level of boxing.”
The famed San Antonio trainer insists “The Quest” for championship glory is what continues to drive his mentoring efforts.
“I really want to develop one more world champion,” admits Joe Lopez. “It’s what keeps me going. I know I have something special in Rashad Ganaway. But all of the tutelage and mentoring doesn’t do a fighter any good unless he believes it himself. Rashad is well on his way to realizing his dream of becoming a championship fighter.”
But Mr. Lopez knows there is no major world title opportunity without a definitive victory over Tony Ayala’s relentless fighter.
“I have a lot of respect for Tony Ayala as a man and a trainer,” expounds the prolific fight trainer. “I know he’s going to have his fighter prepared and well conditioned for a very difficult fight. We can’t afford to look past Justo Vallecillo on March 23rd, or we ultimately risk losing everything we’ve worked so hard to achieve.”
“Justo Vallecillo is going to bring the pressure from start to finish and make my fighter work for all three minutes of every round. So we’ll find out on Saturday, March 23rd, if Rashad has the mental and physical strength to become a world champion in boxing.”
“The Quest” for the next world champion in the Alamo City begins on Saturday, March 23rd, at Sunset Station in San Antonio, Texas.
Rashad Ganaway vs Justo Vallecillo in the Lightweight 8rd Main Event
Javier Rodriguez vs TBA in the Featherweight 4rd Co-Main Event
Gregory Gutierrez vs Rolando Campos – Lightweight 6rd Special Feature
Rafael Casias vs Omar Gonzalez – Super Flyweight 6rd Special Feature
Jessie Anguiano vs Robert Ledezma – Super Bantamweight 4rd Special Feature
Benjamin Whitaker vs Frank Ramirez – Welterweight 4rd Special Feature
John Arrevalo vs Roberto Lara – Welterweight 4rd Special Feature
Tickets start as low as $20 and are available by calling 210-771-2732, 210-325-0140, or 210-589-7654!!
Legend versus Legend…Prospect versus Prospect…The Quest begins on March 23rd!
- Canelo stops Angulo in 10th; Santa Cruz defeats Mijares
- Rustam Nugaev and Roman Morales Victorious on ESPN Friday Night Fights
- Disappointment For Marston, Prince Reigns Supreme, Sensational Ozgul Bros roll on
- Hardy & Paddock Claim Titles in Bumper Night of Boxing Action
- Acourtier ‘Warzone’ Event Review
- Thompson Boxing Promotions “New Blood” Results: Carlson Wins WBC Latino 118 lb. Title
- DeGale defeats Khatchikian in a surprisingly competitive fight
- Anthony Peterson vs. Marcos Jimenez, March 21st ESPN FNF Co-Main
- Vanes Martirosyan Media Workout Quotes
- Danny Garcia eyes future Mayweather showdown if he beats Herrera this Saturday
- Al Haymon Signs Baltimore Featherweight Gervonta Davis
- Ekpo wants all the big fights in the world
- Hopkins-Shumenov Announce Light Heavyweight Unification Bout
- Froch/Groves – Promotion for Dummies?