GB Boxing team secures six medals at the Feliks Stamm Memorial Tournament
The GB Boxing squad has warmed-up for the forthcoming European Championships by winning six medals at the Feliks Stamm Memorial Tournament in Warsaw, Poland (22-27 April 2013).
The team of seven men and two women came away with two gold medals, two silvers and two bronze.
First to win gold was flyweight, Andrew Selby, who continued his sensational form from the recent World Series of Boxing (WSB) where he was the number one ranked boxer in his weight class.
The Welsh flyweight was never troubled as he eased to the gold medal with four wins and a series of impressive performances culminating in a 9-6 victory over Russia’s Vasilij Vetkin in the final.
The second gold went to Liverpool’s Antony Fowler in his first competitive appearance since breaking a bone in his hand last November.
Boxing at middleweight (75kg), Fowler looked impressive as he stopped his Polish opponent Adrian Plichta in the quarter-final and kept his nerve well to overcome a second home nation boxer, Ireneusz Zakrzewski, 9-8 in a tense final.
Silver medals for light-heavyweight, Lawrence Osueke and super-heavyweight, Frazer Clarke, were a well-deserved reward for a good week’s work from two members of GB Boxing’s Podium Potential squad.
Both boxers showed they are growing in confidence at international level and did no harm to their hopes of selection for the forthcoming European Championships, which begin on 1 June 2013 in Minsk, Belarus.
In the women’s competition, London 2012 Olympian, Natasha Jonas and Lisa Whiteside – in her first international outing as 51kg flyweight- both came away with bronze medals in their first competitive action of the season for Great Britain.
GB Boxing’s Performance Director, Rob McCracken, said: “We sent nine boxers to the tournament so to come away with six medals is an excellent performance by the team. It was a very good warm-up for the men ahead of the forthcoming European Championships and all of them will have benefitted and learnt something from taking part in what was a good standard of competition.”
Details of every bout from the tournament are available at www.gbboxing.org.uk.
- OSCAR DE LA HOYA ELECTED TO THE INTERNATIONAL BOXING HALL OF FAME
- Adrien Broner and Marcos Maidana media conference call MEDIA
- Three R&R Promotions fighters collect WBC USA titles over the weekend
- Josesito Lopez quotes
- Manny Pacquiao Is Back On April 12, At The MGM Grand, Las Vegas
- Bob Arum: “We’re Willing To Make Anything Happen”
- De La Hoya, Trinidad and Calzaghe all headed into The Hall of Fame – all three greats fully deserving of the honour
- Australian Boxing: Zac Dunn Stops Marlon Alta in Five
- Jeff Lacy Returns With Third Round Stoppage
- Travis Kauffman dismantles Barnett in the first round
- Nothing Spoiled in Quebec: Stevenson and Kovalev are Victorious
- Adonis Stevenson – Fighter Of The Year for 2013?
- Gaelle Amand And Nikki Adler Victorious In WBF World Title Fights
- Stevenson obliterates Bellew; Kovalev crushes Sillakh