- Mayweather Vs. Maidana: Preview And Prediction
- The Pound-for-Pound Top 10
- Manny Pacquiao: good enough to compete, but should now retire
- Maidana doesn't have the power but maybe he has the style to beat Money
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Beibut Shumenov: Preview And Prediction
- Maidana Not worried about Mayweather's Power
- A Trio of U.S. Boxers Earn Preliminary Round Victories at the 2014 Youth World Championships
- Chinese Taipei impress in Sofia
- Browne v Bahoeli to be broadcast to Australia and across Asia
- Brandon Adams looks to stay undefeated with win over Gatica
- Frazer Clarke looking to make history in next week’s England Boxing National Finals
- McDonnell lands dream World title fight at Wembley
Gennady Golovkin: Superstardom Awaits!
Matthew Macklin: ‘Golovkin Is Way Way Better Than Martinez’
Who could have possibly failed to have been mightily impressed by Gennady Golovkin’s one-punch KO over the very experienced Matthew Macklin last night? “GGG,” was being spoken about as the single hardest puncher in boxing today BEFORE his brutal body shot win over the brave and gutsy, and usually durable Macklin – now, fans everywhere are even more excited about the softly spoken fighter from Kazakhstan who holds the WBA and IBO 160-pound titles.
Many good experts felt Macklin – who had pushed Felix Sturm and Sergio Martinez hard in previous title challenges – would test the unbeaten 31-year-old. Instead, Golovkin, 27-0(24) won in sensationally devastating style. But the ride could be just beginning for “GGG,” his team and his ever-growing number of fans. Traditionally, boxing fans adore a puncher, to the extent that they are ready and willing to part with hard cash to see one in action. Golovkin, as surely everyone agrees, is a pure puncher. More than that, though, Golovkin has skills, speed, class and a fine boxing brain. The sky really is the limit for him.
Already, fans are asking for Golovkin to get it on with the “real” middleweight king Sergio Martinez (a fight Golovkin desperately wants), while the thought of match-ups between Golovkin and the likes of Carl Froch, Andre Ward and others are enough to give fight fans palpitations! And, just think how exciting and enormous a Golovkin-Floyd Mayweather Junior showdown could be (“GGG’s” Dream Fight)!
There are a number of great punchers and/or potential superstars in boxing today – Lucas Matthyysse, Adrien Broner, Saul Alvarez for example – but the seemingly unbeatable fighting machine from Karaganda seems to be the hottest thing in the sport right now.
What they said after last night’s terrific win from Golovkin:
“There are no weaknesses in that man,” former lightweight king Jim Watt.
“He reminds me of Julian Jackson, Gerald McClellan – he is a throwback,” former cruiserweight boss Johnny Nelson.
“It isn’t just the power, it’s the pressure,” P-4-P star Andre Ward.
“He didn’t break a sweat [in beating Macklin],” top-ranked middleweight Martin Murray.
“How to beat him? Take a baseball bat into the ring!,” Murray again.
“GGG is a beast. Golovkin V Carl Froch at 168 would be epic,” promoter Eddie Hearn.
“Hats off to Matthew Macklin, but that GGG is frightening!,” welterweight contender Kell Brook.
“Gennady Golovkin is too talented for his own good,” top scribe Kevin Iole.
“Without a shadow of a doubt, he is the best kid I have ever fought,” the vanquished Macklin, who fell to 29-5(20).
“[Martinez] is not going to come off a 14-month layoff and fight this animal,” promoter Lou DiBella, as quoted by Iole.
And will that be the biggest problem for Golovkin: getting the best to face him?
- July Draws with Graves; Vows for better showing in next bout
- Jordan Shimmell wins by TKO on the Golden Boy show in Chicago
- Pacquiao is back as he beats Bradley
- Left-Hook Lounge Mailbag: Pacquiao vs Bradley, Canelo vs Lara, and Bob Arum!!
- Video: Manuel Charr outworks Kevin Johnson over ten
- ‘The Master’ Masternak dominates in Denmark
- Andy Lee Wins Denmark Encounter
- Official Weigh-in Results for Hopkins-Shumenov
- Hopkins – Shumenov weigh-in livestream at 1pm ET
- Bernard Hopkins warns Shumenov ‘to get ready for school’
- Video: Crolla vs. Murray weigh-in
- Video: Quigg vs Munyai Weigh-In
- Malignaggi vs. Porter: Which Shawn “Showtime” Porter will show up against the Magic Man in DC?
- Showtime Tripleheader gives BHOP a chance to add more legend to his longevity